1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

year of AA s400 classic

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by nath92, May 3, 2014.

1. nath92

nath92 Donator

How do gents just a quick one I've just bought an air arms s400 classic and she seems to be a bit of an owd girl can anything be told about the age from the serial number which is 029425 cheers lads

Nath

2. oldbugger

oldbugger Donator

may be worth asking the above question,on the aaoc forum mate, am sure someone there will be able to help out, if you hear nothing from here,:up:

3. roy0110

roy0110 Engaging Member

i cant answer the question, but i do know if you email air arms with same question they usually reply within a couple of days with the info.

4. nath92

nath92 Donator

Cheers chaps I've emailed AA I await a reply .also on the left had side of the rifle at the back end just before the air cylinder start there's what appears to be a small Allen head screw which goes into the rifle at about a 45 degree angle is this a power adjuster of some sort
    I still need to go get this rifle chronoed yet so I know what its shooting at before I take it out cheers again
    Nath

5. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

From that serial the rifle is an early one; dating from around 2001-2002. There are many, many small differences between these and later models; from my magical spreadsheet I can give you a few highlights of rifles the age of yours:

- No anti-tamper; breech block held on with six screws from above, plain M3 transfer port adjuster grub screw and locking screw (the one you mention).

- Uncoloured, embossed breech block inscription (model name etc) as opposed to the laser etching on later models.

- Breech block is 2mm lower in height than later models.

- Two-piece brass transfer port assy with no locking screw from underneath (current ones are one-piece, better and interchangeable).

- White Nylon exhaust valve (far better than the newer, softer black ones) - DON'T CHANGE IT OR GET THE RIFLE SERVICED BY AIR ARMS. Don't fill with a pump as the moist air can kill the valve.

- Exhaust valve pot retained by a plain M3 grub screw (later guns have an M4 screw and nylon buffer).

- Flat faced inlet valve housing (inside the cylinder), around 5cc less reservoir capacity than later models. Exterior of housing has a 1/8BSP male fitting for the fill valve.

- Standard hydraulic "snap connector" fill valve (newer guns have an AA-designed item with a different fitting to the housing).

- No identification markings on air cylinder.

- Two-sear trigger (the newer three-sear unit is much better and can be retro-fitted).

- Plain trigger blade with no safety or return spring (the new ones with the safety are Censored).

- Stock will have diamond chequering, if it's beech it's probably made by CZ (look on the buttpad) and is skinnier and more pale in colour than later ones. If it's walnut it's probably a Minelli (I think) item - will say "BMR" on the buttpad.

Not the best vintage but fitted with a better exhaust valve and lacking anti-tamper so preferable to current models IMO, even if they are a bit more plain looking. The trigger upgrade costs around £70, is a bolt on swap and well worth doing IMO. I also changed the inlet valve assy on my S410 of similar age (serial is 030456) to the later (intermediate) style, as I didn't want to scratch the moderator with the female fill adaptor when filling. Your rifle should be pretty bullet-proof and well worth looking after :up:

My rifle:

[​IMG]

:)

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  6. Seanalf

Seanalf Engaging Member

7. nath92

nath92 Donator

Cloverleaf cheers for that detailed description all what you says is about right with the aesthetics of mine it is a beech stock with what appears to me to be a rosewood piece on the grip section the butt pad say's BMR on it its not in bad condition bar a couple of marks on the stock nowt big .

Seanalf cheers for that pal link and the heads up on open
    discussion no no's :)
    I'll put a couple of pics on as well i know there a common rifle but I'm chuffed with the owd lass and the bottle that came with it ,sure beats hand pumpin the buggars up haha

Cheers again fellas

Nath

8. cloverleaf

No problem - if yours has rosewood bits on the stock it sounds like it's been fitted with later woodwork ;)

9. nath92

nath92 Donator

Ah so mines a bit of a mongrul so t speak ;) and here it is not the best of pics sorry

Cheers again
    Nath

10. nath92

nath92 Donator

11. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Busy Member

Nice rifle. Mine also starts with 02 and I believe the serial numbers generally start with the year of manufacture. Agree with the above in that that looks like later woodwork. Great rifles. Love mine. So easy to work on. Get yourslef across to AAOC. All the stripdown guides and advice you could possibly need, as well as supplier of discounted parts (bgaldt).

12. nath92

nath92 Donator

Cheers buddy , and it would make good sense what you say about the start of the serial number tallies with what's been said on its age already :) , and I shall join aaoc now also ,to clarify she was punching a little heavy when cronoed , so its now been tamed to the legal limit , next two things to by is my own chrono and a range finder the first I feel is essential now ;)
    Cheers all again

Nath

13. cloverleaf

Good stuff - looks like it's in nice nick, which is saying something considering that most S400s of this age tend to look shafted in my experience :rolleyes:

That's definitely a later stock and would have originally have been fitted to a rifle of serial 060xxx - 100xxx or threreabouts.

There's no strict correlation between serial number and year of manufacture, but it works as a rough guide. For example one of my rifles is 030xxx, yet was bought in June '02. Similarly current 400 series guns are on a serial of around 135xxx, but it's not 2013 any more ;)

14. nath92

nath92 Donator

Cheers once again for the clarification cloverleaf it is much appreciated , the rifle shot a lovely two pellet hole group of five well about a pellet and a half in diameter (this morning 30 yards) , shall be out to bag a bunny or a woody soon hopefully .after a few more targets to make sure she keeps consistent :)

Cheers again
    Nath

15. cloverleaf

No problem - sounds like the rifle is going well :cool:

I do love the 400 series guns and don't see any reason why they shouldn't go on forever if well maintained - which can be done yourself for very little money with a bit of knowledge, a few tools and a little care :)

For the record the original stock on yours would have looked like this (but probably not lef-handed :p):

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  16. nath92

nath92 Donator

Cheers for that nice lookin bit of kit , the only Censored bit is I actually shoot left handed was a buggar getting used to shooting with tother hand with this rifle but have it cracked now :) just have to keep remembering to close the right eye ;) sounds silly but keep forgetting haha.

Nath

17. cloverleaf

Fair play for your determiniation - you are aware that you can get the rifles in full left-handed format though..? They're harder to come by but often cheaper than RH examples due to the limited market. Alternatively you could source a LH stock for this one and swap the bolt orientation to LH (I can tell you how, or there's plenty of info on the 'net).

Ordinarily I'm not a big fan of swaping stocks about (I like to keep things original if I can) however since yours is alreadly missing the original stock it wouldn't be the end of the world IMO :)

18. nath92

nath92 Donator

Yes I'm aware of that but this came up at a decent price with bottle a full set up so I thought why not :) but don't get me wrong if a lefty stock appears by chance I wouldn't say no

Cheers
    Nath

19. cloverleaf

Cool - I'll let you know if I happen to come across anything appropriate ;)

20. nath92

nath92 Donator

Cheers mate much appreciated ,just heard back from air arms too and the exact date of manufacture (their words ) was 28/03/2002

Cheers
    Again
    Nath