1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Zero problem

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by brettguise, Feb 16, 2012.

1. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

Hey guys. Having a small problem with my HW95K and a Zero shift.

Took it out in the field yesterday with my newly fitted Hawke Sport HD 3-9x50. Its sitting on some Hawke double clamp mounts with a recoil pin in the holes on the gun to avoid mount movement. It was zeroed in my garden at about 20 yards and grouping very nicely. I set a target out to 30 yards to adjust the zero to the correct distance and it was firing far off which I thought was odd. After adjusting and getting nice tight groups in the centre I set out for a bit of shooting. After shooting for a few hours before I left I decided to have a quick go at another target again at 30 yards. The zero was well off again. It was shooting really far right a good 2-3 inches right of the central point but still grouping.

What should I check or do? I presume its the scope that's moved or moving in some way maybe? The gun has only had about 2 tins of pellets through it max. I was thinking if the best option would be to remove the scope and mounts and start again mounting the scope onto the mounts and try to zero again.

Thanks for reading.

2. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

were you changing the zoom or parallax between groups?

3. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

The scope doesn't have AO so the set parallax remained the same. I zeroed on the highest magnification I think and it didn't change throughout my shooting. Surely if I did though it wouldn't throw it off that far. I think I originally zeroed it at 5x at 20 yards and adjusted it to 8 or 9 at 30 yards but then didn't change it for my next target practice a few hours later of which the aim was off again.

4. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

ok, my wife had a hawke sport hd 3-9x40 and shooting at 20 yards the poi would shift up and left 2 inches if you adjusted the zoom from 5-9 power! took the scope back as faulty?
    if the zero is shifting that much something is changing?
    you could check the stock bolts are tight, and mark the scope and mounts with a pencil to see if its creeping. if your still having trouble try changing the scope (if you can) to eliminate that as a fault?
    if the scope has fixed parallax there is a good chance its set at 100 meters and with a 50mm objective you can get as much as 2 or 4 inches parallax error just shifting your head slightly. this happens most when your scope mounts are too high and you have to lift your head higher floating on the cheek rest.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  5. muzzy76

muzzy76 Busy Member

Wouldnt throw the zero of that much if at all.

6. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

Stock bolts should be tight, ill check the scope bolts though tonight that's one thing I didn't double check but they were tight when I put the scope on myself. I can possibly change the scope if this one appears faulty to something else I have. In terms of the fixed parallax I have heard of re parallaxing yourself by unscrewing the lens or something? Would you recommend that? It doesn't have warranty with it anyway.

7. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

you can try setting the scope or gun and scope up so its held steady then aim the cross hairs at objects at different ranges from 20 - 100 meters and try shifting your head/eye left and right or up and down while looking through the scope. only at one distance will the cross hairs stay glued on target, i suspect it will be 100 meters with yours? try it.
    you can re parallax/focus to 30 meters which should eliminate parallax error at that range and minimise it from 25 - 40 meters.
    you can unscrew the objective housing turning it out about a quarter turn and re check parallax until you get it at a range you want. not knowing your scope i cant tell you how but there should be a cover which once unscrewed and taken off reveals the objective lens housing which will unscrew just dont take it right off or you'll loose the nitrogen
    half or 3/4's of a turn should get it down to 30 meters.

8. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

Ye Ill check it all over tonight to see if its any lose screws etc. Ill prob end up taking the scope off the gun and checking the mounts. Ill take the scope out in the field and reparallax to the right distance about 30 yards and then attach it to the gun again and rezero. This should make sure everything is correct. If I unscrew it a bit to much not enough to lose the nitrogen but I bring my parallax to close can it screw back in to take the parallax further? It definitely shifts at 30 yards I could see that when looking through the scope each time. Thanks Mark.

Any more suggestions and things to look at let me know guys :)

9. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

yes you can move parallax back and forth till your hearts content, if you go too close just screw it back in again.

and to the other poster no it shouldnt change the zero zooming in or out but.... on the cheaper or faulty scopes it can and by quite a large amount depending on the scope.

10. Mike1

Mike1 Well-Known Member

If you checked that everything is tight, then your best bet is to start again. It does seem that the scope is not centralised to your poi at different distances. This could be because your scope is not centralised and causing parallax error at different distances.
    This time before you remount your scope make sure its centralised. When the scope is off the gun, wind the turrets to a stop then wind the other way counting the clicks. When you have reached the end now go back half the number of clicks. You now are approximately at the centre of your scopes paralax. At this point you should be ok when you re-mount, but you could fine tune to get it perfect, by supporting the scope so that it can rotate without any other movement. A 'V' cut either end of a shoe box will work as a support. Now rotate the scope and if you see that the cross-hairs forms a parallax adjust the scope using the appropriate turret. You should be able to rotate the scope without creating any parallax 'halo' effect. This is a real fiddle and takes a lot of time. When your happy with what you have then remount and zero. There is another method for fine turning involving a mirror and getting the two images to coincide, which also works but more difficult to describe. Google it - there is a good video on You Tube.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  11. hun73r666

hun73r666 Keyboard Hero

I will back this comment up mark. I also had a hawke scope which when changing the parralax it was shifting the POI and quite a bit too! I took it back and got a new scope. I can only assume that it is caused by mis-shaped glass or possibly bad tolerances with the mechanics of the scope.

12. abye

abye Engaging Member

I had a problem on my old HD, where the spring inside the turret would unwind. Although it gave a firm click every shot it would adjust even on a mates PCP. Give Deben a call and send direct to them for the sake of £4.00 rec delivery if it's knacked the lads will fix and you'll have it back in a week.

Also on the centralising the turrets use a mirror on smallest mag with optic lense down you'll see two sets of cross hairs line em up and you'll be zeroed already at 11yrds ;) again the springs can't be trusted this way you don't over turn.

hth
    Alex

13. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

Will it be under warranty even bought second hand?

I don't quite understand the mirror trick though lol.

14. abye

abye Engaging Member

Nope...

Unless the person you bought it off is a mate with the orginal receipt. Sorry thought it was new.

Re the mirror.

Lay the mirror reflective side up on a table or floor. Place the scope down onto it. Select mag 3X you'll see two sets of cross hairs tunr the turrets until they match voila. Don't forget opposite turns up is down etc as it's a mirror ;)

15. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

Ill do that with the mirror. As for warranty lets just hope it zeros fine after adjusting the parallax and remounting and centralising the turrets and starting again!

16. abye

abye Engaging Member

Sorry one more thing I forgot to mention it might be worth while giving the turrets a couple of firm taps after you've moved them into the desired position whilst zeroing. That way you'd be sure the spring isn't working loose.

atb

17. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

So tap them a bit with your hand then shoot again and check your zero hasn't shifted?

18. abye

abye Engaging Member

Yes I found that although I was hearing the clicks it wasn't lining up in place if you get my meaning. Sorry the desc is pretty poop.

19. brettguise

brettguise Busy Member

When I took it out yesterday I checked the scope screws which had come a little loose. I tightened them up and took it out for a zero. I got much better groupings at 30/35 yards and it seemed very consistent. I took it home though and just had to mess with the parallax, . knows why I didnt do it before I went out. I adjusted it to what seems about 30 / 40 yards very little shift in the scope now when moving side to side. Screwed the front cap on and tested in my garden at about 20 yards but the pellet was way off. I presume that was due to adjusting the front and would need a quick rezero? It was shooting central but about 2 inches to the left.

Another question would be because im not used to a .22 if I do zero at 30 yards and wanted to shoot to about 20 yards how far off would the aim be? Is it very marginal or like I encountered 2 inches and shouldn't it just be a drop not to the side?

20. abye

abye Engaging Member

Hi

I noticed changing the px on hd i had to rezero :(

On my old map6 20 - 25 yrds was 1 mil. you may want to double check with cg.

Atb
    Alex