1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question Will I toughen up?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Antoneady, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Antoneady

Antoneady Well-Known Member

Last night I took a couple of rabbits, but the first one looked at me and I couldn't take the shot until he looked away. This wasn't a case of waiting for the better shot, just an unwillingness to shoot a creature in the face.
    The second rabbit was taken at 30 yds rather than taking the baby rabbit at 15 yds. Again, it wasn't that I was after the slightly bigger rabbit; just that I couldn't bring myself to shoot a junior.

Will I toughen up or am I doomed to be a "soppy" hunter?

2. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

Why do you load up your gun and go out hunting if you don't like it?

Were you made to shoot unwillingly as a child?

3. Elk hunter

Elk hunter Keyboard Hero

I do hope you put a silver coin on each eye, so the rabbits can pay the ferry man! Good job the adult wasn't a pregnant doe as you would have killed a hole family and im not sure you could coupe with that.

Andrew

4. harry brown

harry brown Banned BANNED

Once you shoot an animal you're committed to to killing it as swiftly as possible. We all probably injure them at times and you need to be determined about putting it out of it's misery quickly. You can feel sorry for it afterwards but no good mincing about when it's in pain. I break their necks rather than messing about with another shot at close range but as long as it's quick its good.

Edit.. I misread your post and thought you had injured it. My bad.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  5. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Theres nothing wrong with what your describing mate id be more worried if i read your post that you were excited that you you shot the younger rabbitor enjoyed shooting it face on its are emotions what make us human i i havnt shot a rabbit in awhile simply becausei dont eat them and numbers dont need controling just because u dont get a blood lust to shoot every thing what moves dosnt make u less of a hunter.

Ivekilled thousands of rabbits foxes squirels ect over the years but i get no thrill from watching stuff die at my mercy the more i shoot the more i seem to turn a blind eye to things deeming them to young or not causing damage ect aslong as your land owner is happy i see no probs

6. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

After many years of shooting there's always a mixture of satisfaction and regret. Shooting a rabbit in the face is not good for a quick kill anyway side on is best but that's when it will be most likely looking at you.

7. dr.tigger

dr.tigger Well-Known Member

A true hunter has empathy and compassion for his quarry. I too feel a degree of regret having killed along with the satisfaction of obtaining food and or dispatching a pest.

8. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

:wtf: man up and think of it as dinner.

9. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

We got lots of rabbits here but I could not shoot one, its how I am and I'm OK with that.
    I have dispatched a few that were obviously in their last days of mixy but that is done by hand.
    Others hunt air gun prey and I'm OK with that also.

I do however admire those who eat what they hunt, seems to be the true hunting way but who am I to know?

10. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Ive got to say I have moments like that only last night.

But reality is what animal in the wild dies a kinder death? that's what I think and it helps.

Foxes hawks weasels stoats or guns, or starvation or mixi? I would take the head shot please.:up: I don't shoot really young anything unless its a total clearance job its just not in my nature.

I once went with a guy who took me to this place totally overrun with rabbits, It was a sheep farmer wanting them shot as lots of drystone walls had collapsed in on warrens and they were absolutely everywhere, I only walked 100yrds and I had shot 17 but everything needed to go young old or mixi the shepeards are scraping a living a drystone wall is a lot to them to have to keep there sheep in, So I shot a lot of young rabbits we shot about 50 plus on three trips, but if Im honest it didn't sit right with me, didn't feel good, not when they are like tennis balls, not good at all.

11. themadspread

themadspread Donator

its the satisfaction of the stalk the hiding in the bushes pitting your wits against theres being out watching nature as it happens .but i will openly admit i get a great deal of satisfaction every time i drop a magpie(i hate the bast@@d things with a passion)but with the rest its a job the farmer wants doing and if i dont do it someone else will

12. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Yes I think that also themadspread if your not doing it there is always people looking for shooting who will, you got to prove to landowners you can and you do and your good at it, and permission comes to you.

13. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

I pulled in the farmyard in the dark last night the famers Labrador stuck its head in a clump of grass in my headlights and pulled a massive rat out this clump of grass it then chomped it up and swallowed it:eek:, I said to the farmer "hes good isn't he" he said oh yes he kills rats rabbits alsorts at night I just let him loose in the yrd.:D

That's what happens in the countryside, animals will kill animals humans are animals too.

14. Jesterdog

Jesterdog Donator

Apart from a slug (When I was a kid), I've never shot at anything living. Though, with rats being sighted in our garden I've been trying LOL.
    I put bait down and sat quietly at about 15M .......... magpies took the lot - no sight of a rat. My wife goes out the garden, the next day, and there's a rat sitting in the kill zone. She tried shooing it but .......... IT WOULDN'T MOVE:confused:
    Ok, at dusk, sets out the bait and perches at the bedroom window - a fox and it's cub arrive and eat the lot. Less than 20 feet but no interest in taking the shot....... still no rat.
    Set a cage trap ........ 3 weeks later the bait was very stale - wife rings me to say theres a rat in the trap. I said I'd deal with it when i got home. An hour before I get home ......... she takes it 3 miles away and releases it :mad: it's getting to be like conspiracy - still no rat :(

Killing for no reason is wrong (in my opinion) but for pest control or food is ok

15. andy46

andy46 Donator

its not about toughening up
    the permission owners that I shoot for want every size rabbit gone,so I cant be so selective on what I shoot,because if I don't do it someone else will,im there to do a job for the land owner,i asked to do it so I will do my best to do that job,look at this way,everyone you leave they will grow up causing damage and then breeding more and so on and so

16. 177

177 Donator

My permissions for the most part have one primary rule - if it's a rabbit, kill it.

The landowners don't discriminate about size, age, sex etc,. they just want them gone or very, very heavily controlled.

Last year a caravan park I shoot for spent several tens of thousands pulling static caravans off rabbit undermined pitches, backfilling the ground and putting concrete bases in, and putting the vans back on.

Siting a van is no walk in the park at the best of times - it's not the kind of thing you want to do more than you need to...

I am always fascinated by the "I only took a couple to preserve my shooting for the future" attitude. If I was asked about my results at the end of a day and I showed a couple brace, my permission would be withdrawn and someone else brought in.

I have found that doing an efficient job has brought more shooting permissions as a result, so preserving my future shooting appears to rely heavily on being seen to do a good job on the land I have which opens other doors of opportunity.

We all draw our own line in the sand at the point we are comfortable. If you don't want or need to shoot the wee ones, don't.

I don't like doing it, but I will do it.

Others are free to make their own choices, and whatever feels right to them is right for them.

17. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Death is part of the countryside and Ive been living in rural areas all my life, my dad was a gamekeeper and I shot my first rabbit at 7 years old and was lamping foxes with my dad in 1987 in an international tractor so Ive thought nothing of killing most my life until my own kids were born and only now do I have moments of conscience occasionally.

Farmers know life and death come hand in hand as most of their livestock is to be slaughtered at somepoint some by their own hands, so even though they may not shoot they think nothing of death, its part of the countrylife.

Some people dip a toe into the country life others are born into it, I feel Its either natural to you or it isn't, if it isn't that's your upbringing your not designed for it, bit like selection in some of the armed forces my step dad now, is ex para, and always tells me about having been given a live rabbit for two weeks, told to keep it alive at all cost then eventually sergeant comes tells them all to kill the rabbit, and some at that point could not do it, so immediately those have failed.

What gets on my goat a bit is people coming into the countryside from towns and trying to control everything because they don't find some things to their taste, I was told a story by someone the other day about a couple who bought this barn conversion in the country moved from the city, any they complained to the farmer about his cockerels crowing in the morning!:eek: I grew up with that we had old English game all over the yrd and great alarm clocks for school, but some town folks don't like it, do they want the song birds to stop singing also? anyway got slightly diverted from the OP sorry but If you cant do it naturally don't force it.

Although Ive been doing it most my life I don't kill everything I can far from it, its all done in season and measure thinning just like a farmer cultivates his land every year and replants new life, not on my home patches anyway as it has a knock on effect the flowing year, I wont kill my own sport that's just crazy, I control not eradicate, If you don't respect mother nature you don't fit in, like other predators have their place, its all a ballance, Its like who shoots in their own garden that's not hunting! I shoot in the fields I take it to where there is a problem with crops that's hunting! I have woodies coming in my garden everyday I wouldn't dream of shooting them garden would be a dull place without wildlife I even had a squirrel clawing my patio window this morning I didn't run for my gun!, in fact there are two nest in sight of my back window with woodies sitting 3rd clutch this year, It would be some twisted individual that knocks them off their nest with a rifle!, what problem are they causing me? If we all shot everything on site, the woodie may end up like the carrier pigeon did in the states, I would be the same with rabbits in my garden unless they dug the heck out of my garden or eat my veg, I would like to see them.

But if I specifically went somewhere and saw the despair of the farmers due to a pest then that's when those areas can be squeezed and only going back a few years the farm I shoot on now, almost went under due to poor yields and the amount of woodies and crows, but I think Im coming up to a second summer on there now and the fields are looking much better already cropped right to the edges this year on 85-90% of it, so I think I've earned my stay for a while now, next year may be a bit more relaxing and less serious.;)

18. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

Elliot, do you think your experiences you talk about help you deal better with human death or even your own mortality?

Sorry to go heavy :-/ don't feel you have to reply.

19. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Death is cruel to us as we have emotions and we are sentimental animals.

But there are no old peoples homes for wild animals no cure for desease no painkkillers no palitive care so often nature has a far worse fate in store for wild animals.

When a human dies we mourn their death through memories spent and we miss the person for what they mean to us like we are unhappy as a result, but animals dont they just carry on no emotions lost for loved ones.

I think us humans think we are running the show but mother nature takes all us at somepoint, I personally would rather be hit with a bullet I didnt see than get brought back to life umpteen times in our hospital systems often prolonging death far longer than mother nature intended.

20. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

This elliot is most sesible post i think ive ever read on a forum in the last few years cant rember last time i read a post on hunting where seasons were thought of usally its post pics of masses of quary weather it be breeding rabbits to foxes all in breeding season for all in the summer months strange that u usally dont see fox kills in big number in winter months when ideally lads do the hunting (or used to do the hunting ) now it serms seasons dont matter as such just replys on a forum seem to matter to most boasting there online pearsona as some great hunter atvb dave