1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

YUKON PHOTON 5 X 42.

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by leecraw66, Apr 9, 2014.

1. leecraw66

leecraw66 Donator

Wondered if anyone has tried one and if they are up to scratch.
    Thankyou Lee.

2. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Excellent nv scope which can also be used in daylight. It's 5x magnification so if you only like to use very high magnification it won't be for you. Certainly worth the money.

3. some bloke

some bloke Busy Member

Well worth 400 sniffs - and it don't need much IR either

4. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

I saw one of these and thought that's a great bit of kit, not to bulky and if its as good as its advertising blab i think they will sell really well.
    What ret does it have?
    Gaz

5. subzeer0

subzeer0 Engaging Member

they are a grat bit of kit but would be better to use with a spotter...hurts your eyes after a while but does the joib well

6. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

It's always a good idea to use a spotter rather than pointing a rifle about when you've no idea what might be in the line of fire and this is even more important at night.
    The Photon does benefit from some simple mods to improve its usability, on mine I have fitted:
    fishing coaster to the (stiff) focussing ring
    amber flip up at rear to reduce eyestrain
    red filter behind small hole in front flip up for daytime use ( replacing the push on one they supply)
    led ir torch (my own build) on an adjustable mount - the supplied laser does work but the led gives a nicer, more even light and can be adjusted for intensity by zooming. The Photon doesn't need much additional ir illumination.
    If you're using a nv riflescope you will probably find, as I do, that looking into the eyepiece will ruin the night vision in that eye and can cause other problems if you look into it for long enough. With the Photon you can turn this brightness down but I have fitted the amber flip up as well.
    The reticle does not have multiple aim points, there is a central dot (which can be illuminated) and vertical and horizantal thick posts which stop short of the central part. If you are one of the shooters who must have 1/2 mil dot reticles you're not going to like it.
    Any night vision shooting is going to seem very different to daylight shooting, rangefinding is difficult because you can't see much around your immediate scope view. On top of that you can only see with the one eye so you don't get the benefit of binocular vision which is one of the ways we determine distances. You do have to spend time and effort getting used to the equipment and the darkness, get sorted and it is extremely effective.

7. leecraw66

leecraw66 Donator

Thanks to all for the info looks like I will be upgrading my night vision to the Yukon Photon later this year ready for the autumn.
    Thankyou again Lee.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  8. Silverfox

Silverfox Active Member

Yes, thanks for the opinions guys, my shooting buddy has one, and I have had a play with it, I currently have just a 501 torch with remote switch. Third time out tonight was much better, reduced the Rat population by 3, and as Terry says night shooting is a whole lot different. I've learnt an awful lot using the torch, and long term I think I'll be a better shooter for it.
    Its my birthday very soon, and guess what's on my present list ??

9. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

Terry, is there anything special to use for the filter? Do you just get a normal flip up, drill a hole and then stick it on the back?

cheers
    Tim

10. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I bought a flip up to fit the scope and a dark red filter from ebay. To work out what size hole I needed I got a piece of thick card and punched various size holes in it (luckily I have a set of punches for leather etc) starting at about 5mm and working my way up. I taped the filter on the back of the card so it covered all the holes. On a sunny day I set the scope up with the brightness turned down just a little short of minimum and then moved the card in front of the lens, slowly and allowing the camera time to settle down and adjust to the changes in illumination, until I found the hole which gave the best result. I did it in bright light so that I still had adjustment available for duller days. The holes have to be spaced so that only the light from one gets to the scope at any time. I ended up, as far as I remember, with a hole about 10mm diameter which is about the size of the one on the filter supplied and I drilled this in the centre of the flip up and stuck a piece of the filter behind it.
    I did find that with a torch above the scope I have to have the flip up going to the side otherwise it blocks the light at night.
    Something like this should do the job http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7dayshop-...es_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item3a7a3518af

11. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

Thanks for explaining Terry - all clear now. Just picked mine up today off a friend and can't wait to give it an outing, although it baffles me why the day filter is so bad.....an easy design fix. The focus ring isn't stiff so I might give the coaster a miss (saves me nicking one off my fishing rods).

Cheers
    Tim

12. Pete2013

Pete2013 Busy Member

Let me know how you get on with it Tim, I was thinking of getting one as I mainly hunt at night now. I am used to higher mag than 5 though and I have read lots of posts where people have added a better IR unit as the on board one can be a bit grainy. Let me know your honest opinion when you have been out mate. Maybe we can meet up soon and have a hunt together at either mine or your permissions. My permission agreements say me and qualified and insured guests.

13. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The onboard ir is a bit grainy, it's a result of laser eyesafe regulations. A led torch makes a big improvement especially if the power can be adjusted. The lack of magnification can be an issue if you are used to shooting with much higher magnification and the reticle does not have mutttltiple aim points. I don't find either much of an issue but I prefer lower magnification anyway. Range estimation at night can be a challenge so I tend to shoot at closer distances anyway.
    It is possible to fit doublers to give about 8x magnification but that's going to add to the cost and I'm not sure that it will make enough difference. Most nv equipment is relatively low magnification so that you can get the performance, if you need more you end up with a huge scope.
    The Photon does take some getting used to but it is worth the effort.

14. Pete2013

Pete2013 Busy Member

I read that a lot of Photon users bolt on something like a NM800-IR to improve performance. I am on the fence whether to get one of these as I am used to my LEDRay and my Mamba scope on x16 with lots of aim points on the SCB reticle.

15. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The Photon doesn't need much extra ir especially at air rifle ranges, it's best to have a torch on which you can adjust the illumination. Dedicated nv is likely to be much more effective and covert than lamping with a red torch but it will be a lot different to what you are used to. The reticle is basic but that makes it easier to use, in terms of finding the aim point, when there's not much light about.
    The elevation turret is hand adjustable if you want to dial in for different ranges, if not you have to estimate the holdover which makes it simpler to use a 177 for the flatter trajectory.

16. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

Hi Pete - yes, hopefully I can zero today at my dads and then either go out tonight or tomorrow. A joint hunt would be great :)

The Yukon I got off Andy also came with a Yukon Infrared flashlight so I'll give both the onboard and that a try. if I am still unhappy I will tap Terry up for one of his :)

re the 5x, I usually hunt on 8x so it's not much difference - and at 35 yards you really don't need more than that anyway. The crosshairs are different to the SCB we are used to, but I plan to put it on my .177 S200 and hoping that it will address the curve I am used to with the .22.

one thing I did notice as the eye relief seemed to be a bit fussy, but it could be unfair as. I haven't put it on the gun yet, so will update once I have.

I have ordered the filter that Terry suggested and will soon be getting the lense cap to make the mod for the day filter - it really is a bit flimsy out of the box, but a cheap enough mod.

seems a good bit of kit.

cheers
    Tim

17. Pete2013

Pete2013 Busy Member

[​IMG]Sounds good Tim. Went hunting today with my 15 year old. Had a good time. He fell asleep in the sun and started to snore bless him. Managed 3 buns. Not bad. Pic is of our view down the hedge line near the crops

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  18. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

Very nice view Pete - a nice place to spend the afternoon. I didn't manage to get out yesterday due to chores......not sure about today, but will have a wander in the dark to see what its like. I would really like to spend time on the range with it as well just so I get used to the .177 and the reticle. I am now of the opinion that I "need" a 100 in .177 :)

cheers
    Tim.

19. Silverfox

Silverfox Active Member

Hello Tim,
    Can I ask what mounts you used to put the photon onto your S200?
    Andy

20. Tim_B

Tim_B Major Poster

Hi Andy - I have no idea as they are already on the scope when I bought it. I can take pics and upload if that helps? Have to say its not an ideal fit....for my eye relief they only just fit on as it's not the longest rail in the world. :). It's very close to the multishot conversion, but it does fit.

cheers
    Tim