1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Wrong hand, wrong eye!

Discussion in 'Shotguns (SGC)' started by Squirrel Sniper, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Squirrel Sniper

Squirrel Sniper Engaging Member

Hi All,

Just went for a shoot and popped in to see the brilliant people at Sporting Targets. They know their stuff and are brilliantly friendly too.

Turns out that I have assumed I am right handed and have been shooting this way for a few months now. It works out, I should probably have a bit of 'left' in me when I shoot. Massively left eye dominant too. Whoopsie!

I've booked myself and the other half in for some lessons there and I'm wondering if you would all choose to learn again shooting left handed, or would you try to compensate and still shoot right handed? Any experience of this, I'm all ears!

So, do I start from scratch and play backhanded or keep as I am and try to overcome my errors.....

2. JD

JD Donator

So you've done the test of holding your arm out at full length, sticking your thumb up and covering a object some distance from you ?

3. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The 'master eye' issue isn't so much of an issue when you're using a scope, it mainly applies to shotguns. If you are getting on ok as you are it's probably easier to stick with it. If you are definitely strongly left handed that could be different but then you would start needing a proper, left hand stock and action and there's not so many of those about.

4. davowales

davowales Engaging Member

Hi, lots of people shoot with left dominant eye closed or with glasses with the left lens blanked out and still shoot off the right shoulder, my son has allways shot like this with no probs
    Hope this helps

5. Squirrel Sniper

Thanks all.

I have done the eye dominance test and I'm all about the left eye. "Massively" left eye dominant has crept into conversation......

I'm doing OK right shoulder mounting, but as I am only getting started, I thought I might be early enough in to it to be able to learn left shoulder.

I close my left eye when shooting a shotgun at the moment, but wonder if (and I might be being a bit crazynuts here) I should be closing my left for a rifle and scope (different stance/position/aim/shot) compared to being open-eyed and left shoulder mount for a shotgun. I would definitely be able to distinguish between both disciplines.....

Questions questions.......

6. lone wolf

lone wolf Pro Poster

Well I'm a lefty and shot left handed for years before I joined the army and had to then shoot right handed and I got used to it to the point where it became natural, I did however shoot my L96 left handed and my sa80 right handed like I said it became natural and it didn't affect my accuracy so id just go with what's comfy for you and gives The best results :)

7. Squirrel Sniper

Cheers people.

Looks like I'll give it all a go. I've got six lessons booked in, so should be OK to give the first couple a go with my left.

Could be interesting! i might sell tickets for the show.........more of a comedy than an action adventure.....!

8. Tailormadefun

Tailormadefun Busy Member

The real question is can you you shoot left handed, if you can't then you will have to try the shooting glasses with a dot obscuring your sight enough to allow your right eye to take over, I too am left eye dominant but I just can't shoot off my left shoulder, and that's good otherwise my guns would have been much more expensive and my second hand choice would have been severely limited

TMF

9. Yeti66

Yeti66 Active Member

I am right handed but with virtually no realistic vision in my right eye. I've just got used to shooting left handed, it's fine on a rest or kneeling but I do struggle from a standing position.

10. Happy Hippo

Happy Hippo Engaging Member

I'm left handed with left eye dominance, but I was taught to shoot right handed when I was in the army simply because my personal weapon at the time was the Sterling 9mm SMG.

If you fired it left handed you ended up with a face full of hot brass from the ejector port.

Shooting the old SLR, I was able to revert to my left hand, but pretty quickly found that as far as shooting was concerned I'd become ambidextrous, which was great when having to shoot from behind cover.

I used to shoot air rifles with either eye and hand, good skill to keep up, but since I was diagnosed with a cataract in my left eye, I shoot from the right shoulder only.

Regards

Richard

11. Squirrel Sniper

Thanks gents,

I'll keep you posted on any progress/calamity that comes about from my attempt at ambidextrousness.

Should be a laugh!

12. the ratcher

the ratcher Engaging Member

Hi there if nothing else works for you have a look at a crossover stock. They are not pretty but do the job.
    A friend of mine lost his right eye in an accident and could not adapt to shooting left handed so he managed to find a crossover side by side and learned to shoot the gun off his right shoulder using his left eye.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  13. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

You could of course do the obvious and close your left eye when you shoot.

Simples:)

14. Squirrel Sniper

Cheers again all.

I am liking the idea of 'going southpaw' with the shotgun. Apparently my stance right handed is very 'rifle' and by closing my left eye, I lose a lot of perspective and volume of sky. If I can go alternative with a shotgun, and it is a big if, but I think I should be able to train myself to differentiate between rifles and shotguns simply by which foot is forward.

Here's to hoping eh!

Thanks again,

15. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

You could have some fun with one of those, " don't bother bringing your gun you can shoot with mine" LOL

Good luck trying to shoot left handed, I think I would break my neck if I tried.
    Cheers Andy

16. Tailormadefun

Tailormadefun Busy Member

trying to shoot left handed is really difficult, I tried but ended up just squinting or using the dot trick so I could shoot off my right, it worked for the british army for 70 years! or you could learn to trick shot off the hip?

plus unless you lay out lots of dough when you use a SA or pump the cartridge will eject across your face

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  17. naima

naima Banned

LOL,why did this happen?

18. Yeti66

Yeti66 Active Member

I've had a complete change of tack regarding this. My left handed attempts were adequate but not comfortable. I was using an ambidextrous stock so ended up chopping and changing and not achieving a reliable position. I've now bitten the bullet and changed to a dedicated right hand stock with a more powerful scope. I struggled a bit, I could see the crosshairs and the target but couldn't make out the mill dots. A cheap pair of off the shelf reading glasses has done the trick. More than adequate vision and a comfortable position back.

19. Mr Lee

Mr Lee Well-Known Member

I too am left eye dominant and right handed, I shoot from the right shoulder and with practice have learnt to compensate and try never to listen to "general" advice from people as they shoot completely the other way round. It's a pain but thinking about it makes you try harder and that's what cocked me up - thinking too much about it.

Best advice from me would be to read up about it, (there is lots but the "easyhit" site is probably the best, something you might want to look into, they are worth a punt but i took mine off after i felt the eye was trained) learn where you need to point on the clay, draw it on some paper and take a picture, then everytime you go the clays you can have a look before you start and know for sure which side of the clay you should go (generally the opposite from your friends) Which stops you thinking about it and you may enjoy it more

My percentage isn't great by any standards but it's sure increased since I did the above

Stick at it and good luck which ever you go with it :)

20. Vince68

Vince68 Well-Known Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg View attachment 423030 View attachment 423030
    I learnt to shoot left handed, brother in law taught me how to safely unload over and under with some snap caps, been shooting left handed for 20 years now ! Finally managed to afford a left handed adjustable Browning B525 laminate stock too