1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Why does everyone wear camo clothing for plinking ??

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by brett23, Jan 5, 2014.

1. brett23

brett23 Active Member

a bit confused here
    I,ve just got back into shooting and I'm going to shoot FT but what I can't get my head round is everyone is dressed head to toe in camo gear when shooting at an indoor range. I ask these people if they hunt thinking they wear this clothing and practice in it but 99% say oh no don't hunt
    am I missing something or is it the done thing to dress like you just got back from Vietnam
    hopefully the FT scene is a bit different

2. Seanalf

Seanalf Engaging Member

Could it be that FT is an outdoor sport, some of the best waterproof and windproof kit for this sport is also cammo (seeing as you spnd most of the time sitting or lying down etc in wet and windy conditions), so people are just practicing indoors with the kit on that they will shoot outdoors in?That would be my guess.

3. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

Lol I went to the range yesterday and they was all in camo there dont no why . I wear it hunting but not alot of point if you dont hunt is there atb

4. Alex.B

Alex.B Keyboard Hero

Its a bit cold to go shooting in your unndercrackers at the moment. :D

5. 177

177 Donator

Never stopped me, although benders get caught on the brambles so they are best reserved for lounging around at home :D

I'd hate to look daft when prowling around the woods...

;)

6. martin22

martin22 Donator

sat there at the range it gets bloody cold,a lot colder than when your out and about and your shooting gear is tried and tested so makes sense to wear it when plinking,you try hitting a 1" spinner @ 30y when your shivering
    just my experiance but admittantly i mainly hunt and have only spent a bit of time on the range lately learning my lad too shoot

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  7. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

There's plenty of waterproof/windproof warm clothing out there that isnt camo .you see them at the fishing shows all camod up as well it helps them blend in to the stools better lol

8. martin22

martin22 Donator

yes i agree with that if your just going to the range i cant see the point as there a lot cheaper and just as warm clothing out there,and as for the carp brigade its almost become "fashionable" obviously you wont catch fish without everything in your kit being the latest realtree :facepalm: what gets me is how the hell do they find it all when packing away as they take everything apart from the kitchen sink with them and its all "camoed" up :rolleyes:
    just for the record too i never dress head to toe in camo even when out hunting ;)

9. Ichy

Ichy Well-Known Member

You already know the answer. Blokes never grow up, they are playing at being snipers. I'm no better, I wear camo when I walk the dogs, just in case......

10. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Long time poster

Wear what you want That's my motto. It's still a free country last I heard. I think the OP knows very well that most FT shooters do not wear camo anyway. Most of the FT dedicated clubs do not even allow it. Some do though and they have the same reasoning as me and most sensible people, wear camo if you want to. It's hard wearing, doesn't need cleaning so often and it is widely available quite cheaply. I like to mix and match. Jeans and camo jacket, perfect for stalking the prey and equally just as good for nipping down the pup in and getting hammered.
    Free country folks, wear what you like.:)

11. mikmon

mikmon Donator

i wear camo when shooting ! its what iv always worn when hunting so make sense that ur comfy shooting in it so i wear it for hft as it been said hard wearing , warm, water proff ish lol, dont show the dirt as much ! cant see i the issue with as said above wear what u want !

mik

12. Robin

Robin Engaging Member

work wear or DPM either way, hard wearing, plenty of pockets, at least I know what I am supposed to be wearing on the range, last time I wore my best jeans and got muddy knees and incurred the wrath of the wife.... if its cammo then its range wear!

13. Mad Marine

Mad Marine Banned

Because most people feel really hard wen they wear camo and a gun but truth is they look like tards:D

14. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

My money on on the price - being far cheaper than other waterproof hard wearing clothing

No issues - Eccept if you Shoot @ Bisley Ranges - Surry - Banned on All of their Ranges Eccept for serving personel

But No issues else where -

BOB/R

15. Jed Clampit

Jed Clampit Posting Addict

Oh. I thought the camo was so those little metal bunnies didn't see us as we crept up to the end of the " revival" string!!

16. Patrick

Patrick Donator

I used to wear a camo jacket and a barbour waxed cotton hat years ago when I did a bit of rabbit shooting but I don't hunt anymore so I have no camo gear.no need for it plinking in the back garden or down at the shooting range(indoor).Even when hunting I think some of these shooters go a bit over the top covering themselves completely(literally) in camo gear.Movement and noise are the two things to avoid alerting your quarry.Some animals can only see in monchrome so camo has no real advantage that's why some of the states in America insist hunters wear some blaze orange(hi vis) clothing so they're noticeable to other hunters but not their quarry.

17. walker

walker Busy Member

Loo ive thought this myself. Ive seen blokes who looked like they had action man camo on. I wear a smock just because thats what i always wear to shoot. Alot of the outdoor stuff is camo though.
    But i have actually seen someone wearing a desert camo smock!

18. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I always thought that the orange blaze thing was so that indisciplined, trigger-happy fair-weather hunters didn't shoot each other in the rush to fill their quotas. I've heard that some hunters use orange bog roll so that they don't get shot in the arse when having an al fresco dump because a flash of white bog roll can for some reason be mistaken for a deer's tush and cause excitable negligent discharges (oooer missus!).

19. DaveC_24

DaveC_24 Busy Member

I wear camo when shooting at the range, as do the majority of people who shoot there. It's an HFT-style course, outdoors and often wet/muddy at this time of year. For me (and presumably others) it makes sense to have a relatively cheap, durable, comfortable, warm set of clothes in which to shoot and not worry if you get mud plastered over you. A high proportion of the guys at the club also hunt, so like me they probably figure they may as well wear the dedicated shooting clothing they already have. I usually wear camo trousers (DPM or the old-style lightweight trousers), with a DPM field jacket over t-shirt and jumper, plus a DPM smock when I need it for extra warmth.

For indoor shoots and the likes, there probably isn't much *point* as such in specifically wearing camos rather than civvies, but each to their own. I used to wear DMP jackets out and about quite a bit (in a non-shooting context) because they're warm, windrproof, comfortable and well-fitted. I don't anymore because the ones I have are either worn out or covered in mud and/or stinking of grass and the smell of rabbit!

20. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I suppose it depends on how many different sets of shooting clothing you have/need. Obviously for some people having the 'right' clothing and equipment is the most important part of their hooby. I used to go to a lot of the big bike shows, sometimes by car if I wanted to buy a few bits, and I used to fall about laughing when I saw guys (often several of them) pile out of a car and put their leathers and bike boots on - that has to be the most uncomfortable kit to wear for walking around a show all day. I guess they wanted everyone to know they were bikers.