1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Who's been a silly boy then!!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by neiled, Jan 21, 2014.

1. neiled

neiled Donator

And the answer is........ME! :down:

My Hawke Nite Eye Digi IR 3-12x50 SF scope started playing up as the IR was staying on red and wouldn't switch to blue or turn off so I tried the obvious and change the battery to no avail. Then after asking for advise I decided to give the IR switch PCB a good clean, again no good so I then tried cleaning it with some WD40, resulting in the WD40 getting inside the scope on to the lens! :facepalm:

I spoke to Hawke who told me how to open the ocular lens up but that they couldn't do anything internally on scopes as they can't clean lenses to a high enough standard so I opened it up and tried drying it with a hair dryer, no good, so ended up wiping it with some kitchen cloth resulting in a smeared lens with fibre strands on it! So, does anyone know how to get the strands off and clean it properly or anywhere I can get it done, otherwise it's in the bin?

2. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

Take it to an opticians

3. Andy

Andy Administrative Staff Member Founder

Use a proper lint free cloth with some optical lens cleaner.

4. neiled

neiled Donator

Thanks lads, I'll have a look at both options.

5. jjones

jjones Well-Known Member

who will give it a rub with that purple methylated spirits and then rub it with a lens cleaning cloth (your granny will have one).

6. 177

177 Donator

Your scope will probably fog in poor weather if it's lost its gas fill...

7. neiled

neiled Donator

Is the rear end of the scope gas filled as I thought it was only the central sealed part?

8. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

:confused: how would changing batt and cleaning ir switch cause lens fogging? inside should be totally sealed

9. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

its all filled, I'd send it back,i've had a panorama go sent it back, bloke down or club ,talking to him just gone,hes had 5 panormas and 3 digi eyes

10. Alexdermietzel

Alexdermietzel Keyboard Hero

Try a camera lens brush to get the fibers off, then use some spray on alcohol to clean it. The alcohol with evaporate so you don't need to rub/smear it.

11. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

cleaning lenses is an art... first thing you'll need is cotton buds and lots of them, lighter fluid and a good large blower. it is important you dont touch anything that touches the lens as that will transfer grease from your hands to the lens.
    apply a few drops of lighter fluid to the tips of a clean cotton bud and using a circular motion wipe the whole surface once... bin the cotton bud and repeat as many times as needed.
    after all the grease/oil is off gently breath on the lens and wipe again with a clean cotton bud as many times as needed. use the blower to get the lint off.
    if your not getting any joy some camera shops will strip and clean lenses, if you can find an old chap into vintage camera repair would be cheaper. i've stripped and cleaned a lot of old cameras and lenses and more than a few sets of binoculars.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  12. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Isopropyl alcohol (Isopropanol) same stuff as in CD/DVD cleaning kits or screen wipes, medical wipes etc... Then use an opticians cleaning cloth to buff it.

13. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I would be very cautious about using any form of solvent on the coated lenses. I would use the fluid sold by opticians for cleaning coated spectacle lenses and one of their microfibre cloths. You might find an independant optician willing to have a go at it if you're lucky.
    The WD40 has done what it's designed to do - get in everywhere and it's a difficult job to remove it. To clean the metal parts you can use isopropyl alcohol wipes which can be bought from most chemists.

14. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

lighter fluid is one of the camera repair mans best kept secrets, its cheaper and works, have cleaned 100's of lenses 100's of times from rifle scopes to camera lenses to binoculars of all ages with all types of coatings and never damaged one yet. some of the lenses i own and have to clean cost more than most top rifle/scope combo's!!!i do have eclipse cleaning fluid and isopropanol (incredibly fast drying) but rarely use it.
    getting oil out though is going to be tough, will take a lot of swabbing

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      64.5 KB
      Views:
  15. Dan77k

Dan77k Donator

As above - use stuff from opticians or a camera shop. There's a neat little tool called a lens pen. Has a brush on one side to get rid of dust and a kind of coated felt pad on the other for rubbing over the lens in a circular pattern to remove grease and marks. Used in conjunction with some lens fluid to remove any stubborn marks and you should have some spotless glass.

16. Patrick

Patrick Donator

Buy some lens cleaning tissues from a camera shop and some lens cleaning fluid,methylated spirit would probably be just as effective.

17. Fozz

Fozz Posting Addict

I'm with mark on this, your first job is to get rid of the wd40,then to clean the lens. You will ruin a lense pen with the wd40. I use lighter fluid on my camera equipment and as already mentioned I use lenses that cost much more than any airgun kit I own.

Even if he does use a Canon...........:p

18. 177

177 Donator

The key words were "probably" and "if"

The way I read it, one or more lenses had been removed.

19. neiled

neiled Donator

Couple of points of clarification on this:

1. I've only removed the end "fast focus ocular lens" & eye bell piece to get inside the scope. It's this end eye bell lens and the first internal one that need cleaning.

2. Only a couple of small drops of WD40 actually got through the casing on to the lens.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'll give the lighter fluid a go then clean up with cotton buds or lint free cloth, perhaps it can still be saved from the bin :)

20. mark.177

mark.177 Donator

dont pour lighter fluid on anything though mate use it on cotton buds or clean cloth