1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

your kids and guns

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by simply james, Mar 16, 2008.

1. simply james

simply james Banned

at what age would you let your kids have a gun supervised bye you at all times of course,my eldest lad who is now 28 got his first gun at 6,and really enjoyed the sport along with camping,hes now introduced his lad and lass to the sport,i got a lot of flack of the grandparents off our lasses side when i done it,but hes always done well with guns and has never been in trouble with the police,would your partner let you learn your kids to use guns or do you your self think its wrong,im just interested how other people see it.

2. Buzz

Buzz Banned

My view is that as soon as a child can be trusted to understand that guns aren't toys and must be used with respect, they are in a position to be introduced to shooting. My daughter, now 35, was shooting at the tender age of 5 and went on to get marksmanship awards in the ATC. My son on the other hand didn't shoot until he was 10...he thought he was Rambo when ever he got a gun in his hand, but now he hunts with his mates and has an open FAC. Just shows how different we all are.

3. Rockabilly

Rockabilly Big Poster

my boy has been shooting in the back garden since he was 8 , our lass does"nt say a word as she knows i would never leave him unattended, but she was a bit upset when he bumped a woodie off that landed on the garden.:( thats ma boy:D

4. simply james

simply james Banned

nice one buzz,so im not the only one to share the sport with my kids,i said to our lass when i was first seeing you every sunday after dinner your mum would say to your dad,take james out side to see the green house,what the fu** did i want to see that for,and then they question me on what i show my kids eache to there own i say.

5. simply james

simply james Banned

nice one rockabilly.

6. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

My daughter not interested, she had a go.... shrugs her shoulders, and said, so:(

7. simply james

simply james Banned

thats a fair comment ,i would neve make my kids do anything they wernt interested in either.

8. jhnbrty1978

jhnbrty1978 Active Member

just getting my lad into it who is 10 the missus thinks he is a little young but hey she always needs something new to moan about!!:rolleyes:

9. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Lol:D...tell me abt it

10. littlescoot

littlescoot Well-Known Member

when i hav kids and their old enuf i will be introducing rifles and hope that they to will enjoy them,

11. anim al

anim al Member

its all about the kids and there attitude towards things,my stepson is 11
    and very bright at school etc,,top of his class,,
    BUT,when he's at home he's a little nobber and in my opinion not ready to
    be taught just yet.a nice kid,just not ready for the responsability of an air rifle,,

12. Feral

Feral Active Member

My son is 8, he has a very sensible attitude to shooting and does very well. he's always supervised and disciplined and he's a bloody good shot posting scores some of the adults would be pleased to get when he does FT rounds with the Ultra MS ;-)

13. simply james

simply james Banned

its good to see so many of you will be teaching your kids the sport.

14. Leeman

Leeman Busy Member

I think 10 years old is ok

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  15. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

when i have kids, i will get them shooting when i think they are ready.
    i got my sister into shooting, she was really keen on it but now has kind of lost full interest in it. but oh well, i tried lol.

16. andyhawkx3

andyhawkx3 Major Poster

Great, did you see the recoil on that semi...now that would rattle my old bones:D:up:

17. Leeman

Leeman Busy Member

same here andy, that is why i got him to shoot:D

18. colinb

colinb Well-Known Member

my dad gave me my first lesson with a gun at the age of 8 and i thank him for that :) as i now have a lifelong interest.

niether of my girls wanted to do shooting so no issues there.
    but i made both aware of the saftey side of guns from the age of 10.
    they both now can recognise an idiot with a gun or who knows how to handle a gun safely.
    they are both comftable in the presence of guns being used properly.
    and they both realise that not all airgunners are "rambo" wannbe`s.

i think we would have a lot less idiotic behaviour (from a tiny minority) if more parents tutored thier offspring on the subject of gun (all types) saftey as it is the building block for a long and safe career in shooting if they take up the sport.

most of the stupid things i have seen done with air-guns has been done by adults and not by the younger members of the air-gun community.

19. simply james

simply james Banned

thats some gun hes firing.

20. chiz

chiz Engaging Member

Littlescoot and myself have just been showing a friends son (4 yrs) how to shoot. It went okay, but we were using the Remmy so the recoil gave him a bit of a shock.

It's all about responsible teaching, if kids can be taught the safe use of weapons and all the rules that come with them at an early age, then by the time they get to "hooligan age" they will have got it out of their systems.