1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Who uses .20 and other cals?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by tomsteebs, Aug 16, 2014.

1. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

I owned a .20 briefly but sold it when I was lacking funds. I now a luster for a hw100 and a .20 rifle and after seeing a thread of bunnyblatters purchase it's put it a few spaces closer to the front of the mind.

But what are people's opinions in direct comparison to the other cals? If there was no extra wait or expense would you choose it every time?

Do certain rifles suit being .20 more?

Atb
    Tom

2. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

I'll let you know how I get on Tom once I've got mine. It's the only "normal" cal that I've never used
    .22,.177 and .25 all will take quarry if the shooter can put the pellet where it's needed

I would say practice with every pellet size is needed and if you're confident in your set up then all calibres will do the same job all be it at different ranges

3. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned BANNED

Ìv heard some people speak very highly of .20 and others have told me dont bother .iv never used .20 but would like to try one to make my own mind up atb

4. Steve K

Steve K Posting Addict

Tom, just my views on it, i have a Rapid in .20, some say .20 is a combination of the best of .22 and .177, some say it it has the worst characteristics of those two calibres?

My views on it are as follows, bearing in mind i don't have a favourite calibre, apart from a limited pellet choice, it is maybe an all round general calibre and i'm surprised it isn't more popular?

Shooters who want that extra bit of distance would be better off with a .177 and if they like more stopping power then a .22 is IMO a better option. For somebody who really can only have one rifle, i reckon the .20 is the best option, obviously subject to what it's main use will be, but a great general calibre IMO

Steve ;)

5. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

Another thread this week suggests that one manufacturer of .20 cal pellets in the states is discontinuing production as it's now considered a dead cal. I think .20 was born in the USA as spring bean used to say

6. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Hmm interesting points, I personally am lucky to have a few in .22 and a .177 so I use the choosen rifle for enjoyment really/ or if it's best for the job. So maybe a .20 would be obsolete?

7. 177

177 Donator

I own a .20 HW95, very tuned, shoots like a gem.

Top one in this picture:

[​IMG]

Three freestanding shots at 35 metres:

[​IMG]

You can buy enough pellets in bulk for not much money to outlast you so I don't buy into the obsolete argument - additionally I think the calibre has more than enough of a following to warrant the manufacture of .20 pellets. Email H&N if you are concerned and ask them what their production life-cycle plans are...

I don't want to get into a 'best' argument - you can make any calibre work for you if you put the time into it. I shoot .177, .20 and .22 with most of my guns being in .22

I can make any of them do what I want, and all of them regularly put supper on the table. I have a soft spot fot the .20 HW95 but that is more because of how the gun shoots than the calibre it currently happens to be.

You need to be confident in your rig, which comes with practice at different ranges and under different conditions. Once you have the trick of it you can make any calibre produce results downrange.

Enjoy it, if/when you buy into it :)

8. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

.20 is farfrom been obsolete its more popular than ever now in the uk jsb daystate h&n popular brands heard daystate are looking at making a .20 lite theres also accupel ect crossman prems the list is growing in my opinion up to a few years ago if youve not tried tne cal its well worth ago i loved it in pcp never had a springer in .20 but had gasrams but didntrate gasrams to try it properly would i have another .20 defo yes u cant explain why its so good it just is

9. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned BANNED

There must be some advantages and disadvantages with most if not all of the cals that we have available, but an earlier reply hit the nail on the head. If you can take an accurate shot, to a zone that will provide a clean instant kill, then just enjoy the one that you feel suits your ability. I love .177 however .22 performs to much greater performance on my higher power rifle. KB1

10. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I'm a .20 fan boy, I have a rapid and a mfr in it and love it. Bry has just secured a hw100 kt .20 which I'm looking forward to putting a few pellets through. As Dave has said above, .20 is taking off hence a hw100 .20, would wheihrauch do this if it was on the way out?

Also Daystate do .20 and have so for a few years now so I find bisley decision strange but is that because more people use JSB/h&n?

11. Wicasa

Wicasa Member

I have a HW 97 K in .20
    Use JSB Exact pellets. These pellets are much easier to handle than their .177 counterparts.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  12. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

First off Bisley do not MAKE pellets. they buy them in from manufcturers who package them - it is a marketing name that's all. Most of the Bisley range are Beeman pellets, others are Crossman made.

Webley and HW have just launched a range of rifles in .20, the German maker offered it as a special build for years, but now with the increase in popularity they are a standard order and dealers are putting them on the shelf. When I went into Woody's of WEmbley last year they had THREE HW100s in .20 in the stock room and another on the gunrack in glass cabinet.

RAW make all their rifles in .20 and they have sold plenty of the TM1000 in .20

.20 is very popular in USA and South Africa, most target rifles in South Africa are .20 and they always feature high in the rankings. I think it was last year the top 10 places were all .20 in the RSA benchrest championships (it might have been the year before...I lose track of time).

I have been using .20 since 1996, almost exclusively. Certainly to the point where I have to make myself use anything else. If you want an explanation as to why the .20 works so well, the easiset way I can find to try and explain it is to use a Venn diagram - remember those sets diagrams you used in maths at school? It has the blend of characteristics that are desirable for the hunter - and for benchrest those shooters too, apparently according to the results tables!

All calibres have a set of characteristics pertaining to them - velocity permitted (by the legal limit), flight path (trajectory), wind cheating ability, deformation on impact, penetration for feathered game (although any bird's head is very fragile), energy retention, ease of handling the pellets with cold hands and fumbly fingers might be a factor for older shooters.....all these things work together to create.There isa compromise of all these things regardless of which calibre you look at - what you win on the swings, you lose on the roundabouts.

Where .20 comes into its own is by having the best set of compromises across the board - if you gave each feature a score out of 10, then added up the results, the .20 would come out on top due to the blend of these factors. A different calibre might well eclipse it in ONE aspect, but the whole picture is what you should be looking at, not just one facet of it. Looking at the entire picture, the .20 just happens to have the most rounded set of features. That is why it is, over the last 18 years for me, the best of the choices.

Here is that Venn diagram to try and illustrate how the overlap of features gives the .20 the edge. I am rubbish at driving a computer, a friend did this for me, after reading something similar to above. There are more circles that could be introduced, but the overlap of all of them would still be where the .20 sat. While the other calibres would have some of the overlaps, but not as many of all of them. If that makes sense.

[​IMG]

Like 177 and his HW95, here is a 30 yard 10 shot group from my break barrel Theoben that got me hooked on .20 back in 1996. Stood, leaning over a wheelie bin to help reduce my wobbles. It did for most of them. :D

[​IMG]

13. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I've not shot a .20 since I had a Sheridan many years ago, I didn't like the rifle which was far too much hard work for nothing. That was a very pretty Venn diagram but I don't think it proves anything in itself but if a rifle/pellet combination works for you then it's the right one.
    However you try and compare different calibres at 12 ftlb you will get different answers and it's just as easy to say that .20 has all the better qualities of .177 and .22 as it is to say that it combines all the worst points. Neither is totally correct, the truth lies somewhere in between. Currently there is a wide choice of good quality pellets for .177 and .22 (not so many for .20 but you only need 1 or 2 anyway) and you can get heavy .177 or light .22 of about the same weight and completely overlapping the .20 range. Any of the (3) calibres will do the job for most of us once a suitable pellet has been identified for the rifle so if you're confident in your equipment then it's the right choice for you, it may not be the best choice for me though.
    At the end of the day if you want to get something in .20 then just do it, arguments and logic won't make any difference if your mind is made up :)

14. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Some good rights ups here: cheers
    My reasoning behind .20 is u like different stuff and .20 is different.
    My other reason is I was planning on a .177 hw100 but then I remembered the runners, the shot counts and the feminine feeling I had shooting with my .22's next to me.

So I wondered if .20 would be the option to up the knock down and decrease the holdover.

But as with alot of things it somtimes isn't as simple as go the middle route for compromise as it may share more characteristics one way. But are we saying it is a straight up down the middle calibre?

15. sharpsman

sharpsman Pro Poster

Choise of Pellet weight can have as much effect on ballistics as the calibre does imho.

16. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, i tried a webley vmx in .20 but not so ideal for me, i thought to get a WW tune but then your just as well getting a HW95, if the HW 100 in .20 was not so heavy as i am no arnie muscle man:rolleyes: i would get one, but then as i put on some other threads why dont the UK manufactures like BROCKOCK or AA make one??

17. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Aa make there own barrels I think (or used to anyway), as you say Brocock could as they use hw barrels

18. sharpsman

sharpsman Pro Poster

I think AA source thier barrels from Lowther Walther with the exception of the CZ built s200,i know they tried the CZ barrels on the EV2 but went back to Lowther Walther barrels i believe.

19. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I would say that buying a .20 just because it's different is a perfectly valid reason.
    If you're looking for the best ballistics from your rifle then pellet choice is very important. Pellets which look similar may well have very different ballistic coefficients and long range performance. For short range plinking it doesn't really matter what you shoot as anything which has acceptable accuracy will have plenty of energy for cans or short range rats etc. If you want to shoot at or near the limit for a 12ftlb rifle then it would pay to be more careful in the choice of pellet, a bit of time spent with Chairgun will give you plenty of information on trajectory and the effect of wind.
    If you're shooting at FAC power levels then it's a whole different ball game. Larger bores are more air efficient and will give more energy while still remaining subsonic having a flatter trajectory and being less susceptible to crosswinds.

20. TORNADOS7

TORNADOS7 Top Poster

Have often thought about converting my 95k to .20 but don't really know if it's going to make that much of a difference or even if it worth all the hassle/expense I've got 4 rifles at the moment 3 of which are .22 and the 95 is .177 !...

At some point I may just order a .20 barrel for the 95k and mothball it for future reference !...