1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

your survival air rifle ideas

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by airgunguy, Jan 25, 2014.

1. airgunguy

airgunguy Junior Member

So im starting a project.
    As a scout leader i love survival activities. I want to make myself an air rifle especially adapted for survival situations. I already know i dont want to spend much on this. I plan on using an SMK B2 as the body of the gun (i know its not too powerful, but in a survival situation it would take out a pigeon if need be, i dont want comments about more expensive guns). I am going to cut down the barrel and stock as short as legal (for portability)... But thats all ive thought of......

If this were your project what would you do? What would you adapt this gun with? And what features do you feel are crucial?
    Thanks

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Something self sufficient but as accurate as possible, multiple stroke pneumatic springs to mind,something like the Webley Rebel.

3. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

If its a B2 then perhaps a few 4inch nails through the stock then you could use it as a club and get some proper dinner with it:D

4. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

Lol :) and pick your teeth once you have finished!

Gaz

5. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

As fire is a must for those wishing to survive, I'm sure the stock will give you a good start.
    Or you could swap it for a fishing rod if you come across indigenous folk!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  6. o050cal0o

o050cal0o Busy Member

Lol I don't think this thread is going where he intended it.

Surely in s survival situation you would want the best most reliable equiptment available as your life depends on it. So a decent base gun with good upgradable/customizable parts should be your base and also stop the ribbing comments from this lot.

7. splat

splat Donator

pump up rifle with hollow stock to keep survival kit in...ammo,wind up torch,lighter, superglue, knife, plastic zip lock bag.

8. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

This sounds a good idea but we already know it's a B2 so no pump up. Some duck tape around the end of the stock and a well folded polythene sheet to go towards shelter building perhaps?

9. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

Inside the hollowed out stock of course...

10. o050cal0o

o050cal0o Busy Member

I do lots of mountaineering and for survival I have a small tupperware box thats always in my rucksack.

99% of it is very cheap stuff that you can buy anywhere but incoraparting it into an air rifle is going to be tricky.

I have
    a few meters of fishing line and a few hooks
    20m of 550 para cord
    2 emergency foil blankets
    flint and steel
    water purification tabs
    button compass
    tampon (for fire lighting) :eek:
    condom (for instant water bottle) or you may get lucky, dual purpose survival!
    section of surgical tubing (for drinking water out of awkward places)
    whistle
    snare wires
    some insulation tape.
    all this is in a small box about 5"x3" this can enable you to make the essential things you need to survive water, shelter, food. It would be much eaiser just to have a small kit like this and a standard gun to use as you would normaly use a gun as a gun is only a tool like and of the other items its not really dual purpose and you could easly survive without it. It would be intresting to see someone come up with a swiss army style gun but I think the reason there isnt one is because the need for it isnt there. I hope i have give you a few ideas to work on and wish you good luck with it.

11. gixxer

gixxer Posting Addict

Cut the stock down and fit a inlet hinge to fold it flat back.b2 jump a bit so looking the length you may not want too.would 177 be favoured due to fps over .22.
    Stock hollowed for kit sounds practical.
    Loose a little barrel I'm sure someone here knows a optimum length as I'm sure I read a post once 're this.
    Slip on mod weight and a tough scope.
    Just thread lock your bolts n screws on the b model they love to come out.
    Enjoy your project.

12. o050cal0o

o050cal0o Busy Member

Lose the scope open sights are a must if its survival. Break the scope and the gun is totally useless.

13. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

I did think about a hollowed out stock and then though b**ger that I will just put the stuff in my pocket:D

14. splat

splat Donator

Pure survival kit...ditch the gun . catapult with steel bb as shot. Plus rest of kit...reckon would fit in one or two kidney pouches or small panic bag.

15. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

swissgun.jpg swiss_army_gun.jpg

16. Alex.B

Alex.B Keyboard Hero

Simple , hollowed out stock , fill with whiskey , drink whiskey , no longer care if you survive. Job done :D

17. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

18. o050cal0o

o050cal0o Busy Member

Sorry my bad I stand corrected!! sort of.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014
  19. ovy4213

ovy4213 Pro Poster

Well I know you don't want to look at a more expensive gun, but look for a second hand smk xs19 or similar, the first thing needed with a survival gun is the ability to actually hit the target, the standard b2 is poorly adapter to hunting barn doors never mind live food, second the standard b2 puts out maybes 9ftlb, by chopping the barrel it will be down to pistol power and near useless what so ever.
    If you chop the barrel payout will need to recrown it aswell or it will be more accurate to just throw the pellets.
    Next I would recommend heat shrinking the main body and barrel of the gun with a very small amount of viscous oil underneath to stop rust, not many people carry ballistol in survival situations and a rust gun soon becomes useless.
    A silencer is always a good idea as it could be difference between starving to death or not.
    It may be obvious, but a sling aswell, if your climbing a hill or trees etc you need to have both your hands free.
    Good luck, and with you being with the scouts your will be a figure to look upto by the scouts so remember to stick within the laws, and use the gun safely and legally. :up:

20. thisisdonald

thisisdonald Engaging Member

The way I see it, if you want a survival air rifle, any items a hollowed out stock may contain should pertain only to the rifle, simply so that if you lose the rifle you dont lose a whole bunch of other important stuff. That should be kept on your person.
    If I was to make one, and ive thought a lot about it, would be based on something like a webley victor or a mk1 bsa lightening.. something compact and spring powered. I wouldnt be cutting it down because what difference would that make? Maybe a 3 point sling or some way of making it secure and easy to carry. Definately some kind of rust proofing like ceracoat or duracoat. In a hollowed out stock I would have the most basic tols for maintenance, again, no scrimping on functionality. Pellets, and that's about it.
    Cutting down a stock and barrel only serves to conceal a rifle. If the **** hit the fan I would be wary of getting out and about looking for small game anyway... if it was a peacefull kind of situation I dont think anyone would mind if you were putting game on the table, therefore being visible with a rifle wouldn't be so frowned upon.
    as for sights, a good 4x32 + open sights will do the job.
    Its easy to get carried away with 'rambo' style ideas, but if yoy think about it practically it makes more sense to have several 'bits of kit' for different purposes, rather than one that does it all.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014