1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

work on stock of my bsa lightning

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by tony owl, Jun 30, 2012.

1. tony owl

tony owl Engaging Member

sanded my stock on my bsa lightning yesterday but dont know weather to leave the checkering the way it is and oil it just to make it look different whats your thoughts guys before i oil it.tony 013.jpg 014.jpg

2. shepp

shepp Engaging Member

Personally I would get a tooth brush a Nitromors on it, then I would stain it with walnut water based dye before oiling.

3. tony owl

tony owl Engaging Member

thanks shepp i just wanted it to look a bit different than the normal lightning.

4. lampro

lampro Engaging Member

stain it to seal the grain then give it a coat of liquid glass, its great stuff looks pink in the bottle goes on clear drys in minutes doesnt chip or blister protects the wood

5. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

Don't do anything with it mate. If your going to stain it do that and oil the lot, but I have done about 7-8 stocks now and not touched the chequering on any of them mate. I love the contrast of the colours. :)

6. tony owl

tony owl Engaging Member

thanks mick whats the best stain to use mate as im new to all the stains and oils i was told to use wallnut oil but never told me about any stains just got told to give it a good few coats of wallnut oil and inbetween coats leave to dry for 24hrs then give another coat until i was happy with the colour.tony

7. tony owl

tony owl Engaging Member

thanks lampro.tony

8. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

it all depends on the colour of the finish you want. if you look at my AA S410 album, you will see it looks like a walnut stock, its a beech stock stained with walnut and the danish oiled to seal it.

iv never seen "walnut oil" so cant really comment on it, but i use Rustins (I think it is anyway??) walnut stain and Rustins Danish oil. I have also used Tea (yes really the tea you drink) to stain a BSA Superten stock, and then made a mix of almost 50/50 boiled linseed oil and beeswax to seal that, in my opinion its the best stock i have stained for the finish i got (thanks john! ;) ).

i would recommend searching google images for what shade you want it, then get more precise answers once you know roughly what you want mate. :)

9. tony owl

tony owl Engaging Member

thanks mick im off to the gun shop tomorrow mate so will get somethin to re stain it then seal it, will post pics up once finished mate thaks for your time.tony;)

10. tony owl

tony owl Engaging Member

nice rifle you have mate thats like the colour i want on my stock mate.

11. o050cal0o

o050cal0o Busy Member

I agree with mick just oil it.

12. tony owl

tony owl Engaging Member

just oil or put a stain on first then oil mate.tony

13. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

If you want it the same colour as the S410 in my album, you will need to stain it walnut, 3 coats off, and then Danish oil.

I quite like the look of just oil, but wanted the S410 to be a walnut colour, but it's personal choice really mate. :)

14. tony owl

tony owl Engaging Member

thanks mate.

15. lampro

lampro Engaging Member

trust me use liquid glass to finish it, you dont see a sheen of it just makes it imperviious to knocks and fluids wont effect the look of the timber, we use it on antique furniture thats going into pubs and resturants to stop the water damage and knocks and bangs use it onall my stocks

16. mick 1986

mick 1986 Keyboard Hero

Have you got any pics of your stocks that you have used it on mate?

17. Banshee

Banshee Engaging Member

I've been working on a spare stock for my Cometa 300 today that was in Mossy Oak, I'm just about to upload a thread with pics as it's still a work in progress at the moment
    I'd personally leave the chequering mate :)

18. tony owl

tony owl Engaging Member

thanks guys were would i buy wallnut stain from as im new to all this,thanks tony

19. tony owl

tony owl Engaging Member

thanks mate im goin to leave the checkering the way it is i think it will make the rifle look abit different as i like it to stand out lol.tony

20. tony owl

tony owl Engaging Member

thanks mate where would i get some of that liquid glass from mate.tony