1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Zeroing

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by bealz998, Sep 20, 2014.

1. bealz998

bealz998 Junior Member

Hello all I'm after a piece of kit that help zero a scope what are they called ? And where's the cheapest place to buy it from

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I'm not sure what your wanting,the scope is zeroed manually by referencing the point of impact,unless you're after one of those fancy laser bore sighters?

3. Johnniepk

Johnniepk Member

4. Greg1983

Greg1983 Busy Member

Laser bore sights are about £11 on eBay, but easier way use a clamp, pop gun in a clamp face barrel at a target shoot it then move cross hair on to pellet hole :)

5. zippo1973

zippo1973 Donator

Zero it manually, if mounted correctly will take you about 10 minutes max.

6. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Duper Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

the bore sighters are only a gauge and will not fully zero it for you

7. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

In terms of 'gadgets' there are 2 options, the laser boresighter and this type http://www.uttings.co.uk/p104313-hawke-shot-saver-combo-hk3423/#.VB6hJmNj1X8
    They are intended to get you close enough to zero properly on a target and their main use is for centre fire rifles where ammo costs are high and if you're even a little off you won't hit a 3 ft target at 100 yards.
    For air rifle use it's not really needed, have a look on youtube for 'one shot zeroing' or scope zeroing and you will find plenty of hints. It's usually easier if you have a Workmate or similar to clamp the rifle in while you're making the adjustments - if you have a pcp you could actually shoot it from the workmate.

8. Slaine2000ad

Slaine2000ad Member

I've zeroed my rifle to pinpoint accuracy at 30m but what the best way? If pellet lands right of centre turn scope left (lands high turn scope down) or clamp gun an move scope right (and up)? Is each way the same result or each way for certain scopes??

9. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned BANNED

Iv always zerod manually I didnt no there was a gadget to zero it for you ...atb

10. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Best thing is to have a look at those youtube videos but the idea is that you mark an aim point on a piece of paper at your chosen range and then shoot a group of 5 shots. Now you clamp your rifle in the workmate/vice whatever and adjust it until its pointing exactly at the aim point you were using. Now, having previously removed the turret caps, you adjust the turrets until the crosshair falls exactly in the centre of the group you just shot. Your rifle is now shooting exactly where you're looking, check by shooting another group and make any fine adjustment required.
    If you don't have something to clamp the rifle in then you can do it easily enough. Mark your aim point and shoot your group and measure the distance your group is away from the aim point - this should be in the format of (say) 2 1/2 " right and 1 1/2 " high (just an example). You make one adjustment at a time so start with vertical you need to come down - your scope turret is probably marked U or UP so you will in this example have to turn it in the opposite direction to the arrow. The amount you have to turn it depends on the scope but commonly they are 1 click moves it 1/4" at 100 yards so if you are zeroing at 25 yards 1 click will only move it 1/16" (1/4 x 25/100) so to move it 1 1/2" you will need 24 clicks. Then shoot it and make sure you've moved the dial in the right direction and you should be nearly on vertically. Now go to the windage/horizantal adjustment, this dial is usually marked L or left and this is the way that (in this example) you need to go. At 25 yards again you will need 40 clicks.
    Now you shoot another group and make any fine adjustments required.
    The clamp method is the simplest as you can look through the scope and see the reticle moving as you make adjustments, if you shooting is good enough (very few are) you can do this with a single shot.

11. mhgh9

mhgh9 Engaging Member

Best piece of kit to zero any scope? Mark 1 eyeball !

12. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

It's worth getting used to counting clicks. It'll probably be written on the scope somewhere but most likely 1 click will move the reticle a 1/4 inch at 100 yds, so in practise 5 clicks will move it 1/4" at 20M.

Set a target at 20M, fire a five shot group while aiming at the target center, if the group is say 3" to the right & 1" high, adjust the scope 60 clicks Left & 20 clicks down & that should be it.

It all goes a bit pear shaped with older & cheaper scopes, but something like a Nikko or a Hawke should be fine, at least mine are.

13. Cymru-Dave

Cymru-Dave Donator

There's really only one way to zero, and that's manually, it can be done quickly, cheaply and done in the field if you should take a knock, I see a few people on FB forums asking if someone can zero their scope for them, it's really simple once you look into it

14. bealz998

bealz998 Junior Member

Okay thanks for all the feedback I'll have a play with it then cheers

15. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

You're right, any zeroing will have to be finished by shooting and adjusting manually and it is easy but only if you know how to do it. Nowadays it takes me a couple of minutes to get a scope spot on but for someone who has never done it and doesn't understand the basic concepts it's a totally different matter which is why clamping the rifle and moving the reticle to the group centre is useful as it shows what the adjusters really do.
    When I started fitting and zeroing scopes on centre fire rifles it was usually a job of fitting the bases to the action and then fitting the scope. It was useful to be able to plug the shot saver device into the muzzle and then a quick twiddle on the dials to get it ready for a trip to the range knowing that it would be within a few inches. At that time we didn't have laser boresighters so this was a useful device, one which I wish I'd kept.
    It;s something which would help these people who suddenly find that they've run out of scope adjustment as you can make changes to the rifle/scope at home and immediately see if any changes have made a difference without making a trip to somewhere you can actually shoot.
    Just like Chairgun etc these gadgets serve a purpose, some people will never need them but others will find them useful.

16. jonesy185

jonesy185 Busy Member

Bore sight will save you loads of shots , but better off doing it as stated on here to mount it take a shot then refine your crosshairs to the first shot