1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

YUKON NV SIGHTS.

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by leecraw66, Feb 22, 2014.

1. leecraw66

leecraw66 Donator

Evening all, am thinking of upgrading my NV sight. Have been looking at either a Yukon NVRS-F Tactical 2.5 x 50 or a Yukon Sentinel Tactical 2.5 x 50. It will sit on a HW80 so has to cope with a little bit of recoil. Wondered if anyone has had any experience with either and what was thought of them.
    Thankyou Lee.

2. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

Hi mate, my boss bought one of these models last week, not sure exactly which model he got, but I know that he is very impressed by the performance. He said that it was well worth the price. Cheers KB1

3. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

Hi i was seriously considering a yukon photon until I had the opportunity to have a good look through one, the picture is adequate but not great, the main problems are the picture is on the small size so its hard to find the rat you are going to shoot and focusing is very critical at short range but fine at long range. I had another look through one at the shooting show and this one seemed better but it had an auxcillary power pack attached to it. Ended up with Nite site NS50 which is much better for finding your target and the picture is much brighter and sharper. ;)

4. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

You may find that the 2.5x magnification is a bit too low and the technology (Gen 1 tube) is quite old. A digital add on for existing scope might be an option and if you go the diy route would give much better performance at less cost. The Photon is also an option and can be used in daylight although not as sharp as a conventional scope.
    A decent digital add on and scope is likely to be the best option for most people.

5. sqwiffy

sqwiffy Engaging Member

"A decent digital add on and scope is likely to be the best option for most people."

Agreed..... however limited on range by the light source.

My (DIY) LED setup illuminator is stunning upto about 50yds. Works up to about 75yds, but I need to find a good replacement for 150 - 200yds.

Maybe the Osram pil is the way to go, since I cannot find a Chinese pil that is not a 'Nest' of low power chips that cause shadows in the focused image.

6. leecraw66

leecraw66 Donator

Please forgive me, you lost me at 50yds. I shoot a few rats with an HW8O not a sherman tank.

Thankyuo Lee.

7. FGYT

FGYT Engaging Member

was watching rabbits at 150yrds on 20 x mag with a T20 940nm 3mode Osram (plus a doubler ) last night if it hadn't been on a 177 airgun would have been an easy shot

8. sqwiffy

sqwiffy Engaging Member

Would that range be with the Osram Black series 3W (input) or the Osram Ostar 12W (input) ?

What does the led look like, is it a nested cluster, or a single chip?

Thanks.

The Chinese one I have is around 850nm 2W in a cheapo Ultrafire single cell torch housing.
    http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-U...LED-Flashlight(1x18650-Or-3xAAA)-p-43332.html
    With a few mods + extra lenses I've got a clean focussed square of 650mm at 25m. This enables x24 magnification on the scope out beyond 40 yds.

Total cost about £15 ish

I recon tho I will have to bite the bullet and build a new two cell unit utilising an Osram, the model being subject to your recommendation!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  9. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The Oslon Black high power led (s suffix) is the most effective one for use with an aspheric lens, the led itself is a single emitter slightly less than 1mm square so it focusses well. The 850nm light is more effective than 940nm as the cameras are about 4x more sensitive to the shorter wavelength. The 850nm one does emit a tiny amount of visible red light but it's less visible than a lit cigarette, there is no visible beam of light at all from either led.
    High scope magnification reduces the amount of light getting through to the camera sensor and it also makes it more difficult to find the target. The effective range of an illuminator will depend to some extent on the torch design, larger diameter lenses tend to focus the beam more tightly, but is highly dependant on the camera sensitivity, the lens used and the scope. Coated lenses can cut the amount of ir being transmitted and, in some cases, block it entirely.

10. FGYT

FGYT Engaging Member

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  11. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

Why such a tight beam and so much mag? Don't you find it hard to find your target. Would you not be better with a torch that filled 3 mag if need be.
    The zoom t20 torches are popular there are a couple of guys that make them on here at good prices.
    Cheers Andy

12. sqwiffy

sqwiffy Engaging Member

So I can look them in the eyes!!

It does if I zoom out.

For ratting in my garden (how it all started) they leave the wood pile and leg it 3 feet to the bait by the hens fence. So I don't need much of a beam width. A higher magnification also enables a better placed shot.
    I am an engineer. I make, mend, design and develop my own gear. Like most of us we get some of our kicks from experimenting, understanding and fettling.

I don't think the zoom T20 is actually much different from what I already have. Good luck to the guys making them for sale on here but when I built mine, there was pretty much nothing on the market. All I am trying to do now is improve on what I have.

Ultimately , I just want an illuminator that will give me a good picture at 150-200m (for fox) using a my scope & camera setup. I don't want the lesser quality of an intensifier....yet.

I'm sure the Yukon scopes work, and appear to be a good products, however, they are essentially low power scopes with a gen 1 + tubes & camera setups. Which you then have to purchase a doubler and adapter rings to get to a half decent magnification.

If have to go down the intensifier route then I would probably tear down an old scope and add a Gen 1 tube myself. At least I would be starting with a good magnification range.
    Gen 1 tubes available from £30 up.

Thanks Terry for the info, the 1mm square appears to be identical to what I have. From memory the input power is not far different. (will check later when I have time).
    Can't see the output power of the Osram is going to be an order of magnitude better. The Ostar seems to be a nest of emitters, so its back to square one.

I don't quite get it...... the Cree daylight leds 5Watt etc seem to be a single chip, just big. If somebody did the same but IR the problem would be solved.

Thanks to all for your help.
    Sqwif

13. FGYT

FGYT Engaging Member

Looking at it the Osram is the pretty std chip used by all builds But as you say if its not a sensible increase on what you have may not be worth having

the important bit seems to be the lens you put in front of it Bigger is better and quality is better now also multi lens seems to be improving again over single aspheric
    the T20 seems to lend its self to several tho not plug on increases in lens, ones that only need a small amount of Shedineering (wish i still had access to a CNC lathe and full shop :( )

For me an easy upgrade for more light would be to change to a 850nm IR pill which should give 4 x the light over the 940nm Im choosing to use

there are some who are adding to the smaller P60 torches like the 501 etc

heres a video from Marky610 comparing various Lens increases im pretty sure they all use the same pill all are bigger than the std T20 in head size the Ranger is the next head im waiting on to try on my T20
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA89u6p2Gu0

14. FGYT

FGYT Engaging Member

Because we can and want to try ................Simples I cant use a 3 mag scope any more after a couple of decades on min 10 x tho I am considering a downgrade to a 6-24 ............... maybe

remember the Add on is to a day scope so I want to use my std day scope not make a dedicated Night scope/rifle combo might as well buy a photon

15. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

But how do you find a rabbit in a field with such a tight beam and so much mag. As well as know where the gun is actually pointing. Do you use a hand held spotter first or something?
    Cheers Andy

16. sqwiffy

sqwiffy Engaging Member

Big vs Small

Does not follow..............A small good quality lens will have the same or better performance than a bigger lesser quality lens, from surface finish alone.... 'Scratch-dig' designation.

The Osram & Chinese copy pills are specified as having a 70° beam angle, the torch lens has to be 'covering' all of this. Personally I think 70° is a figure given to say >75% of the beam. Then to make matters worse the dippos go and encapsulate the pill with a rubber lens making the beam even wider and the issue even worse.

So a big single lens works because it encompasses more of the beam, it might at the same time have a better focal length. However....
    If you chop the rubber lens off, to get the pill back to book spec. and use a second lens in front to act as a the first collimation stage. Then the main adjustable lens positioned more or less as before. The whole arrangement has better performance but less bulk and weight.

So don't be fooled into thinking that 'Bigger is better' We don't live across the pond!

Sqwif

17. FGYT

FGYT Engaging Member

definalty but Bigger is fairly easy to do

how are you getting on cutting back the Pill rubber lens and what sort of lenses are you looking at for the collimation stage.

Ive jsut replaced teh Front of my T20 with a Yukon Ranger head its a multi lens set and smaller than some of the other add ons but still have the pill lens

Would be good to build my P60 derivative into a powerfull light unit

18. sqwiffy

sqwiffy Engaging Member

Sharp scalpel. Cut the bulk then second cut as close as you dare to the chip. Better finish, less dispersion.

ø20mm bi-concave. had it years. Never throw anything away.... might come in handy!

Sqwif