1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Would you be prepared to be licensed??

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Nicksi, Jun 17, 2008.

?

Would you be prepared to be licensed if it meant you could keep hunting / shooting

1. Definately, if it saves my sport

89 vote(s)
    60.1%
  2. Nope, it's a free country and I want it to stay that way

52 vote(s)
    35.1%
  3. Couldn't give a monkeys

7 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. Nicksi

Nicksi Engaging Member

Was thinking today if the worst comes to the worst and shooting comes under serious pressure from the anti's.

I think those of us who hunt have a fairly defensible position;
    1. we are shooting wild / pest species.
    2. the vast majority of things we shoot never even know what's hit them before they're dead so stress / anxiety to prey is minimised.
    3. generally we adopt a low profile.

However we don't generate the vast sums of money / employment the likes of pheasant / grouse / deer shooting does so our position is somewhat tenuous there.

Anyway the point of the post is - if it came down to it and we were regulated similarly to those who have shotgun or FAC certs would you be up for it?
    In it's extreme I can see test certificates of some sort to verify your competancy (accuracy and safety) as well as secure housing for your guns.
    What do you reckon?

2. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

sois the basic question if 12ftlbs came under FAC rules and needed to go through the licence prosses would I?

3. Nicksi

Nicksi Engaging Member

Yeah, if they tightened right up to stop lunatic pillocks using airguns

4. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

no because my dad would not have police snifing around the house checking im sane and checking the safe was secure and having alarms fitted:mad:

5. t-jay

t-jay Member

i think if fac licensing came into effect on all guns and it is the only way for people to be able to shoot then yes i would be prepared. myself being lucky enough to live and shoot(pest control) on a country estate and work on a family run stud farm can give enough reasons to have a fac.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  6. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

The simple answer is "not really", although I suppose I'd just have to tighten my teeth and get on with it if it ever did happen :down: can't say I can't see it happening to be honest!

Nicksi: you've made the mistake of thinking that a licensing scheme would solve anything :eek: think again.

7. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

if there was a license then it would put people intending to abuse an air rifle off

8. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

No they would just borrow one from a friend, or go to some estate in London ... same with real guns, handguns, do you think all these shootings are carried out by people with a license?

"Don't worry officer I have the paperwork!"

:shrug:

9. t-jay

t-jay Member

i agree with you there a1. it would give the appropriate authorities a better chance to control the misuse of guns full stop. and hopefully stop incidences like last year.

10. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

plus air rifle calibers are small.

the military use the 5.56mm round.

0.01mm bigger than .22

the 5.56 is desined to maim humans but because of its velocity it causes a fatal wound if left untreated.

.22 does not have the size, mass or velocity to effectivly kill human targets.
    thats not saying you can go around thinking they are safe to use in any way but what self respecting killer uses an air gun:rolleyes:

11. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

The truth is that all licensing airguns would do is create even more paperwork and waste Police time, they have enough to do as it is, like I said, those who want to use airguns illegally will acquire them illegally!

12. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i know what you mean cog.
    not saying that i would but i am so far out of the way and in a rural area i would easily get away with owning an illegal air rifle:rolleyes:

all my air rifles are legal by the way!

13. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Thought you put the Meteor up to FAC :D

14. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

shhh:mad::mad::mad::p:p:p:p

15. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Police are on their way

may take them a few days so get your stuff together :D

16. t-jay

t-jay Member

if it helped to improve safety and helps preserve the sport then i would have no problems with fac's

17. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

yep they will be a while :D
    [video=youtube;djMRRNwtrMw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djMRRNwtrMw[/video]

18. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Looks like you in the future, you become so cut off from civilization all the way out there :D

Oh and that's my gun collection, I keep it with you because it's very illegal :laser:

19. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

it funny at the start.

"do you have a license for that?"

i do for this one!:D

priceless

the sea mine is funny too:D

20. Buzz

Buzz Banned

We already have shotgun tickets, so the answer has to be YES !! I can't see the process being any more stringent (have I got that spelling right A1 ??) than that, or any more expensive and it would keep the brain dead away from legal guns. It wouldn't stop people owning illegal guns as they do now though.