1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Which Used 10m Target Pistol

Discussion in 'Air Pistols' started by Alastair, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Alastair

Alastair Active Member

i current have a compact gamo which I enjoy target shooting at home. However trigger just isn’t great dispute lubing and spring stretching and suspect longer sight relief would help.

What can I find for up to £300 secondhand that will be a step up? Need to have a great trigger.

Al

2. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

If you can find one, the FAS 604 is an excellent SSP pistol with a trigger that puts many of the more expensive target pistols to shame. Really wish I'd never got rid of mine.

[​IMG]

3. Douglas Soal

Douglas Soal Donator

The HW 75 has a good trigger, and is in your price band.

4. Alastair

Alastair Active Member

Thanks but am thinking of target pistols and I’m not sure either are that different to the gamo although sure they have better triggers. I have used an older fas 604 and that was great.

Looking at match pistols really

5. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

You might be lucky and find something like a Rohm Twinmaster in your price range, but they do usually go for upto about £100 more

Alastair likes this.
  6. PhatMan

PhatMan Posting Addict

Al,

Are you after PCP or SSP pistols only ? Or new only ?

Vintage 10m springer Match pistols - FWB65/80/90 or Diana/Original Model 10 can be found (often) well under your £300, and will shoot superbly.

I find the Baikal MP-46M to be an excellent SSP pistol, but now sells new for p!ss-taking amounts :(

All of the new PCP match pistols from the major brands shoot superbly, but also come with a scalping price tag - even second-hand, they will in most cases be well over your £300.

If you don't mind a CO2 pistol, the Tau 7 Match is very nice, and you will get around 60 - 70 shots from a CO2 caplet.

Have fun :)

Best regards

Russ

Alastair likes this.
  7. Frog

Frog Busy Member

I used to shoot 10m pistol very seriously - the below reflects ownership and shooting experience.

Trigger on the Rohm is definitely not the best...

Personally I have found the FAS 604 to be nice and accurate but is is low powered even by 10m pistol standards (380 - 390 fps) and barely cuts clean holes (and doesn't if you use less than premium targets). Not tried the FAS 6004 but that has had mixed reviews about reliability mainly.

The trigger on the FWB 65 is better than on the 80 and the 90 is great while the electronic trigger works (can be a real problem if the electronics fail) .

The original 10 is very good if you get one that is shooting well but does require a skilled gunsmith to replace seals if they have failed and some repairers wont touch them. The original 6m is also nice especially with wood grips - small applies to the 6m as the 10 with regards to seal replacement.

Tau 7 is good as mentioned - power adjustable and trigger can be set up very nice. If you set the power around 440 fps you will get enough shots for a 60 shot match including sighters from a single caplet. You get one shot that shoots ok but sounds different before the caplet runs out - the next shot will hit the bottom of the target!

If you want to go very cheap try a CP1 (mine was about £50 from Poland a while back). Has all the accuracy you need. Work on the trigger (I made a whole new one..) and you can get a very crisp 520g single stage trigger. Replace hammer spring with a lighter one for reduced power. Work on the grip (both adding and removing material) and you can have a pistol to rival a Tau for less than £100...

Baikal 46 is nice but weight is very front biased - some like that other don't - me included in the latter. The grip will need work to fit your hand.

You may be able to find a FWB CO2 target pistol in your price range - they are excellent and as 10m pistol is shot in doors the temperature issue does not arise - if it warm enough for the shooter the pistol will be fine. Down side is needing a bulk CO2 supply - they do not use caplets.....

The SMK PCP pistols may be worth a look - I have not had one but have shot one and was impressed. Will need down tuning and the grip will need some work but that should not be beyond the wit of man... (thermo plastic beads that you put in boiling water to soften would prob be helpful....). Would need open sights contriving on the early version (later ones have them I think) - but could be done... Also need to check it can 'fit in the box' (look that up if needs be!)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Crossman, pbrown and Alastair like this.
  8. Alastair

Alastair Active Member

Phatman, Frog, that is great infomation thanks for taking the time.

As always the perfect option isn’t without compromises or cheap!

I’m really enjoying 10m with my Gamo so I think I will set my self a scoring target and in the meantime keep an eye out for one of the CO2 options at a good price. I really do like the FWBs for some reason...

9. Frog

Frog Busy Member

The FWB CO2 pistols are very good - I had a C20 which was probably the best target pistol I ever owned (much better than a Hamerli PCP which I hated!). For bulk CO2 a fire extinguisher is a good option especially if you have somewhere local to refill it. Where abouts are you? - I ask As I have an empty large CO2 tank I no longer use.

10. Squirrelking

Squirrelking Donator

I've seen early CO2 powered Air Arms Alfa's go for under £400 however they're not particularly common. Having tried the PCP version I'd be looking out for one but do your research first.

11. RagnarHairybreeks

RagnarHairybreeks Keyboard Hero

@Sqirrelking I’m with you on the PCP Alfa, lovely little pistol. I’ve played with some far classier pistols but at 10m the Little blue-nose punches well above its price tag. I think it would take some hunting to find one inside the price bracket though.

12. Frog

Frog Busy Member

13. Nobbi1977

Nobbi1977 Donator

14. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

£300 is a bit of a no-man's land for used target pistols; more than the budget stuff goes for but a lot less than used examples of higher-end stuff.

The Tau-7 is a good shout; as is the AA Alfa if you can find a used one within budget. The FAS 604 is also a great choice if you're happy to stay SSP - make sure you go with the earlier, proper 604 rather than the current, corners-cut 6004.

I'd avoid the SMK stuff as it's really just budget plinking fare and will punish you with its sh*te trigger compared to what you currently have. Likewise hte HW75 is a nice gun but not a target pistol.

If you want to go proper bargain basement the HW40 is a proper giant-killer - plastic fantastic and you lose out on the compact's anatomical grip, but a superb trigger for the money and you'll get a used one for £80. If starting from scratch I'd take a '40 over the compact for 10m any day of the week.

If you're able to up your budget a bit you might get a used Steyr LP1 for £400-500, which shifts things up the scale considerably...

15. Paul55

Paul55 Posting Addict

I briefly owned a Rohm Twinmaster with the anatomical grip. I'd previously owned both the HW40 & Gamo Compact & it outshot them with ease. Clover leaves became the norm with it & that was it's downfall for me. A lot of people don't get me when I tell them I sold it because it was too accurate, it let me know when I was not on form & that took the enjoyment out of shooting it.

Nobbi1977 likes this.
  16. Wynne G Oldman

Wynne G Oldman Engaging Member

Baikal MP46M is in my opinion the best target pistol you can buy on a budget. Very accurate, with a very good trigger. The older Fienwerkbau and Walther CO2 target pistols are probably better, but they're far and few and bulk CO2 can be a bit of a pain.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    joncaddy likes this.
  17. Geezer

Geezer Posting Addict

You should be able to find an FWB65/80, a Diana 10, or a FAS604, in excellent condition, for around your budget. Which to choose (or others as suggested above) really comes down to personal preference.

18. Alastair

Alastair Active Member

Thats a great offer but I'm in kent so a fair way off.

Some really good thoughts there guys - great to gets alternatives. I kind of feel like a good 10m pistol is a pair of grips and am amazing trigger - so i definately want anatomical grips and a great trigger which I think rules the Rohm out. I would have thought the barrels should all be straight enough to make no difference?

found these options - thoughts?

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/air-pistols/walther/pre-charged-pneumatic/177/cp201-180703094125435

https://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy-se...kbau-model-2-target-pistol-/view#.W4rboOhKiUk

https://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy-se...inwerkbau-c10-target-pistol/view#.W4rb1uhKiUk

I quite like the look of that C10 but I have read they are known for having inconsistent speeds unless tweaked by the factory? Probably just internet folklore

19. Paul55

Paul55 Posting Addict

Don't rule the Rohm out, it has a great trigger, honestly.

Nobbi1977 likes this.
  20. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Must admit that I'd still go for a FAS 604 and then buy an anatomical grip from the likes of Gunsmoke or Armamania.