1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Why small AO scopes?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by C_G, May 29, 2015.

1. C_G

C_G Junior Member

I've recently noticed how smaller objective scopes seem to becoming more popular especially on hunting rifles. Why would one select a scope like the Nikko Sterling Diamond over a more traditional scope with a larger objective.

2. stryder5

stryder5 Donator

As a general rule greater depth of field, however low light performance could be compromised.

3. Tinbum

Tinbum Delusions of adequacy

Big scopes are too heavy, poor quality for the price

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2015
  4. C_G

C_G Junior Member

Ahhhh, Tinbum, I knew there was a reason.

5. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

So this is why you do short stroke extensions LOL!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2015
  6. Gunfun

Gunfun Engaging Member

For me, hunting ranges are shorter than target shooting so a lower magnification can be used. For low light conditions, if optimum pupil exit diameter is 7mm, and you use 5x magnification that would give you a smaller objective lens diameter of around 35mm (as said this will give you a larger depth of field so your PBR maybe in complete focus), then as also said above this type of scope is a lot lighter and smaller.
    I still like 20x magnification for 50 meter target shooting from a rest/bipod though !

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  7. Tinbum

Ha! I have a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 on my hunting gun and it's low light performance a better than any of my larger MTC target scopes, the sight picture is clearer and stays clear all the way to the edge.
    When we were kids we had a 4x15 or 4x20 and dreamed of owning a 4x40. With lower costs and more money in my pocket I am as guilty as anyone of wanting the biggest, brashest, most sticky-outest-bitted weaver-railed monstrosity I could find!

I got over it........

8. Patrick

Patrick Donator

I can't understand why some shooters want these high magnification scopes i.e 10+ for hunting at normal airgun ranges unless you're trying to shoot flies crawling up a wall or similar.

9. Tinbum

10. trumpetier

trumpetier Very Active

Totally agree, were shooting airguns for christ sake. Sorry but been on the wine. But its TRUE :D

11. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Yep,they'd probably be better taking a trip to the opticians and getting their eyes tested and investing in some glasses or contact lenses.:D

12. oliver13

oliver13 Donator

Small objective lenses mean you can use lower mounts & get the sightline nearer the bore line. It's not so much of a problem nowadays but back when they were stuck on open sight guns like Airsporter's & Mercury's it was quite important.

13. Big Uli

Big Uli Donator

I have to agree about big scopes seeming silly for Airguns
    Biggest I ever had was a 6-18 BSA
    Currently I have 2 viper connects and hawke eclipse and a nigh vision unit
    I shoot targets at 8x and hunt at 6x
    Only for zero and the 60 yard rat on range do I use max magnification

Large magnifications exaggerate the guns movement and as I doubt anyobne can hold one completely still large mags for hunting are unpractical

14. gargloit

gargloit Posting Addict

I've noticed an increase in scopes that zoom from 1x to 6x or even 10x. I think this is a brilliant idea for certain users because the x and an illuminated retile, which most have, means you can have what is in effect a red dot sight at one end and a useable magnification scope at the other. Also, as a general rule, smaller diameter lenses are relatively easier to make in higher quality. I've a couple of such scopes and the low light performance is very good. For those that remember them the Simmons 1.5 to 5 is such a scope, famous for it's image quality.

15. AlsoFishes

AlsoFishes Well-Known Member

I used a cheap 4x32 mildot compact with my S200 .177. Fixed mag scopes, I believe, use fewer lenses therefore have better clarity. At 35m, why use a big zoom scope? Only point of one would be to scan the landscape for bunnies. If you know your shoot, you,ll already know where the rabbits are likely to be and creep up to kill range without breaking cover.
    Prey species look for eye shapes, I'd guess that o is better than 0

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  16. landymick

landymick Keyboard Hero

Smaller objective lens ,low mag & compact have always been the norm for general & hunting scopes.The greater field of view is more use than high mag in most situations.

17. Akita177

Akita177 Addicted to Iron

Small scopes usually have some great benifits for hunting like a wider field of view, better depth of field meaning you dont have to adjust the focus and the smaller the front objective the less parralax error you get.

18. Gunfun

Gunfun Engaging Member

Following on from my post #6, I have found 20x magnification very useful for hunting in certain situations where I'm targeting rabbits up to 35 meters (40 yards).
    The situation is where I cannot get close to the quarry due to lack of cover, spooky quarry or a still frosty morning. I have a 6.5-20x42 Tac 30 scope with a marked up sidewheel which I can use for precise range finding to 40 yards.
    I will always set the scope to x10 and the parallax to 22 yards (this means my PBR is in focus from 18 to 30 meters). Then if I come across quarry and its out of focus, I will turn the magnification up to max (20x) and use the sidewheel to establish the correct range and thus the precise holdover.
    I do this because when in the prone position I have problems range finding by eye, and on my trajectory 30 meters is the end of my PBR, and between 30 and 35 meters my POI drops 17mm or 3/4" which is enough for a jaw wound on a rabbit if its not compensated for. I have used laser range finders but its less equipment and movement if I use the scope to range find. I only use 20x mag from a well rested/bipod position.
    I do prefer low mag, small objective scopes for hunting, but when needs must, a high mag scope can bring home the bacon if its used for range finding/establishing the exact holdover.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  19. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Big Poster

Im a big fan of small scopes on air rifles. There are many reasons (based on airgun hunting, not target) for this including...

- weight...you know when you hold a rifle in rfd or watch an airgun review....WOW, beautifuly balanced ect...get home put a scope on and its all to s**t. :rolleyes:
    - no need to mess about with parallax, image is already super clear, point and shoot.
    - large field of view, especialy brilliant for scanning with nitesite.
    - being able to use any size mounts to suit my cheek on the stock, not me compromise with an inconsistent/uncomftable head possition.
    - usualy a simple uncluttered reticle, very easy to calibrate for airgun ranges.

In order of size i currently have
    - simmons wtc 1.5-5x20
    - simmons wtc 1.5-5x20
    -nikon prostaff 2-7x32
    - hawke airmax 2-7x32ao map6
    - nikon prostaff 3-9x40

i have descided to only keep 1 2 max rifles now so 3 will be for sale soon.

20. Patrick

Patrick Donator