1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

winter jacket

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Speed, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Speed

Speed Busy Member

ok i need a winter coat

i was going to get a plain black coat from a outdoor type shop for shooting hft / ft and dog walking, but a buddy of mine has took me hunting a few times with the promise of a few more outings i need something that can cover all bases

ideally i dont want cammo, so i have been looking at hunter green colour

the jack pyke 3in1 looks ok in hunter green but lots of ebay shops are out of stock is there anything out there thats better for similar money?

would it be worth going for camo if i get more into hunting? ideally i want my own permissions if i can find one

2. Lee67

Lee67 Posting Addict

Camo camo camo...altho u will never see me wearing it:whoo:

3. Seamaster

Seamaster Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Whether you go for camo or not mate, I'd say get a coat that's a bit too big. That way you can layer up underneath to stay warm in the winter and vice versa in the summer to stay cool.

Chris

4. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

This question could provoke some very differing answers/opinions.....Sits back with a nice cuppa to watch :D.

I don't think camo matters too much when it comes to rabbits myself as I have been standing perfectly still and a rabbit has been nibbling grass a mere 8-10yds away from me and it didn't move for 5mins or more. I had on a BRIGHT RED and black rustly, noisy coat, (football manager type) and although the rabbit was watching me very carefully, it only stopped nibbling when I moved slowly and only scarpered away at full speed when I moved quicker. So, in my view, the most important thing with rabbits is to stay absolutely STILL and be as QUIET as possible too, although some small noises don't appear to make them run for cover always in my experience.

Now birds, with their excellent eyesight, high view from above and superior intelligence, (compared to rabbits) are another matter entirely! Do we really need to be wearing camo for birds? Hmm, quite probably yes, but then, they have such good vision they can see a "white" face looking up at them/walking the edges of fields often a long way before they get into range. A hide seems to be the best option for them and behind that, you could be naked and they wouldn't see you or care lol :D.

Some guys like to go out looking like they just rolled in from 'Nam when they go hunting for rabbits and each to their own of course. Personally, I don't think that rabbits care or have the ability to be concerned about camo/colours. I think it's more a case of, "was that item/object there before?" and most importantly, DID IT JUST MOVE???? or make a sound? And do I (the rabbit), need to go :eek::eek::eek: and dive for the nearest cover :D.

Just my own view and experience after being up close and personal with them with my shotguns years ago wearing a BRIGHT YELLOW OILSKIN and now more recently up my mates farm with my Air Rifle. I'm sure others will be along to tell you their views too on the "camo or not to camo?" questions :D.

I will say though that wearing olive green colours or camo sure does look the part if nothing else :). You LOOK like you're a "Country Sports Shooter type person" to other HUMANS at least ;). I mean, one would look pretty silly going rabbit shooting in one's tuxedo would one not? :rolleyes::D

5. Seamaster

Seamaster Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

Indeed, if one were to get one's dickie trapped in one's trigger one may feel a tad let down by the whole thing. And that.

Chris

6. DR2501

DR2501 Donator

I think that it's also a question of proximity. With air rifles we have to get really quite close to our quarry and camo helps with that - is it necessary? No. Does it help? Yes. People that shoot FAC or shotguns can be further away so need camo even less probably.

In any event, movement is the real problem. Keeping still is paramount.

Just my thoughts.

7. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I went out shooting with my camo,
    Dam it all I forgot my ammo,
    The rabbit laughed and said hub bub,
    So I whacked the b****r with my club :D

:focus: It happened just two nights ago up my mates farm. I was standing there quietly in my usual olive green cargos and my green gilet, when I spotted the hopping of a rabbit approx 20yds away. He follows a regular pattern and rarely stays still for a second. I watched him and he certainly watched me. He then moved around in his usual arc pattern staying 20yds away. He then stopped and I had the crosshairs on him but, unfortunately his bonce was directly in line with one of the rear tail lights of my mates horse, (sheep) box :facepalm: so I daren't take the shot in case the b****r made a last second dive for it. He then went underneath the box and sat there just looking at me for ages. Then he disappeared further under and I couldn't see him, but I guessed he was still watching me ;). I guessed that he wanted to reverse the arc and go back where he came from, but because of where I was stood, he daren't get any closer to me :). I waited patiently and unmoving for 30 minutes!!! and still no sign of him, though I just knew he was still there. After 30 minutes, I had to scratch my arse, so I moved away about 2ft from the rifle which was resting on a very wide gatepost and leaned on a small wooden slatted fence atattched to the gate and had a puff of my vapour thingy. Well if he didn't make his move then and all he did was get even closer to me, now at 15yds cheekily sitting in the grass just watching me with no obstructions preventing a dead easy shot! :eek:. I of course can see my rifle out the corner of my eye on the gatepost 2ft to my left, virtually pointing right at him :facepalm:. Of course I had to move, had no choice really. First, one tiny noiseless step left....Rabbit sniffs the air and moves backwards a foot, next a quicker movement as I knew the b****r was about to bolt :rolleyes: and I was helpless. Rabbit does this to me :moon: and runs like crazy completing the reverse arc he started and gone into the huge pile of undergrowth and broken up rolls of rusty fencing he appears to live/hide in :facepalm:. I guess the moral of this story is, NEVER move too far from your rifle even if you think the rabbit is long gone, and most important, never MOVE suddenly :susp:.

And don't forget your camo, or ammo, well, something like that :confuzed:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  8. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

You can always camoflage a non camo jacket - just wrap a scrim scarf around your shoulders or use a small piece of camo net. You cannot take the camo off a DP jacket!

Have a look at the smocks, rather than jackets - I used one extensively for stalking, both in the Ruahine mountains of New Zealand, the Lakeland fells, Scotland and the rugged hills of Ireland in Wicklow, Macgillycuddy's Reeks and Donegal. You have never experienced wet stalking like that of the Cork and Kerry hills! Even when it was dry the hill tops were sodden - waterfalls formed as soon as it rained.

The Ridgeline Euro II is a good one and very versatile.

You don't actually need 'camoflage', you do need to cover your flesh - face and hands. You also would do well to cover the shiney bits of your rifle (again a scrim scarf wrapped around or draped over and tied in place with short pieces of garden string is all it takes). Move slowly and work upwind.

The things you need to avoid to obtain concealmant (which is better than camo):
    Scent
    Shine
    Silhouette
    Sound
    Movement

Camoflage on its own does NOTHING. You have to have an understanding of the above prinicipals before camo will work - don't believe me?

Go and get dressed in a full DPM jacket and trousers, then stand out in the middle of a grass field with 6" high grass. Your camo will do nothing for you, because you will stand out like a sore thumb. Even if you lie down you will not be concealed, or camoflaged. You will be a bit less obvious when lying down, but I bet a pigeon flying over would flare away, because of your silhouette against the ground. Yourt outline would give you away.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  9. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Some rabbits would seem to agree that camo does actually work and have decided to test the concept out for themselves :attention [pic 1]

As for the camo'd Army guy, pretty good job apart from his boots and side of his face. If you could drag that couch around the fields with you and sit perfectly still and quietly on it I would agree that camo probably would fool rabbits no problem :violent3: [pic 2]

As for myself, I like seeing how often I can sneak up on my 3 cats when they're napping without camo :susp: and it works often so I must move pretty quietly as cats DO have excellent eyesight, sense of smell AND hearing :cool:. Maybe I should cover myself up in the same colour offcuts of the carpet and lie on the floor and sneak towards them commando style and see if they notice me :wasntme:. Somehow, I don't think it would work out too well though :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014