1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Why can't I do well on targets

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Gollum, May 24, 2015.

1. Gollum

Gollum Donator

Don't know why but when I am shooting at targets my groups dissapoint me :( However at the same range same rifle scope I can hit chalk sticks, beer bottle tops and alll sorts of small things consistently?????

2. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

I get bored shooting targets after about 5 minutes and can't be bothered. ..are you really trying atb

3. Gollum

Gollum Donator

I think I may be trying too hard.

4. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Maybe your trying to hard to print a nice neat group on paper,

but I agree, I can hit a 15mm spinner better than the same size target on paper?

5. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

Just keep at it then ...try different things positions until your on the money

6. Gollum

Gollum Donator

My arms sore with cocking the springer lol

7. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

Get a PCP lol

8. Gollum

Gollum Donator

If I could afford one I would, but I do really like springers

9. timmytree

timmytree Very Active

Look at the size of a bullseye on a target compared to a bottletop or chalkstick!
    Try using your imagination for targets, get a block of MDF, drill some holes in it and put in a line of matches. Stick trebor mints on a piece of card, the same with polos but try to shoot through the hole. Put jam on a piece of white card and try to shoot the flies!

10. SteveO

SteveO Squinty

Relaxing, correct posture, hold and breathing are all aspects you could work on to improve, Rome wasn't built in a day!

I love springer shooting, it gives a good sense of achievement and satisfaction when it comes right.

11. brit solder

brit solder Member

Are you changeing postion after every shot are you what about your breathing

12. brit solder

brit solder Member

Follow these it should help.
    1.the position and hold must be firm enough to support the weapon
    2.The weapon must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    3.sight alignment and the sight picture must be correct
    4. The shot must be released and followed though without undue disturbance to the position.
    These are the armed force's mark ship principles follow these and it should help with your grouping/shooting remember shooting is a skill it takes time and practice to get truly good at it

13. chevin

chevin Keyboard Hero

Imo it all comes down to practice, then more practice, as said above small targets, I love to practice with very small targets, such as match sticks or anything small, I also like to see how many I can shoot through the same hole, and them big fat blue bottle flies are great sport, all part of the fun.

14. waldo

waldo Well-Known Member

I do ok on paper targets, until a put that little sticker on it that says" competition", then for some inexplicable reason my shots are all over the place:D

15. Gollum

Gollum Donator

Having read the comments here and some shooting techniques videos I believe my main problems are,

Variable hold
    No follow through

Will endeavour to practice and find the solutions :) It's all good fun tho

16. Critanime

Critanime Donator

I am the same. I can hit spinners, knock down and rest targets and the likes without too much issue. Sit me in front of a target and get me to do a group and my brain says "ah screw this I am gonna mess with you now so you do crap!". I can do it if I really , really, REALLY try. Suppose it's down to practice.

17. ejd2006

ejd2006 Member

Same here I think with me its the pressure lol and something to do with all the lines on the target. Little spinners far easier

18. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

Shooting my Alecto Pistol with open sights has become my new challenge. The red dot sight that was on it was making it too easy.

I'm often left scratching my head after apparently aiming perfectly at a chosen shotgun shell and missing, as if I'd made no effort to aim at all.

I think follow through is my biggest let down with rifle or pistol. You need all of the elements described by brit solder to come together in order to get it right.

19. brit solder

brit solder Member

All follow though is is to make sure you don't move and don't release the trigger until your pellet round hits the target make sure you relase the trigger under control then rebuild your postion before you take the next shot and use the same point of aim make sure you don't snap the trigger to cause this can pull the rifle to the left

20. 177

177 Donator

Aim small, miss small.

I haven't the right mindset, discipline, or whatever else you want to call it for grouping on traditional concentric ring targets.

I usually shoot a pellet into a blank sheet of A4 and the next five or so get shot at that first pellet hole.

Either that or I stick a map pin into a blank sheet of A4 and shoot at that.

Every five or six shots I move the map pin if I haven't blown it to bits which, more often than not, I have.

Another thing to try is to make sure your zero range is a few yards either side of the range you are shooting at.

Example:

shoot a single hole into a sheet of A4 at 30 yards, assuming a 28 yard zero for .22 or a 36 yard for .177 (depending on power and pellet).

That gives you a constant aim point since you will be shooting a shade low in .22 and a shade high in .177

If you aim for a small target at your zero range and hit it, you just wiped out your aim point...

I sometimes use a Sharpie and just quickly doodle a dot onto a target. Here is 8 shots at 30 yards with my HW99s (rested):

[​IMG]

7 Shots at 35 yards using Bisley Magnums from my FAC Rapid:

[​IMG]

5 shots at 30 yards with my .20 HW95:

[​IMG]

10 shots from my old .22 HW77s (rested):

[​IMG]

You can see the map pin hole at the bottom of the above group - I shot it off with the first pellet and used that first pellet hole as my aim point for the rest of the group.

And to put this into perspective, this is when it all goes horribly wrong - the magazine cycling is out of whack on this particular PCP which results in the bolt shearing the pellet, which never hits the same place twice:

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

Try shouldering the gun without it cocked or loaded, bring it on aim, hold, breath, pull the trigger smoothly through its full travel and don't move the gun off aim until moment after the trigger has reached the end of its travel.

Good triggers are easier to work with, but even poor ones can give good results if you adopt this 'pull through the shot' method.

Practice on its own can easily plateau - good practice is more difficult to achieve without some external help. Often you can't see what it is you are doing wrong while others can.

The better you get the smaller the gains.

Keep at it - if it was easy we'd all be winning competitions left, right and centre :D

Incidentally the above groups (apart from the last one ;) ) are examples of when it all goes right. Needless to say, it sometimes doesn't...

Good luck !