1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Why are CO2 pistols so weak?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by gunnaknow, Feb 24, 2007.

1. gunnaknow

gunnaknow Newbie

Hi, I'm new here. I have been looking into buying a C02 repeater pistol but I have been disappointed with the fps figures. I have read that 6 ft/lbs is the legal limit for a pistol in the UK. However, after using the calculator below with the stated fps on sites and 8 grains as a weight, the ft/lbs of such pistols are way below the legal limit. The highest velocity repeaters I have seen are only around 4.4 ft/lbs at 500 fps, if 500 fps is even the true figure that is. Most are only 2.84 ft/lbs at 400 fps. Assuming that the manufacturers tested their pistols with 8 grain pellets, that is.

http://www.pyramydair.com/site/articles/formulas/

Why are most CO2 pistols only half the power of the legal limit? Is it because 12g gas catridges are too small to offer enough power but larger catridges would be too big to fit in a pistol? I have seen CO2 rifles that are rated at the legal limit of 12 ft/lbs and they use much larger catridges.

Does anyone know what the most powerful replica, repeater C02 pistols are? I have some rats and a squirrel that I need to kill at a range of up to 10 meters but also want a good looking replica and something that will fit a scope and laser. I fear that CO2 repeater pistols will injure rather than kill such vermin and cause them to suffer. Thanks for your help.

Gunna

2. gunnaknow

gunnaknow Newbie

I have come to the conclusion that I need an air rifle if I want to kill pests humanely. I am thinking of getting a Logun Solo. Still, I would really like to know why C02 pistols are so weak. I think it might be a combination of them only using small C02 canisters and a lack of the barrel length required for the C02 to accelerate the pellet to maximum velocity.

Gunna

3. gunnaknow

gunnaknow Newbie

God, this place is like a ghost town.

4. Porky

Porky Active Member

(The wind blows tumbleweed across the dusty street)

Howdy partner,;) I was thinking the same thing about co2 repeaters,it put me off a bit when I found out that most hardly dent a baked bean can....But I did get one eventually,a mate sold me his old Crosman 38T (1960's vintage)and thats got a bit more poke in it,for the first few shots anyways :)
    all the best, Porky

(pulls stetson down over eyes and quietly rides out of town):D