1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

YAFACART (yet another FAC air rifle thread)

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by 177, Jun 9, 2014.

1. 177

177 Donator

OK, I've been chasing this around for long enough and I'm getting sick of arguing with myself over it, so I'm opening it up to you lot :rolleyes:

I have a Logun Dominator which has been my go-to PCP for a good while now. It is light, incredibly accurate, robust and offers a great shot count. I fill it every ten mags (80 shots) but it could do a little more if I wanted it to :)

I use the gun in all weathers and it has taken some enormous bags on some of my more overrun shoots - currently it's pootling along at around 11.2 FPE with JSB Exact :up:

Recently I bought a Logun Gladiator.

On a couple of my shoots they are so thick with rabbits that a 90+ shot rifle simply isn't enough for a day's shooting :rolleyes:

The Gladiator is effectively a Dominator on steroids with a much higher shot count due to the combination of a cylinder up front and a bottle hidden in the rear of the stock.

This is where the trouble begins:

I have a slot for FAC air available.

It won't kill me if I don't use it and end up losing it - I can always request it again at some point if I feel the urge.

I am torn between selling the Dominator and keeping the Gladiator as a sub 12 FPE rifle with a shot count that even I can't run down in a single day :rolleyes: or whether to 'upgrade' one of them to FAC and keep the other as my sub 12 FPE rig.

My Dominator with its shortened barrel and modified SAK silencer, and Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40:

[​IMG]

And this is what I do with it on two consecutive days (before the barrel was shortened):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is now no longer than a BSA Ultra :D

The Gladiator has had the front cylinder shortened and is about to have the barrel shortened as well. It ought to be as short as, if not shorter than, the Dominator, only with a much bigger shot count.

So, despite the fact that I've still not identified an actual need for FAC air and. taking into account that neither gun cost me fortunes, would you:

1. keep both and FAC one of them
    2. sell the Dominator and keep the Gladiator
    3. vice versa
    4. if option 1, which would you FAC ?

I'm chasing my own tail on this one.

Thanks for looking :D

2. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Keep both, buy a dedicated FAC rifle.

Sorry!

3. neiled

neiled Donator

Option 2 and go for a Daystate .22 FAC, your call on the model which will give you around 70 shots at 30 ft lb.

4. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

Option 1.
    Then after 12 months you will know if either of your sub 12lb aren't being used, so then do option 3 & 4 if need be.

As for a rifle Im not really clued up on that subject.

Andrew

5. 177

177 Donator

Thanks everyone - it's all so much clearer now :rolleyes:

:)

Given the key statement "neither gun cost me fortunes" this is not the usual FAC conversion = significant loss of value scenario.

I have the components available for the power conversion so it would simply be a case of taking the gun and bits to my RFD and have him put them where they need to go and fill in the paperwork accordingly.

I also (probably) won't ever buy another Daystate after my 2 for 2 fail rate on both of the ones I bought - lucky me :(

I guess I will stick rather than twist until a need is identified - let's see, that means I will need a new scope for the Gladiator...

;)

6. mmamonster

mmamonster Pro Poster

why not swop a sub 12 to someone whos got a fac air they no longer use ?

7. 177

177 Donator

There's method to my madness.

The Dominator is a great lightweight rig with tons of shots per fill and, now that it's shortenedn it is exactly what I want from a working hunting rifle.

The Gladiator is the Dominator with a massively increased shot count.

There are guns that are nicer to look at or that may shoulder better but, as a combination of useful features, these are about the best I've managed to stumble across so far.

I already have the required components to FAC either one (same bits fit either rifle) and neither gun owes me much.

It strikes me that any trade or exchange would probably compromise the combination of robust, light, short, high shot count etc that I already have...

8. techno

techno Busy Member

Ill chuck another spanner in the works.
    I have .22 fac air and a rimmy.On days like the pictures show, i use the rimmy as its just two boxes of shells in my top pocket and off i go, no air to carry, no bottles to fill, no messing about.
    I can also use low powered rimmy rounds as well, about 50lbft, winny subs are about 100lbft.The low powered subs are prob quieter than your logun.
    I use the fac air around buildings as there is less chance of rick o sheas and property damage.
    Hats off to you using the 12lb to such great effect,well done!
    My perms are now so over fished im working out to 80-120yds just out of fac air range.I'm keeping them under control and the freezer full.
    So rather than fac air, what about a rimmy with 50 and 100lb ft subs?The rounds are about £4 for 50.Given the fact you could sell the bunnies to the butcher? that would easily pay for the bullets.
    I costed the fac air and that was about 4p a click against the live at 8p a click.
    The fac air has its place, i used a AAs200 sub12 last weekend and it felt like it was a broken toy, so much that i went home and put it on the chrono ...11.5lb.Im just so used to the fac air and rimmy.
    Seeing as the devastation you are doing with the sub 12, why change?, if it does it for you, if it aint broke, dont fix it.You could always camo a 3 lt bottle ,and hide it in the undergrowth, and top up when needed.hth Pauly

9. 177

177 Donator

The 'loadsa rabbits' photos were all shot in two consecutive days on a caravan park.

I've topped over 100 in a day more than once in that area - the place gets overrun...

Obviously I wouldn't be taking FAC air or anything else that goes bang onto that kind of ground. The risk to the holiday homes and lodges is just too great, so on those particular permissions it's sub 12 FPE or nothing.

The whole purpose to the Gladiator is to give such a ridiculously high shot count that I don't need to think about having to top up, even if converted to FAC. It's basically the same gun as the Dominator, with an additional air source built into the rear of the stock - I've had the front cylinder shortened and the barrel is about to be shortened and threaded - basically it's going to end up almost identical to the FX Verminator; maybe a shade longer.

People don't believe me when I tell them that a 90+ shot per fill rifle isn't enough for a day :D

I think this is an "If in doubt, do nowt" situation.

Wanting FAC air isn't the same as needing it and, frankly, since I got the .22 rimfire the air rifles have been largely left at home. That might change this weekend - the same caravan park that those pictures were taken on have asked me to go and do my thing, so the Dominator will get its first outing in over 2 months :cool:

Where the Gladiator and Dominator really come into their own is the three setting side lever that gives 6, 9 and 12 FPE in standard setup. My thinking was that if I have one of the FAC'd I could make the lowest setting 12 which only leaves any land restrictions as a consideration.

A chap I knew had one FAC'd by Logun some years ago and his was pushing out 75 shots @ 35 FPE, 135 shots @ 22 FPE, and around 400 shots at 16 FPE. Makes it an attractive possibility :)

10. techno

techno Busy Member

What about a 12LB Rapid running a 500cc bottle fitted with a reg running 250 bar fills, that shots count should be in the double hundreds.

11. 177

177 Donator

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to throw that suggestion into the ring :)

Thing is, I already own the Dominator and Gladiator, and neither cost me fortunes. Combined cost of both was less than a rapid. A lot less :)

I've had a Rapid before - I like what they do, but I don't much like shooting them.

The Dominator gives me close to 100 shots per fill.

The Gladiator will probably give around 500 :eek: :cool: :up: which is going to be more than enough in sub 12 FPE and still more than enough even if it ends up being FAC'd

Given that I already own both, there's no point in pouring more money into the mix for something else.

That's the key here - these are PCPs I already own, neither cost me much, both perform brilliantly as working guns.

There are times when I miss a lovely walnut stock or a souped-up, regulated and fettled action, but these take some beating in the field.

12. techno

techno Busy Member

I think youve sucessfully answered your own questions there!

13. 177

177 Donator

I did, didn't I ?

I see what you did there :)

:up:

14. techno

techno Busy Member

Another reason for Fac air,I shot a couple of woodies for a curry a couple of days ago with a rimmy,you should have seen the breast meat,only made 2 and 1\2 breasts out of the 4.The other two were ruined by two thumb size holes made by Winnie subs.What a waste of meat.