1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question why do people buy pcps

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jme99s, Jun 27, 2012.

1. jme99s

jme99s Donator

Ok I don't get why people buy pcp's I've just been using a friends bsa hornet and I can only think of two advantages
    1.A tiny bit more accurate a long range
    2.A lot less noise

Buts here's the disadvantages
    1.More expensive to run
    2. When they go wrong they are a pain to fix
    3.Less fun
    I was compareing the hornet to my hw99. Both the same caliber borth great guns but i prefure my hw what do you all think of pcps I'm not having a go at pcps I just don't get it Thanks for any feedback

2. Mad Marine

Mad Marine Banned

Everyone can shoot them and some prefer them for hunting less noise and usually multyshot
    I love both my Pcp and springer and hunt with both
    And pcp is easy to fix compared to some springers

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  3. 3CM

3CM Engaging Member

Its interesting as i'm thinking of getting a pcp, but part of my thinks my spring rifle will do just fine.

In a way i'd be glad to be talked out of it as its going to save me £700-£800.

4. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

You also forgot no recoil with a pcp. I have 4 springers but have not shot any of them since buying a pcp.

5. Tmaxxjj

Tmaxxjj Busy Member

Prepare yourself for a barrage!

I have both PCP's and springers, and enjoy shooting them equally just as much. But they're different. PCP's are a lot more accurate (in most cases), and can be extremely quiet (almost silent sometimes), they have no recoil, and as has been mentioned, most are multi shot. Which is very useful when hunting.

Have you tried a PCP? Give it a go if you haven't ;)

6. Akita177

Akita177 Addicted to Iron

I find im less consistant with head shots using a springer in all shooting posistions, also i love very light wieght PCPs for hunting better standing up shots and my arms dont tired which yet again improves my standing up shots.
    Multi shot PCPs are also great for hunting bag more bunnies before they run away, and when prone cocking a springer is a pain in the arse.

I like the simplicity of a break barrel but why would i hunt with that when ive got a S410 superlight.

7. Tmaxxjj

Tmaxxjj Busy Member

Oh, and most are really easy to work on by the way :)

8. PandaMan

PandaMan Busy Member

Not all springers are easy to fix. Trust me, I know from experience...
    I want a PCP because it is virtually silent, so I can shoot it in my garden without annoying the neighbours and so I can shoot at virtually any time.
    I also want one because they are easier to use. Whilst I like the challenge of a springer, sometimes I just can't be bothered and want to hit what I'm aiming at every time.
    Springers generally don't do very well with bipods, and therefore people like me (kinda weedy) don't like to support the whole weight of a springer (which are usually heavier than PCPs)
    They are just my reasons.

9. ithica -john

ithica -john Posting Addict

TX200HC....love it

but adding an AA S400 or Brocock Contour super 6 ..read on

because you missed an important option for some ie weight

medical problems with hands ... - TX is just too heavy for hunting

and i need a bipod

regards..john

10. jme99s

jme99s Donator

Forgot to mention about recoil well lack off in the hornets case but I think that one of the reasons I like springers so much more of a challenge to shoot acuratly

11. bradleymarky

bradleymarky Keyboard Hero

Ive just bought my first pcp after having springers and i can say is that i`m amazed at the difference between the two, i dont think i`ll be going back to a springer for a while..

12. Samon

Samon Donator

you mean why learn to shoot a springer when you can hide behind a pcp? ;)

My take on it is: people are quick to assume certain pcp's are the eptiome of airguns (hw100 *cough cough*) because they have such little experience with them first hand and go by the words of those who've over £700 on something that they will obviously praise whole heartedly.

Now, the shooters out there that have shot a variety of airguns over the years will tell you how accurate a springer can be. How well they have/do hunt with them. How much fun they are to shoot/learn to shoot well. These shooters will most likely also tell you a pcp is an entirely different creature, they are easier to shoot, more consistent and incredibley beginner friendly.

So, imagine what a newbie thinks when he searches the many forums to find the vast majority of threads are about 'pcp' rifles, and quite often specific models (you guessed it:rolleyes:) are the 'best' out there, goes and buys one and finds he can shoot it rather well for a beginner, never bothers trying a springer and carries on the trend of bigging up the almightyness of that specific air rifle to all the other inexperienced wealthy shooters to be..

a generation who dismiss springers as an option and continue the trend of 'pcp is the best' is one that is missing out big time on a major part of the sport.

or something like that.. I'll get my coat :D

13. Mrbarfly

Mrbarfly Well-Known Member

if you like more of a challenge to shoot acuratly you could always try hoping on 1 leg :D

14. dh131286

dh131286 Engaging Member

had an s410 and loved using it. that is until i bought a tx200. i stopped using the s410 as the tx200 was much more fun/challange to shoot. in the end i ended up selling the s410 and keeping the tx200, i even went and got a hw77 aswell to play about with. yes the pcp was very easy to shoot but after some practice my groupings with the springers is nearly equal to the pcp

15. jme99s

jme99s Donator

Well I supose everyone has there own wants/needs but really at the end of the day its personal choice mine's springers love em

16. jme99s

jme99s Donator

I would get a pcp but I no I'd never use it lol pcp's are good but I find them boring

17. Dunkman

Dunkman Posting Addict

The truth of the matter is the 2 types sit alongside each other as first among equals and always will be.

Both have advantages, both have disadvantages- Status Quo

Springers have a sense of 'engagement' between shooter and gun, something that PCP's lack. The fact the shooter uses HIS/HER own energy to cock the rifle means that the shot that leaves the barrel comes from the shooters own energy, not from a dive bottle. The little nudge in the shoulder to tell you that something has actually happened when you pull the trigger. To some these points don't matter but to others they do.

It is a myth that PCP's are universally quieter than springers. There are some damn noisy PCP's out there and some damn quiet Springers and visa versa. Springer sound noisier as your ear is close to the stock to the mechanical sound transmits through the wood straight to your ear. However, with a decent silenced springer, the noise to a bystander is very low indeed. Last week THS was shooting my Lazaglided 97K and I was stunned by how quiet it was when alongside him. Just a low 'kerdump' and the shot was gone.

Then there are PCP's that have tank 'ping' when fired. This can be very noticeable.

Oddly enough, I was pondering that the rise of PCP's has given rise to more prone shooting because you can fit and use a bipod on one so many shots are taken in the prone position. It's harder to do this with a springer due to lack of bipod, so as a shooter you adopt more 'classic' shooting stances to get a steady aim.

As I said at the start, springers and PCP's are both first among equals. You choose what you like to shoot and just enjoy whichever suits you :cool:

18. drobson67

drobson67 Banned

Once you get over the initial cost of buying a pcp and charging gear you will have a better gun that will out perform a spring air rifle in terms of no recoil, multi shot, quietness and accuracy which is the main reason I bought a pcp after owning many springer's over the years. I don't get the logic of wanting a springer because they are more of a challenge to shoot or more fun?, whats fun for me is hitting a target pellet on pellet at ranges springer's can't compete at and I don't want the challenge of shooting at live prey where there is more chance of wounding compared to the accuracy of a pcp. Springer's have a life and soul of their own and I will always have a soft spot having grown up around them but with the advancements in technology we move on to better things. Do we still use flintlock rifles?.. NO because we have invented better alternatives. I do believe spring rifles have their place, in situations where you cant get easy access to refilling the air or perhaps in a survival situation where a spring powered air rifle would be an ideal choice for self reliance. Long live pcp's, ok rant over now lol...

19. jme99s

jme99s Donator

Well said

20. Donki Oaty

Donki Oaty Where's the time going?

I pick my S410 over my HW97K because it's quieter, more accurate, multishot, no recoil thus more accurate and lighter.