1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Zeroing my scope, what can I use to steady my gun?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Tommy-Hawk, May 11, 2012.

1. Tommy-Hawk

Tommy-Hawk Busy Member

Hello fellow shooters, I'll keep this nice and simple. I am new to shooting as some of you may already know from my previous thread, I were just asking if you all had any tips on what to use to keep my gun firm and steady whilst zeroing it? I'll add that I don't own a bean bag to prevent you writing about it :) Many kind regards, Tommy.

2. Dunkman

Dunkman Post Whore

Get a household cushion and fold it over so you get a firm cushion (or fold it again if you can, as long as you end up with a firm cushion) and use that to rest on. If its a springer, rest your wrist on the cushion and support the forend of the gun lightly so as it recoils it can do its 'thing'.

Alternatively, if you have an old pillow cover go and get it and go and raid the cupboard for rice, and lots of it. Fill the pillow cover up (not all the way, just a small part) and then tie a knot in it and cut the surplus off and you have a shooting bean bag :cool:

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  3. Tommy-Hawk

Tommy-Hawk Busy Member

Thanks, so just simply get a firm cushion, fold it and then place the gun ontop of it with me lying down?

4. Dunkman

Dunkman Post Whore

Alternatively, if you have an old pillow cover go and get it and go and raid the cupboard for rice, and lots of it. Fill the pillow cover up (not all the way, just a small part) and then tie a knot in it and cut the surplus off and you have a shooting bean bag.

Don't lie down. Use a steady table or something to rest the bag and gun on and get a chair if possible and sit down, make yourself comfy and fire away. Don't do it prone as you have just added a level of difficulty you don't need or want for zeroing. You want to have the best shooting position possible for maximum accuracy and comfy shooters are accurate shooters !!

5. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

And here's silly old me zeroing all my guns freestanding....

6. Tommy-Hawk

Tommy-Hawk Busy Member

I shall remember not to prone then!! I have a 'beer garden bench/table' which I stole from my mates pub so I use that with a fishing rodrest slotted into the gaps, but I'm having problems with the recoil as it vibrates and means the gun is not firing in the same position everytime hence why I'm asking. I do have old pillow cases though, but afraid I'm not a rice eater so haven't got any of that lying around. Any more ideas? Haha

7. Dunkman

Dunkman Post Whore

Forget the fishing rod rests !!!

If you haven't got rice, go and buy some or you could fill it with lentils, grain, birdseed, in fact anything that is granular. you could even use sand but a bit too firm and damn heavy.

Or, just go and get a cushion and fold it in two.

8. SteveB

SteveB Busy Member

When I zero, I do it at one of my permissions (don't trust neighbours). First I set up my Black & Decker workmate ( folds flat to go in boot), I use a folding chair (because I am old!! LOL), and I nicked my wife's, chihauha's cushion out of his old "igloo bed" and rest my arm on this. I use plastic orange tent pegs to mark the distances (15,30,50 yards) so if I am zeroing more than one rifle I can move the target board about without "goose stepping" out distances every time.
    If it is a quick zero, I park my car on the edge of the field, wind the passenger window down, use afore mentioned dog bed to rest my arm on the open window!
    Pellets go on dash board, along with fags, can of coke in front cup holder and I am soooo comfy!! LOL! If it rains, I just wind the window up turn radio on and wait for it to pass over!!!
    Why make life difficult for yourself!!!! LOL!!!

9. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Big Poster

I rest my springers on a small plastic packed bale of straw you get from pet shops, barley straw if that makes any difference.
    I always try to do it sitting at a table, if I can't get to a table I zero my guns in the FT sitting position as I find this the most stable.

10. DEGS

DEGS Busy Member

The "cheapy" shops have door stops that are bags filled with grain or similar....small enough to carry round ....large enough to rest your wrist on on a table....ideal....and only a couple of quid.
    Or cat litter in a football or large sock works too.....new of course !! LOL

11. Tommy-Hawk

Tommy-Hawk Busy Member

I've resulted into folding a stiff cushion on a bench and then set up camp on a deck chair behind it and bam, got my scope practically zeroed but it did take over like 80 pellets! My new scope that I've ordered should be here sometime next week so I'll have to go through it all again :(

12. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Big Poster

Shouldn't take that many pellets mate, are you doing groups? I always do at leas 3 shot groups, quite often 5 shot groups.
    Start with a few at 10yds, get it bang on then take it out to about 30yds (or your chosen zero point) and do some fine tuning if needed. This is for .22, .177 measurements are a bit different.

13. Tommy-Hawk

Tommy-Hawk Busy Member

I worked out that my targets are roughly 26yards away. I then shot 10 pellets at a time at the same target and they were way off but all practically together in a group, I tweeked the turrets to what was needed and fired another 10 at a different target, still way off. So did some more alterations and fired another 10 shots at a different target once more and again was way off. Did this for about another 30 pellets until I was happy with the 'POI'. But then afer having a slight break, the accuracy seemed to have disappeared, the grouping was off once again. I'm hoping it's because it's a basic scope that came with my SMK-19 when I bought it, I've ordered a Nikko Mountmaster 4-12×50 AO IR so fingers crossed I will be able to zero this one more easily and less frustrating to do so.

14. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Big Poster

Lets hope so mate, my Mountmaster has never let me down.
    Also, make sure all your stock screws are tight and that you are holding the gun properly every time you fire it, google "artillery hold" if you haven't heard of it already.
    Personally I wouldn't be doing 10 shot groups but if you're enjoying it then why not, its all good practice.

15. Tommy-Hawk

Tommy-Hawk Busy Member

I shall get on to it now mate, all about learning isn't it :) I'm sure I'll get the hang of it once my new scope arrives and I'm able to mess about with it.

16. DEGS

DEGS Busy Member

Hi Tommy,
    Once the new scope has arrived and you have it set "in just the right position" on the rifle .....have another play !.....
    Try different holds, pull it into the shoulder via the pistol grip but rest it on your open palm on the cushions.
    Vary the amount of pressure into the shoulder (for your 10 shots...then change) then vary the resting hand, open...( for ten shots) then lightly cradle the rifle (for another 10 shots)
    Really you only need five shots to give a you a picture of whats happening....but 10 is all good ! ....its all about getting to know the rifle behaviour. Only change one thing at a time tho ...so you understand whats improved things LOL.
    What pellets are you using ?
    Have you read on here about "pellet fussy" barrels and how one brand will / may suit your gun better for accuracy ?
    If not this is something else to get your teeth into....
    Maybe other 19 users on here can limit your search and provide a short list ? ... my smk synsg is happy with RWS Superdomes or Superfields and really likes the Falcon ACC+.
    But if / when you do try others put plenty through again (about 30 probably) when you change over ... then draw your conclusion by shooting your groups after those.

ENJOY !!
    Degs

17. Tommy-Hawk

Tommy-Hawk Busy Member

Thanks for that Degs! :)

I am currently using ACCUPELL as my pellet but I do have RWS SUPERPOINTS but I've been told to stay away from the pointed pellets for some reason? And I have not yet been able to come across any 19 users so far as I haven't been on this forum for a long time to be honest (so I'm sure I will). Another thing is that since purchasing my 1st gun which is the SMK-19 around 4 weeks ago, it hasn't been cleant and I have read on here that might be A reason why it's not shooting accurately etc, so I've ordered a cleaning kit and will get the barrel cleaned as soon as that arrives :) Don't want do anything with my gun until the scope arrives though as then I can spend a great deal of my time getting it set up and practicing etc. I shall get back to you after I've had a fiddle! Thanks again mate, appreciate the advice.

18. DEGS

DEGS Busy Member

Hi Toomy
    I think you are referring to a barrel clean ???.....
    This is helpful between pellets when deciding which brand ( why I mentioned shooting 30 before actually checking grouping when you change pellet brands)..or further down the line after you have selected a pellet you want to stick with
    and your accuracy goes off .... or a quick visual spots a "grubby" barrel inside.....or you get into a habit of every 2 tins do a pull thru ????
    You then get onto a very debateble question of cleaning and lubing pellets ....its never ending !!
    Either way ... you can buy a kit like the one you have ordered ...or use a pullthrough (bought) or make one.

I use a stripped telephone / PC wire lots of coloured single wires in there..... long enough to to make a loop at end with a twist...and pass down through the barrel
    put a cleaning patch in the loop...twist ...and pull through ....repeat till patch is clean...if you are storing your gun....then pull thru
    a bit of oil on a new patch.

Its likely that you havent found the correct hold for you / your rifle to get the best from it / you.

Just more practice .....!

Degs

19. Tommy-Hawk

Tommy-Hawk Busy Member

Yeah, I've ordered a pullthrough kit with wipes etc so i'll give that a bash :) I can not honestly thank you enough for this help/advice you are giving me, it means an awful lot and I'm sure it will most definitely help me! Another quick question though.... after a session with my gun, is it okay to be stored in a padded gun bag because I don't have a gun safe to put it in? I'm asking this as I have a lock for the gunbag that I can put on if it's no problem to store the gun in there....

20. gto

gto Engaging Member

when cleaning ALWAYS read up on it first and just incase DO NOT use a brush.

an excellent shot i know told me that "experience when shooting can not be rushed
    get to know your setup inside out and most problems can be over come"

read as much as you can, take all the advice in, you never know when a little gem
    will come out.

practice for about a year, set up your own hft shoot
    begin to believe you could out shoot all comers.
    enter a comp and realise i cant shoot for **** :D

good luck and have fun

rik :up:

Last edited: May 14, 2012