1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Wind effect on accuracy

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Pinpoint, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Pinpoint

Pinpoint Posting Addict

Been out tonight in what only could be described as a breeze and had been having issues grouping. This was a typical group that I was getting.

33yards

[​IMG]

Later the wind dropped and so a quick 5 shots gave me this.

33yards

[​IMG]

Those pellets are pretty much through the same hole, the tear of the paper makes it look worse than it is.

Can a bit of wind really make this much difference? I was shooting .177 JSB Exact express out of a AA S400 shooting at 11.5ftlbs.

2. Mart61

Mart61 Pro Poster

I'm no expert but I think the results speak for themselves?

3. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Big Poster

I've had some strange results in slight winds, I swear sometimes when a wind is faster it doesn't affect it so much which gets me wondering if wind speed and wind power are different things, like BHP and Torque in a car engine:confused:
    Maybe air pressure or moisture density has a bearing on the torque or power of certain winds rather than just the speed itself, or maybe I'm just thinking too much again:eek:

4. andy46

andy46 Donator

they do say the .177 is more prone wind effecting them,but i was out the other day shooting with my .22 and i was really windy,about 15 to 20 mph and my pellets where just as bad as that,had to give them at least 2/3 mil dots to the right,and that was only at 25 yards,might of got the wind speed wrong,could well of been stronger.its hard to guess wind speed at the best of times.

5. Dead eye kai

Dead eye kai Busy Member

The wind does tend to affect .177 more. And you using express which is the lighter jsb. For a practical experiment place a ping pong ball next to a golf ball on a table. Blow the ping pong ball first. It doesn't need alot of puff to get it going. Now blow the heavier golf ball. Needs alot more puff to get it moving. It's the same with pellets. Although a .22 has more surface area and is travelling slower because it's heavier the wind needs to be stronger to push it off target.

6. Dunkman

Dunkman Posting Addict

Not sure of the .22 V .177 in the wind arguments. A.177 is lighter obviousely but also has a smaller cross section for the wind to act against and secondly, any deviation will be relative to speed of the projectile so a .177 traveling faster than a .22 has less time to deviate before it hits the target.

Just my take on things and not a definitive answer obviousely

7. Pinpoint

Pinpoint Posting Addict

Every bone in my body told me that the smaller surface area and faster velocity/time in the air would mean it would be less effected than .22s but my .22 S400 that was shooting at 10ftlbs seemed less effected.

The important thing for me is not just the change of POI but how much wider the grouping is. It shows that the wind was no blowing consistently yet I was not able to see these changes from my shooting position. It really wasnt that windy which concerns me as it is rarely still up here.

8. dave ratz

dave ratz Posting Addict

Did anyone notice variation on up & down as well as L/R due to wind, warmer weather changes drift alot, cant beat 2-3 hrs just plinking in different temps, sunny days-winter morns all change P.O.I MIGHT BE SLIGHT BUT THATS A KILL OR RUN AFTER THE B**GER even at your general hunting distance its worth an hour or two just to relieve yourself of that shot in that temp/wind, i do find over 25 yrds the differ in 1.77-.22 very noticable , i do favor .22 over 25+ as said my opion not techno....Ratz

9. Pinpoint

Pinpoint Posting Addict

Id agree with you. In any wind I wouldnt take a sub 25yard shot as I simply cant predict what the pellet will do. My target had around 10-15 pellets shot within 2 minutes and shows that sometimes it will hit in one area and another time it will be somewhere else. Its not as simple as just aim left/right.

10. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Big Poster

The downfall of the girlie calibre begins :popkorn::D:D:D

11. Pinpoint

Pinpoint Posting Addict

Highlighting the downfall of the girly sub 12ftlbs law more like.

12. Pinpoint

Pinpoint Posting Addict

Interesting theory, not thought about that before but makes perfect sense.

13. dave ratz

dave ratz Posting Addict

Last year some students wanted to film some shooting for a project for colledge so i had 4 students filming me shooting at various distances, it was only when the film was slowed that it got noticed that my holdover at 75+ yrds was going above the heatwave level and changeing flight deviant then again when reentering the wave again, targets not live incase sad posts,they must just catch the breeze hovering just above the haze,some days you have a 18 inch haze others 36 inch haze off a bi-pod low down who would look at that, wierd sience...Ratz

14. amaser1

amaser1 Donator

Nah, worst case scenario Ill just use bis mags thanks :p

15. Pinpoint

Pinpoint Posting Addict

That sounds like a good idea. I haven't tried Magnums yet buy my rifle seems so pellet fussy I doubt they'd be any good. Even JSB exacts are pretty average, it's only the lightweight Exact Express' that seem to group well.

16. Ianhw77k

Ianhw77k Big Poster

Glad it made sense to someone:eek: