1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Zbroia Kozak

Discussion in 'Airgun Reviews' started by Simonsays, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Simonsays

Simonsays Donator

I have had my Kozak around a week now so time to give a brief review. I won’t go into all the stats you can read on the net, just the important stuff:

I bought the shorter option which is very compact handles superbly and balances perfectly on the pistol grip. Sitting shots in the field is are cinch, just rest the pistol grip on your knee for a nice stable hold. The adjustable cheek piece will help get good scope alignment. My Viper Connect is a good match for it.

Its seems to me to be a well made quality bit of kit.

Loading and cycling is a smooth and quiet affair. I really like the 12 shot, one piece mags similar to the HW item. You get 2 with it. Inserting the mag is easy and fool proof. Pellets are held firmly in the mag but the retaining o rings.

The trigger is very nice and much to my liking. Two stage, short travel and light out of the box with maybe just a hint of creep but nothing I suspect that cannot be adjusted out. That said the linkage looks rather finely set and fiddly to adjust; there is nothing in the manual to say how you might do this.

Accuracy at 25 yds is tight one hole groups rested off a bench (see photo). The one pictured is my first attempt at a group but it would perhaps be rather too hopeful to expect them all to be like this (they weren’t tonight but I had a different scope, stance and set up) - but its a big improvement over the Compatto.

I’ve not really done much distance accuracy testing yet but it seems to at least comply with the Zbroia stated maximum spread of POI of 20mm at 30m. Nor have I used anything but the 4.52 JSB exacts which performed so well from the off I’ve not yet looked elsewhere. Its very quiet indeed for a pup with no external mod. Its doesn’t need any more silencing.

Shot count appears very respectable. I got around 6 or 7 mags (sorry lost track) for 100bar . I’ve shot down to 80bar without much drop in POI which suggests 150+ from a full fill of 300bar. MV is a nice 11.2ftlbs with JSB Exacts and much the same with Heavies.

Niggles:

• The safety catch is well positioned but rather stiff. I suspect it needs a bit of a polish to get it it how I’d like it. It works ok but to get it to go its full travel in each direction, particularly from safe to fire needs too much effort. That said around 50% of the travel from Fire to Safe is enough to get a firm locking of the trigger and it will release easily and quietly from there. But its not quite right. Hopefully it will improved with use. The safety mechanism itself is sound: effectively you slide a block under the trigger to prevent operation when the catch is operated. Maybe a polish of the block will enable it to slip under the trigger more easily.
    • The manual is all but useless.
    • A minor issue is that its tricky to line up a specific chamber of the mag to shoot next (eg if only 5 pellets loaded). And given the symmetrical nature of the mag, there is no indication of shots left. A spot of paint will help assuming that it can be loaded reliably at a certain chamber.
    • The interior of the stock looks a bit on the cheap side and there are one or two odd holes which don’t need to be there. The plastic trigger guard is a bit naff and a shame cos the rest of the rifle looks a classy build quality.
    PM if you want any other info or opinion.

Goup.jpg

Squidwards Ghost, 32:1, Tim_B and 9 others like this.
  2. terrierforce

terrierforce Well-Known Member

Thanks for the decent honest review of this gun.

Short, light, pointable, accurate with a decent shot count and regulated with what seems like good build quality.
    All for under £600.
    Looking forward to joining the Kozak club!

ibo7 likes this.
  3. Simonsays

Simonsays Donator

I wouldn't describe it light (but well balanced and lightish). Otherwise you sum it up pretty well.

4. krugerandsmith

krugerandsmith Engaging Member

Well done Simon. Good report.

5. Simonsays

Simonsays Donator

Update: dropped its first rabbit the other day at long range no bother. Its a delight to carry around in the field; appreciate the slick cycling mags.

But also sprang a leak from the filler valve and is dumping air. Not too bad at first, just a faint trickle over the last few days but this morning it was empty. Quick call to Sureshot and the detachable cylinder (it unscrews readily) is already winging its way back for repair with the courier Sureshot sent to collect it and I'm told to expect it back on Monday.

Can't really ask more than that under the circumstances.

PumpnGun and evenbad like this.
  6. evenbad

evenbad Busy Member

nice honest review def worth a look at that price

7. Simonsays

Simonsays Donator

Another update as I am back from the range. The leaky cylinder was easily sorted very quickly some weeks back (thanks to Matt at Sureshot). I even saved a few quid on postage by including 5 tins of JSB Exacts in the return package (great prices, best I've seen on these by the way, give Sureshot a call). The cylinder simply unscrews on the Kozak even fully charged.

The replacement cylinder came with 150bar or so in it and included a protection cap for the firing valve. Inserting the cylinder was a bit hairy as there was a leak from the muzzle end as the cylinder went home, but dry firing the action once sorted this - presumably the valve not seated as well as it might. No hint of any issue since, it holds air and does its thing.

I cannot be more pleased with the Kozak. I thought I'd throw it out today by deliberately feeding it some different pellets. Generally I've found that barrels like JSBs or HN FTT but not both. But it continued to spit Kaiser 4.51s (which my Compatto suddenly took a dislike to) down the range almost if not as well as JSBs. It really delivers its accuracy easily this rifle. Nice tight groups at 33yds (if I do my bit) in a tidy package; great trigger and shot count, quiet enough to never need an external mod.

The safety is getting more user friendly with use, definitely slides fully each way with less effort.

Cannot ask for more really.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  8. oedbachgen

oedbachgen Pro Poster

Nice easy to read informative write up Simon :up:

9. Simonsays

Simonsays Donator

Dropped another long range rabbit last night. It’s quite heavy with all the nv gear but does the business.

PumpnGun likes this.
  10. robs5230

robs5230 Big Poster

These do keep ticking over in my mind which is odd as I've never thought of bullpups.
    You mention the weight. Is that just carrying weight or does it feel heavy when mounted ?

11. PumpnGun

PumpnGun Donator

Rob have you looked at the Hortista :thumb:

Ray

12. robs5230

robs5230 Big Poster

Hi Ray. Yes seen that too. It actually looks well (NOT SURE ABOUT THE WHITE / RED COMBO THOUGH) . I'd like to see one. Trouble is, I compare everything to the Ultra SE which for me is the perfect hunter. Any heavier, longer or worse finish than the Ultra and its a non starter
    Maybe I should buy another Ultra :D

Mortimer likes this.
  13. Simonsays

Simonsays Donator

The gun itself is lightish at 3kg. It is very well balanced on the pistol grip so you don’t really notice it’s weight in use. Once carrying full night vision and bipod though it is a lump - much like any other 3kg rifle so equipped.

robs5230 likes this.
  14. robs5230

robs5230 Big Poster

Cheers for that. For some reason I like these. Their accuracy claims are a little short on reassurance. I'd expect a far better than 20mm group from a rest at 35 yards. How did the heavies fare ??

15. Simonsays

Simonsays Donator

I know what you mean but 20mm is conservative, you’d get better than this, see above. Not tried heavies yet.

16. Simonsays

Simonsays Donator

Tried the heavies today (Bis Mags) and these were not as good as Exacts in 4.52, especially at range.

17. Simonsays

Simonsays Donator

A couple of hours in the field with the Kozak this afternoon and with nothing doing at all, I got bored. I spied one of my plastic markers (poundland gardening thingies about the size of a rabbits noggin give or take), lazed the range, got 73 yds. Quick check with recently calibrated chairgun on the phone, between 3 & 4 mil dots. Took some pot shots seated with the pistol grips rested on a knee. First shot missed. Second clipped it low left, third missed, fourth smashed it!

PumpnGun likes this.
  18. Mortimer

Mortimer Lord Haw Haw

I like the look of the Hortista (I've seen various spellings -- whores' titsta--What?! :D--Not really) and feel much the same about my Ultra SE. Weight is important to me for arthritic/ back injury reasons. I chose the SE because of my condition and I've been pleased and impressed with its performance.

19. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 Top Poster

Nice review buddy - thank you

20. Simonsays

Simonsays Donator

Bis mags in 4.52 impressive on the range today at 33yds (end of our club range) on hole groups of 12 pellets. This rifle seems to shoot any pellet well and as a result I’m not sure quite what to settle on. I was hoping it would like AA Express for flatness. It does to some extent, but the Bis Mags stood out today.

I need a more structured approach and longer range to come to a final conclusion.

Ultrahw30, PumpnGun and FerreT985 like this.