1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Yukon Sentinel 3x60 Gen 1 Night Vision Riflescope

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by neiled, Apr 24, 2014.

1. neiled

neiled Donator

How does a Yukon Sentinel 3x60 Gen 1 Night Vision Riflescope compare to the newer Yukon Photon as they're still available for about £550 compared to the £400 Yukon?

2. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, no contest, photon is digital, much less weight, you can make the photon better as many have, just wait for replies

3. neiled

neiled Donator

What I forgot to mention was the Sentinal can now be found for under £300 second hand so are they worth it at this price or are the Yukon's that much better therefore worth the extra £100?

What is/will the second hand values of the Sential's be then as I can see a lot more becoming available as more users switch to the Yukon and other soon to be launched Digi NV's?

4. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

As was said the Photon is digital and can be used day and night with no fear of damaging it, you can't do this with tubed nv. The Photon also has slightly higher magnification and will work out to a greater range, it's also more compact.
    If you only shoot at very close range and can get a tubed unit for next to nothing then that may be worth trying otherwise go for the Photon.

5. 35yard zero

35yard zero Member

Photon is almost unless in daylight and the gen1 tubed will have much higher resolution

6. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Don't agree, the Photon is quite usable in dayligh (tubed stuff can't be used) and the resolution, although measured differently, is probably better on the Photon than it is on the tubed stuff I have now or had in the past (monoculars).
    Using the Photon in daylight is much the same as using it at night, youget a black and white image which lacks the contrast you get viewing something through a dayscope or binoculars, I've accounted for one or two kills in daylight with no problems but you MUST have a filter and a restricted aperture in front of the scope or the excess light will overpower the sensor which is optimised for night shooting.

7. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, there is no warranty on yukons for a 2nd user and expensive to fix if tube goes

8. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, i dont use mine in daylight and your right with the resolution on the tubed n/v having had a sentinal but as terry said the photon can be made to perform better in clarity and I/R

9. neiled

neiled Donator

I take it you have an earlier Gen 1 unit then ;)

10. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, i see you have FAC so i presume your shoting out to 80 plus yards??? and your using an air wolf so they are quite heavy, adding a sentinal would not be my choice having used one and now a photon. unless your ok with it and it is in good nick and priced accordingly in case it went wrong, about £100 to re tube, there are vids on u tube showing what benifits to the photon like lens caps/ added I/R which maybe be more ideal with your shooting, i only use sub 12ft llb and on a dedicated .177 FX T12 to 50mtrs and use as standard but with a yukon recharge battery on weaver rail. if you want to know in more detail with the photon terry 101/ somebloke/ and a few more members are very helpfull and with good knowledge on torches and I/R systems and different lens caps.. good luck

11. neiled

neiled Donator

Yes I've just got the FAC Airwolf and it is heavy, 4.6kg (10.2 lbs) in fact so I'm thinking of fitting the Yukon to my 17HMR which is considerably lighter and would be used lying down with a bipod most of the time for long shots, 100+ yards.

I've got a DIY NV set up that I used previously on a HW100 with one of Terry's zoomable IR torches so I might have a go with this on the Airwolf although it is heavy enough on it's own without this additional weight :(

12. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

ah i did not see you had a HMR and with a photon would be a good set up , i think would be trial and error as to which n/v suites either rifles. the HMR being more practical for longer ranges, if you could get a sentinal in vgc? at a good price ? much less than a new photon that would do your HMR better and you diy n/v on the air wolf, i would also consider the yukon challenger as an alternative to your diy n/v anyway good luck

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  13. neiled

neiled Donator

Well I've bitten bullet and popped down my local very friendly RFD and had a work with the gunsmith in relation to using a Photon on my new CZ 455 Varmint 17HMR. He said it would be best to fit a Picattiny rail on it then the Photon and scope can be changed over quite easily without losing zero.

He said don't buy a cheap one as they're prone to moving and twisting so he's fitting one for me at a very reasonable £25 so..................I've ordered a new Yukon Photon off them that he's going to fit and set up for only £365 :eek: which is the best price I've seen anyone offering a Photon. I'll also need some new scope mounts but now I can't wait 'till it's all finished next week along with a "Yodave" lighter trigger kit then LOOK OUT BUNNIES :up:

14. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Sounds like sensible advice and a good price from your dealer.