1. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Why Fac Air?

Discussion in 'Firearms Certificate (FAC) Guns' started by Issac, May 10, 2018.

1. Issac

Issac Busy Member

I was wondering what the benefits of owning a fac air rifle is over a 12 ft lb version.

What sort of range can it reach?

My RFD thought a HMR or a 22 might be a better bet, if going through the procedure for a Firearms Certificate.

I'm just interested in the future possibilities.

marlever357 likes this.
  2. hughlle

hughlle Keyboard Hero

Take a look at some of the YouTube videos. Many will argue that you might as well go for a powder burner, but if air is what you want, there are folk like Matt dubber regularly taking 100+ yard shots without an issue (although granted he is a highly accomplished shooter)

metalman and Issac like this.
  3. Spray1Mark

Spray1Mark Engaging Member

Benefits none,

Well apart from one, that is if carryover of the bullet from a ricochet or whatever happens then an air rfle is MUCH less dangerous than a .22 RF.

The only other reason is linked to point one in that if you don't have an unrestricted condition then the authorities can insist on FAC air for sensitive pieces of land (if that makes sense).

Downsides are below IMO of course!

1) FAC air has little more effective range than 12FT, kill zones are still very much more important, shoot a rabbit with an HMR in the body (realistic ranges and areas of course) and very rarely will it not be killed instantly.

2) FAC air rifles have little resale value, special order, get it and try to PX upgrade to RF or HMR and you will wish you didn't buy it in the first place.

3) Limited choice of pellets for higher power airguns.

4) FAC air increases in energy only with an increase in calibre generally, .177 is worthless so minimum of .22, .25 is where is starts to get better but then you end up with a trajectory that is no flatter because of a heavier projectile (does that make sense?).

5) Much higher usage of air and therefore a lower shot count, linked to one!

6) It's still an airgun, but it will be controlled by the conditions of due care as far as carrying it and transporting it, same as any other Section 1 firearm, you wont be able to use it at any clubs unless they are cleared for S1 firearms or you have an unrestricted condition and they allow you to use it, which rarely happens.

Of course .22RF and certainly .17HMR ammo is much more expensive and also controlled whereas airgun pellets being inert never are, however apart from the noise signature (which you will get used to) the experience is vastly different when you can take 125-150 yard shots (still humane of course) most enjoy it (but not replace it) if that makes sense.

Do yourself a favour and type in on YouTube, there is one chap who did the FAC air then .22RF .17 and his explanation is very convincing regarding the point above!

Above all get a new toy and enjoy it!

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  4. buffy vampire slayer

buffy vampire slayer Post Whore

have a butchers at my gun/calibre list at the bottom of this post and ask yourself why I'D have FAC air if there was no reason to have it.

EDIT
    ah,well,only just noticed but the sig has disappeared since the forum software change.

Devonair, bucketboy and Issac like this.
  5. Spray1Mark

Because you are a glutton for punishment LOL! just kidding in all seriousness, perhaps a better suggestion is to get a powder burner first, then apply for a slot for FAC air after sighting the need for less power for certain pieces of land!

6. Spray1Mark

LOL! I did wonder! I hazard a guess at FAC AIR, .17, .223. .243, .308, .375, .50, 20mm!

7. buffy vampire slayer

i used mine only this morning at work from 03:30 to 05:30 on our feral pigeon infestation where body shots with bisley pest control drops them on the spot where a rim fire wound be a bit too much gun and a sub 12 with head shots would not account for the numbers required.

MartinJGUK, metalman and Issac like this.
  8. Spray1Mark

Yes I agree totally, however in a bolt gun .22RF you could just buy a box of .22 shorts and have 30FT without the need for air and dramatically less than the cost of an FAC air rifle! yours is still a very good reason however!

9. bigal

bigal Donator

My fac runs 200plus shots on a charge, most vermin took over 100yds, 3 of them over 150yds,
    Vid on u tube doing a breeding bunny at 103yds with the ar5s I had running at 1000fps on 16g.

If land not cleared for powder, u only get a air fac. I stuck up to hmr on my land, I still use the rapid when on bunny hunting. ;) Al

10. buffy vampire slayer

well to be fair the .22 subs option doesn't apply to me as i don't have a .22 LR in my arsenal.my .22 powder burner collection starts and ends with a .22-250.

11. Spray1Mark

Ah the .22-250! those were the days, shooting foxes on farms around the edges of the M25 when centerfire mods weren't conditioned so we are all now deaf and the Police were always paying a visit because the cartrigge is so loud LOL! (even though we always called it in, in advance).

I did my first 500 yarder with a .22-250 and a NF NXS 8-32X, loved that gun!

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  12. buffy vampire slayer

sig now reinstated for clarification!

13. hughlle

hughlle Keyboard Hero

Sigs don't work on mobile :p

14. Pellet pinger

Pellet pinger Donator

It all depends what you do and where you do it and what you want out of it.
    I’ve recently moved over to .25 FAC air for pest control, previously using a HW100 .177 sub 12.
    It’s made me realise while sub 12 can be very effective for rabbits, it’s very limited regarding wind and distance. In perfect conditions I’d push out to 50yds and if I did fluff the shot the rabbit would be gone, add a little breeze and 30yds is the limit, bear in mind the HW would shoot one hole groups at 40yds go beyond that and it soon falls off the cliff of consistency.

The .25 running at 52ftlbs is different gravy, this thing shoots one hole groups at 70yds, the 34gn pellet still retains 30ftlbs at 100yds and the upshot of this is greater accuracy and less wind effects at longer distances and if you pull the shot the rabbit isn’t running far allowing a quick follow up shot.
    Hands down it’s a better tool for the job and loads more fun to shoot than sub 12, I pondered on what to apply for and popping rabbits from 150yds isn’t my bag,taking them from those distances would clear my perms, part of the game for me is the stalk and the challenge to get within range, also I wanted a rifle I could shoot on a regular basis to get to know well and not worry about ammo allocation, in the last couple of months I’ve put over 3000 pellets through it at a club and on my perms, not sure if I could have that many live rounds in 5 years!!
    For me personally FAC air ticks all the boxes :)

15. Readie

Readie Proud Member

I tried that and the accuracy in a CZ and Anschutz was abysmal with the low power 22 rounds

FAC air much more accurate, R 10 ....

bucketboy, Pellet pinger and metalman like this.
  16. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

It kind of depends what and where you are shooting also. A. 17 hmr is great for rabbits in large open fields but tends to upset the next village when roost shooting pigeons or squirrels.

I would hang fire a few weeks and work out what your main vermin type and terrain for shooting over will be on your new permissions.

dave goodall and Issac like this.
  17. metalman

metalman Keyboard Hero

Why not apply for all three, i use FAC air in the woods, i certainly would not want 40gr of lead flying around the trees. Elevated shots can be taken with consideration, also much safer on perms like Golf courses where RF could ricochet

jimbouk, danban and Readie like this.
  18. Issac

Issac Busy Member

Yes indeed, just to be clear I have no intention of rushing into this, but just gathering info.

And you are quite right with regards to the permissions, I have no idea where I will find the vermin or what is there. Tonight I have had a good look around, but the ground covered, is tiny compared to what is there. It will take a few visits to work things out.

r10hunter likes this.
  19. Spray1Mark

All very good sound advice, requirements will of course change when new permissions and opportunities arise potentially taking you in another direction altogether.
    My one and only FAC air to be fair was an AA S310 Extra, added for a place that was very small, the beauty to me of sub 12 is the lack of restrictions as such, cost and fun factor having only rediscovered air rifles in the last year again!

Issac likes this.
  20. rich79

rich79 Donator

I'd just apply for both rimfire & air, even if you're granted them you don't have to get one if you don't want to, just swap it for something else down the line, if the land & quarry distance suit a rimfire I'd get that first & see if the more expensive & range restricted fac air is something you really need.

Issac likes this.