1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Wildman Slugs

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by gazzago, Mar 28, 2021.

1. gazzago

gazzago Busy Member

I've always thought slugs to be for the high power US market/FAC. However recently there have been efforts to bring these to the rest of us.

I'm awaiting the order of slugs from gb2017 as per this thread; https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/precision-ballistics-slugs.337571/

in the meantime I ordered some .177 slugs from Wildman.com

The Wildman slugs arrived yesterday and as it was dry I set up to test them in my garden. Max range here is about 35m.

IMG_5392.jpeg IMG_5391.jpeg IMG_5394.jpeg IMG_5393.jpeg

The Wildman slugs I chose were 177 DB - domed or dished base? 11.8gr. They have a hollow point and can be ordered in several different weights.

They were very clean, shiny and look very high quality. But then they should be at the prices charged for slugs! Wildman are very competitive in the world of slugs at £11 for 100. Still not plinking material though.

I'm of the understanding that the benefit of slugs is increased energy retention and reduced wind drift due to increased BC. Also increased energy delivery if the youtube videos are anything to go by the hollow points really seem to open up!

But all of that doesn't matter if they aren't accurate so here are my results.

IMG_5401.jpeg

Rifle used was my Steyr Pro X .177 shot from a bipod, x10 mag on scope (max) which for target work would be better being maybe x20. The conditions were dry but gusty winds from left to right on my target for about 10m of my range. The other 20m was protected from the wind by the house.

I didn't clean the barrel when moving from my usual QYS pellets and only shot a few slugs before the target work as I didn't want to waste them!

Chrono showed the slugs at 667,666,666,663,669 ft/s giving 11.6-11.7 ftlbs that's almost the same as my QYS, just slower of course.

Each target is 31m, 5 shots.

IMG_5397.jpeg IMG_5395.jpeg

The Wildman slugs were about 1cm low and right.

IMG_5399.jpeg IMG_5400.jpeg IMG_5398.jpeg

So there we have it. Not scientific just sharing an experience. The Wildman slugs work in 177, group very well at 31m (34 yards).

The downside is of course price but for hunting or competition work these are not a bad price really. Plinking with them is too pricey for me though. I found them very loose in the Pro X magazine.
    mag.jpg
    These magazines have no o ring or other method of stopping the pellet/slug falling out other than friction. The Wildman slugs just didn't have enough friction to top them falling out so the magazine had to be kept level whilst loading. Not ideal but as the Steyr shooting from/through the magazine I can't think of any easy mod to stop this.

I'm looking forward to receiving my next delivery of slugs to try. It would also be interesting to see how they perform compared to the diablo pellet at longer ranges. But with lockdown I don't have access to a range... soon though, fingers crossed.

Mice!, Blobby159, Maddot and 17 others like this.
  2. Deleted Member 39870

Deleted Member 39870 Banned

Good stuff thanks for sharing. Might be worth trying the ProHunter ones too. I think the 10g precision ballistics ones are going to be a game changer though offering the same flight path as regular pellets and improved stopping power.

3. Wolfiemac

Wolfiemac Alreet

Very interesting, I've never heard of wildman until now, think its a interesting time with new ammo coming on the market and all from the UK too..

Lovely rifle and good results :thumb:

gazzago likes this.
  4. blklab

blklab Engaging Member

very interesting perhaps they may get cheaper when there is more competition about

5. Fusty Fieldcrafter

Fusty Fieldcrafter Posting Addict

Following these slug treads with interest. I'd be curious to see how the wildmans compare with the QYS on a windy day?
    Good write up and thanks for posting!

Deleted Member 39870 likes this.
  6. gazzago

gazzago Busy Member

Prohunter ones are almost twice the price so I may hold off on those for the moment. Looking forward to trying the Precision Ballistics slugs due to the slightly lower weight. @robs5230 gives them a really good initial write up too.

It's great to see ammo advancing. Seems the UK independent makers are at the forefront on this one.

7. gazzago

gazzago Busy Member

It was fairly windy but I tried to shoot in between the gusts, also the house shielded a lot of the pellets path to the target. A day on the range on a windy day would be ideal. I'm pretty rubbish at holding for wind :facepalm: so the slugs might be what I need on a windy day. :)

8. Lordy 74

Lordy 74 Big Poster

I agree it is great to see the advancement in slug design though the images above to me dont look massively different if much to me . The shoot nc targets always expand a group and make i hard to tell precisely where impact was like you can with card . I agree it is very good but for the price i would still choose my favourite pellet though all barrels are different as we know
    . The PB ones do seem to be the ones that have that edge and I'm keen to see how they do . Just my opinion .
    Very good write up @gazzago :thumb: and all experience with the new slugs is good .

9. Figgy

Figgy Very Active

When testing and comparing don't hold for wind, zero for centre at max 10 yards then shoot at distance. They hit where they hit with wind drift.
    This will give you a truer representation of what they do.
    When I'm testing pellets I find some print on target in different places, could all be high and left next type low and left. But I'm just looking at grouping. If I'm testing for wind drift all get zeroed to centre. Then I shoot them, not waiting for gaps in wind, I just shoot and see how you usually get two groups, one with the lull and other with the gusts.
    Other may do differently.
    Im looking forward to testing slugs. Especially at longer range.

Mice! and Fusty Fieldcrafter like this.
  10. gazzago

gazzago Busy Member

I didn't hold for wind here I just shot them, tried to shoot in between gusts so I could see how they grouped. I can see how the wind effects them another time now I know they're accurate at modest ranges. I did adjust the scope zero for the second group with the slugs hence one group is low to right and the next is centre.

30m gave a fair representation I think. But really need to push them past 30m 40m,50m,60m. That's when the better BC should begin to show itself.

This was just a test to see if they worked in my rifle. I'd say they do and are worth further tests. Why not try some and let us know how you get on with them in your rifle :thumb:.

Mice! and Figgy like this.
  11. RapidStype

RapidStype Posting Addict

Probably hold a couple of ftlb more at 45yds than an JSB 8.4 shot at 12 and less over a 10gn ish i reckon.
    That cavity looks deep...will they expand if shot at a large spud at 25yds. ?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  12. gazzago

gazzago Busy Member

Dunno :shrug: Get some and have a go :hunting: I’ll try it next time I have a chance. So long as it doesn’t upset any vegans shooting at potatoes.

Fusty Fieldcrafter likes this.
  13. Figgy

Figgy Very Active

I've ordered the 10.5 grain slugs off forum member. I'll post up my findings at 25m and 36m garden ranges then when my local range opens out to 85m.
    This is if they work in the FX STX liner, not been tested as yet.
    I may try wildman slugs as they are just down the road, if I can collect some when out and about.

Mice! and gazzago like this.
  14. Fusty Fieldcrafter

Thanks for the heads up on their locale. Interesting they offer gunsmithing too.

15. Harley_Steve

Harley_Steve Busy Member

Thank you for the heads up. Just ordered some 11.8gr. Can't wait for the clubs to open.

Fusty Fieldcrafter likes this.
  16. Fusty Fieldcrafter

Yep I've just ordered some too at 11.8gr. It's the potential improvement in windy conditions performance that appeals to me.

Harley_Steve likes this.
  17. Harley_Steve

Harley_Steve Busy Member

In my case it's just curiosity. I want to see if they shoot well out of my smooth twist X superior barrel. At the moment I have nowhere to shoot outside.
    If they perform well at either Rochdale Airgun Club or Atherton Indoor Range I'll try to find a outdoor range not too far from me.

18. gazzago

gazzago Busy Member

I hope this has inspired a few to try out slugs, from whatever source they prefer. They do seem like a step forward for the longer range stuff. I think diablo pellets will always have a place. Self stabilising, very accurate up to modest ranges and the poor BC is actually an advantage sometimes when you don't want your shoot to keep travelling a long distance with lots of energy, perhaps after a miss whilst hunting.

Modern pcp's have brought a whole new world of accuracy that just wasn't possible when I was a lad with a springer. Except maybe to the few ultra gifted marksmen :D. It's good to see the ammo taking a step forward now too.

Mice! and Blobby159 like this.
  19. BallisticBill

BallisticBill Looking outside the box

Do you have a specified BC for these slugs? I'd be interested to know what you are able to measure when you shoot over longer range. The MV and drop at a couple of distances will provide the info for a calculation.

20. gazzago

gazzago Busy Member

I don't. Can't see it on his website either. The BC etc for the .22 Wildman slugs are on Strelock Pro so maybe the .177 will follow.

BallisticBill likes this.