1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Why use a red filter.

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Honest Bob, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

I use a cree torch, on my guns. Please could someone tell me why a red filter is used by some people. ie, what is its purpose.

2. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

It's thought that the red spectrum of light is less visible to animals such as rabbits and less likely to spook them in the field.

3. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

First of all SteveO R10, Thanks for the reply. Does any one have any practical experience, ie, do they work.

4. sillygarry

sillygarry Posting Addict

yes they do work but swop and change i use a greenlaser designator on my rabbits ,when they get spotted they think they are robbie williams and smile back at you :D but for rats it has to be ir nite vision its the best option

5. nick2

nick2 Keyboard Hero

On ground that has not been overshot, I have found that rabbits will sit quite happily under a red lamp.Rats do to start with, then they soon wise up.

6. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Adding filters to white lights is not a very efficient way of getting coloured light as they reduce the light intensity a lot, the only benefit is that they may be a cheaper way of doing it. If you want good performance and range then you are better off with a torch using coloured leds.
    Animals do not see things in the same way that we do which makes it more difficult to understand what is going on, they rely more on spotting movement than noticing colour or depth perception. Of course they have highly developed senses of smell and hearing so the ways they are alerted to danger are very different to ours.
    Most animals do not see much at the red end of the spectrum, they have eyes which are more sensitive to shorter wavelengths of light down through green to blue and even into ultra violet but they are more likely to be startled by a light being waved about, casting shadows, than a steady light of any colour. It is probably important to use the minimum light intensity that you can get away with and to scan slowly and carefully. It helps if you have a torch with a zoom facility (so that you can widen the beam to reduce intensity) and also variable power settings as well. If you scan from near to far you should be able to pick up eye shine in the edge of the beam, only putting the centre of the beam onto the target when you are ready to take the shot.
    Even high intensities of infra red light can spook the quarry so the same methods should be used, use minimum light and don't wave it about.

7. Happy Grumpz

Happy Grumpz Engaging Member

Good advice from Terry.

i have 3 torches, a Led Lenser with a filter kit which was about £60, the filters kill the torch. I also have 2 modified Ultra Fires from Terry that cost half the price of the Lenser and out shine it by at least 3 times.

My pal has a un modified Ultra Fire and again, Terry's modified version leaves it for dead!

id like to add that I've found that if the rabbits start to bolt a quick left/right/left/right shake in front of the rabbit often stops it dead in its tracks, long enough for a shot.

8. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

Even though filters do reduce the light beam but I prefer that .when I lamp I only want enough light to give eye shine

walter Often likes this.