1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Advice which to choose?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by rascaltrousers, Mar 24, 2012.

1. rascaltrousers

rascaltrousers Busy Member

HI there, I'm MItch and I'm new to this site. I've recently taken up shooting again after a 15 year break, thanks to a frined who has secured us permission on a local farm. I'm currently using my Air arms TX200 mkI which I bought new when I used to shoot years ago. It is a lovely gun, powerful, accurate and beautifully made, BUT and it's a big but, It is also very heavy which means after a couple of hours I struggle to hold it still. Also being left handed, although the stokc is correct the chamber to load is on the right and the under lever is very heavy to cock.

I'm looking for a second rifle for hunitng rabbits, rats etc. I need full power and good accuracy but with relatively light weight. A local shop has the following in stock and I was wondering if any site members had any experience of these rifles and what the thought of them:

1. Kral Magnum £108
    2. Crosman Optimus £153 including 4x32 scope & mounts.
    3. Cometa (not usre what model) £120.

The Kral seems very good value, the Crosman was a nice looking and elegant gun with a more quality feel and well balanced. The Cometa was very light, almost too light so I'm guessing it will be low power.

I've been researching the net and I'v seen many rifles advertised as full power but with muzzle velocities in the same .177 calibre varying from 800 to 1250 fps. How can 2 full power rifles vary by 1/3 ?

Any advice or information any site members can give would be much appreciated.

2. Mart61

Mart61 Pro Poster

I'm no expert and I've no knowledge of the guns of which you speak.

I have owned a tx200 and currently shoot an HW97KT.

I would reckon your tx may be far and away better than any of your suggested guns. Could you put a sling in the tx to help carrying it around?

3. Jonnyovy

Jonnyovy Pro Poster

if you want a quality, light weight springer i would go for a used hw95k

4. bunnyblatter

bunnyblatter Pro Poster

Here here
    the tx will be head and shoulders above what you've mentioned

5. darklord

darklord Can’t beat a tx200 at 30m

I doubt any you mentioned are on the limit I dont think anything at a ton will be close and all woll be noisy with terrible triggers. Go for a used hw for a little more money or as said fit a sling. I wouldnt try for quarry at unlnown distances with an unknown under powered gun its not sporting.

6. rascaltrousers

I appreciate eveyrone's comments. I have looked at the HW95k online and it is'nt much lighter than the TX200 so I don't think it would be much advantage. I have M.E. and although it is mild I do get tired easily and then get muscle aches, so the weight of the rifle is quite important both from the fatigue factor and also in holding it steady. A friend suggested an extendable aluminium fishing rode rest with a cup at the top to support the rifle for standing shooitn and I've bought one of these to try which might help. but it's mostly lugging the gun around that is the issue. Also budget is limited. I'm in agreement that to use an underpowered gun for hunting would not be wise but If the guns I'm looking at are full power then there shouldn't be a problem should there? Surely one full power rifle with a muzzle velocity of 1000fps is much the same as another with the same output.

7. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Borrox! The HW95 is a lot lighter than a TX, just try aiming one of each! You will not get a muzzle velocity of 1000 fps, not without a license, you have to remember we have a 12 foot pound limit, unless you have a firearm certificate. The figure of 1000 fps is the maximum the gun can produce! Also sounds like a very Hatsan claim that... Not that there is anything wrong with a Hatsan!

8. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned BANNED

The Hw95k is a lot lighter than a TX which is about the same weight as an Hw97.. I know, I have one and it's by far my lightest springer.

9. kimblefade

kimblefade Active Member

I used to hunt years ago with a guy who used a BSA supersport and I remember it being very light. I did have the TX200SR which was the same weight as a hatchback so it may have been offset by that fact. It was a great gun and he used to bag up on many a trip. Seen some used ones well within your budget. Also seen a lot of tall bipods that double as walking sticks at good money!

10. andy46

andy46 Donator

11. keeprightontilltheendoftheroad

keeprightontilltheendoftheroad Big Poster

Hi the TX is a quality gun most quality springers have heavy actions inc Weihrauchs. I personally think you might be better switching to pre charge. If your disability is effecting you I would look at getting a lightweight pcp like Brocock Contour or BSA Ultra. Sell the TX use money towards a pcp. You won't have hassle either of trying to break the barrel or under lever cocking.

12. rascaltrousers

Thanks to all for the advice. I had a look at the custom stock link. I'ms ure they are very good but my personal opinion is that they are hideous - probably hideously expensive too I'd guess. Idid look at the spuersport but new was too expensive so I might keep my eye open for a second hand one.

13. amaser1

amaser1 Donator

An alternative would be the Crosman Ratcatcher, the new one with the longer barrel should be putting out about 10 ftlbs I reckon.