1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Yukon Photon rangefinding

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by Nexus180, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Nexus180

Nexus180 Engaging Member

Hi all - just thought I'd share with anyone struggling (like I have been!) with accurate range finding at night with a Yukon Photon how I am currently doing it with some success. I shoot with a .177 HW100 at night with the Photon without doubler. Over the past 8months or so I have trawled the forums and tried most of the suggested methods of rangefinding, but the method I've had most success with is to simply leave the day filter that comes with the Photon on at night - if I use an attached T20 IR torch with a 960nM (or is that 980?) pill in it, with the torch on the highest setting (mine has a pressure pad switch attached with 3 adjustable power settings) I have found that I can see through the Photon where the range of the IR torch "stops" as I look out over a field. With this set up the IR torchlight suddenly fades noticeably at around 25m - so if the rabbit is just on the edge of the torchlight I know it is around 25m (and I aim dead-on as my scope is zeroed at 25m). If rabbit is not clear through Photon and appears just beyond the torchlight I know he is over 25m (and I usually try to move closer). If he is well within the torchlight and very well lit up I know he's closer than 25m. Not rocket science but this approach is working for me - since using it I have seen 6 rabbits in the field and have had 6 head shots.

Hope this might help anyone else struggling with Photon rangefinding - and if anyone has any better idea I am all ears.

Cheers

2. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, it will be okay for those with good eye sight but i find having as you zeroed to 25mtrs and put on a front cap with 25mm hole giving better clarity, and only using the units IR i then use the hold over/under way of shooting. so you either kill or miss, the latter quite often:rolleyes:

3. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

The 850 ir pill suits the photon alot better than 940 u will get lot further range as fr range finding most struggle with this at first only experiance can cure this and lads can still struggle or i do when shooting over 30 yards only rel way is with practise and experiance

Your point is a good example but your photon is only giving a fraction of its perfomance up to what it could be giving u one method i tried was with a laser red dot as over diff ranges the red dot moves around your ret but again only practise will help given we only get 3 good months fornv use ts very time consumin i have read threads where lads convet there laser rangefinders to work at night by adding it to there spotter builds wont be long till nightvision units are availible with range finding abilitys i rekon lie the bushnel scope with range finder built in atvb dave

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  4. keithy

keithy Very Active

Hi thanks for the info the only thing I can add is on my perm the rabbits are out in the same areas every night so if you go in daylight with a laser range finder and note distances to (that tree) (that clump of nettles) etc then it helps to give a distance map of the immediate area. I am currently using a very high power Nightmaster 400 ir which floods the field with ir and lights up more of the surrounding area in effect daylight:rolleyes: which is currently helping me plus you can see other rabbits currently out of range to stalk up to.:)

5. Nexus180

Nexus180 Engaging Member

Thanks for replies. I have tried using my laser range finder at night - and it does show up on the Photon (as a flash), but my RF is not illuminated and it is really hard to get a light behind it to read the range before the display goes off - and also at least 50% of the time at night, for some reason it gives me no reading (works every time in daylight). I started out using the 850 pill and yes, it gives much better range than the 940, but it spooked my rabbits - so I changed to the 940 and they will sit there all day long; without the day filter on I could easily scan fields out to 100m with the 940 and would get clear eye shine back; with the day filter on I'd say I can still scan fields for eye shine out to 60m odd - and then stalk in. I also found the clarity of the image much better with either the day filter or a home made "iris" of about 20mm. I have also done the old rangefinding during the day to the warrens, then sitting in my camo pop-up tent; works v well indeed as u obviously then don't need to range find at all and bunnies are oblivious

6. rabbitraider1

rabbitraider1 Engaging Member

Has anyone tried using a laser range finder with a very small light source infront of the objective lens to light up the display or alongside a weak torch?
    I'm tempted to try it next time I go out I was just wondering if any one has any experience?
    The main problems I can see is using a weak torch to spot removes a lot of the point of using NV and lighting up the objective lens could ruin your eyes night vision (but I find the photon does that anyway)

7. keithy

keithy Very Active

Yukon range finder

The MTC range finder has an illuminated display which can be dimmed just like an IR scope although the instructions dont tell you how to do it:rolleyes: have tried it with only moderate success as you can range bushes etc but unfortunately you cant see the rabbit your after. Its a lot of messing and the rabbits dont always sit there while you are sorting it out.:D

8. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

As i say u can add a camera to the range finder with ir and make a night use range finder but bulky and pricey best checking the nv forum

9. rabbitraider1

rabbitraider1 Engaging Member

Ahh brilliant I will check that out thanks Dave,
    Hopefully one will come out soon ready made.
    ATB
    Tom