1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

zeroing, what am i doing wrong

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by shadow, Sep 24, 2007.

1. shadow

shadow Active Member

I seem to be having some trouble zeroing me scopes.

@10 yards the groups are OK, but when i go to 20 yards, it seems the pellets just go were they want:confused: :mad:.

take a look at the target i was shooting @ >>>>>>> http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/535/img051dw8.jpg

It may help you to understand whats going on.

any one got any suggestions,

ATB Shadow.

2. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

zero

what tpe of gun and pellets are you using simple things like shooting of a rest when zeroing can be critical

3. shadow

shadow Active Member

am shooting with a AA S410 22 and the pellets are RWS Super dome (Field Line)

I'v just say got the gun this week end, and to day is the first time i'v shot at a target with it, i just when to an aria i have permission to shoot on. found me self a nice comfortable place to lie down in, and went and set up my target up @ 10 Yards. started zeroing in. and this is the result i got (check link to pic in first post).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  4. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Remove the silencer and try again to see if it's clipping.

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

ok i'l give that a go..

but i'v already looked at the end of the silencer, And i cant see any signs of the pellets cliping :confused:
    I scand the end of the silencer, and as you can see there's no sign of clipping (at the end). but this is the best pic i could get to show you.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  6. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

zero

try air arms pellets

7. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

you should be getting "same hole groups" at those ranges. try differet ways of shooting and get really comfortable, take your time with every shot when zeroing until you atleast nearly getting same hole groups. then you should be fine!

pete.:up:

8. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Look on the inside of the end cap

9. Buzz

Buzz Banned

When it happened on my gun I could hear little bits of pellets rattling inside the silencer...but it was exactly the same symptoms I had.

10. AA Anonymous

AA Anonymous Well-Known Member

Hi shadow if you are having good groups at 10 yards i dont think your pellets are clipping the silencer if they were clipping the silencer i would expect every shot to be different although im sure sombody will correct me if i'm wrong. try changing pellets i also shoot with an s410 and use AA field. Different makes, make a hell of a differnce

i posted this on an earlier thread easiest way to prove that your aim is not at fault.

I find the easiest way to zero in a scope is to clamp the gun in a weighted down B&D workmate using your missus fluffiest towel in the jaws to protect the gun. place a piece of plywood in the line of fire at the distance you want to zero in on and fire a couple of shots to check for pellet consistancy if ok adjust the cross hairs to where the pellets hit, fire off a few more shots in a different spot and check if ok try this at various distances. If your out shooting after setting up this way and you miss the target it's you not the gun.
    Unfortunately this way only works with a pcp gun as cocking a springer moves everything about and you also need a long garden.

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

I like that idea of using the workm8. But don't have 1 and my garden isnt big enough to to zero that rifle at the desired distance.
    so i need an alternative to my solution of zeroing the scope, so i guess I'll have to construct something which is light, easy to carry to the aria i have permission to shot on, and is stable enough to hold the rifle, or buy a bi-pod..

all so i forgot to mention, when I'm looking throw the scope, i cant seem to focus on the target and the cross hair, ether the target is bleary of the cross hear is bleary:confused: (@ 10 yard or @20 yards) but @30 yard i see ever thing clearly:confused::confused:. i know my eye sight is fine and yesterday when shooting at the target at those distances i tryed focusing the the eyeball, and my power change ring (zoom) was @ 6 but still the same

am going in to town to day to fill the rifle up and give it another go later this after noon,

12. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

zero

sounds as if your scope isnt parralax adjustable but parralaxed for 30 yards thats why the sight picture is crisp at 30 usually zooming down to about 4 times helps if your gun is 22 zero it in at 9 yards with medium weight pellets you want it going through the same pellet hole at that distance key holing that 9 yards will give you a second zero near 30 yards if 177 try 12 yards key holing agagin medium weight pellets that should give you a secondary zero near 40 yards i actually draw small circles the same size as the pellet and expect it to hit them consistently at 9 or 12 yards that is resting of a bench then fine tune elevation the verticle at 30 or 40 you shouldnt need to adjust the windage if zeroed in perfect at the closer ranges good luck tc

13. Darren Petts

Darren Petts Temporarily Alive

As has been said try removing the silencer and also try AA Field pellets. They are generally brilliant in most guns. Also if the gun is brand new try cleaning the barrel as there may be some contamination from manufacture.

Your scope is probably a fixed parallax one (no focus ring) and as such is set for centrefire ranges, ie 100 yards plus (99% of scopes are sold like this as std). You need to slacken but not remove the end outer ring on the objective bell. It should free by hand on most scopes, and then holding the inner locking ring for the objective lens twist it out a few turns until the range you wish to shoot at is clear. Then holding the inner ring stationary tighten the outer ring back up. This moves the focal range in focus from 30-infinity down to something like 15-45 where you'll need it but it almost always stuffs your zero up totally so be prepared to re-zero. You only need to do this the once so do it sooner rather than later.

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

well i didn't get the chance to go out yesterday with the rifle, and today the weather is just CRAP!

So what i decided to do was, set up at target in the house:eek:. (yes SWMABO was out the house :D) and if she Court me i would have had to stick my head between my leg and kiss me ass good by. I was the only one in the house with the doors locked just to be on the safe side so that i know i was the only one in and no 1 could accidentally walk in and find a 22 pellet stuck in them

KIDS DO !NOT! TRY THIS AT HOME with out a adult present

Any who..

walked 10 yards from point A - B. And i started to fireing at me target and only adjusting the wind age on the scopes.

I fired 10 pellets at each target (=30 ) and I've number the 1-3 and all 30 pellets went in to a 1 inch group. and i put the cross hairs at the same point each time, used a pillow under my chest to help support me much comfortable and a small wooden chair and rested the rifle on the chair cross members so the rifle was stable the hole time i was shooting.

and here's my results http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6827/img054qa6.jpg
    [​IMG]

So i think the other day when i was out with the rifle may be down to the wind, as i recall it was abit windy. and i'v had a look at the silencer still no sighn of clipping. and this time round the grouping is much better.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  15. topcat

topcat Posting Addict

groups

now try at 30 yards that will show any in accuracy problems up to be honest you should be getting those size groups at 30 yards get those air arms pellets can make an hell of a difference

16. shadow

shadow Active Member

17. Darren Petts

10 yard groupings will tell you very little. You need to be doing the tests at 25 yards or more. Super Hollow Points have an exceptionally poor BC so loose energy fast downrange and may be innaccurate at longer ranges as a result.

18. Buzz

Buzz Banned

TC...could you explain this a little deeper please, this old brain of mine is having great difficulty in understanding how there can be a "secondary zero". In my mind if you zero at something near, then shoot at something further away, you're always gonna be low.

19. Darren Petts

Download chairgun Buzz. It'll explain far better than words but it's very dependant on scope height.

20. Buzz

Buzz Banned

I will Darren, but I think what you've said is enough to make me see something I was missing. The converging angles of scope and barrel are greater at shorter distances and also greater with higher mounts.