1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Scopes which scope would you choose

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by sillygarry, Mar 8, 2014.

1. sillygarry

sillygarry Posting Addict

mtc viper or hawke panorama that is the question :confused: wanted for hunting,ratting and some hft :confused:

2. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

personal prefernance to be fair try both and see which you prefer :)

3. Wild Bill

Wild Bill co2 Enthusiast, HW97, K98 owner

Sleaford, Lincolnshire and Wales sometimes.
    Without a doubt, in my humble opinion, for HFT and hunting, the Hawke Panorama 4-12x40 IR AO. The half mildot ret is sublime and the glass is better than the MTC viper (any of them).

4. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Have never owned a Viper, but have used them before. I prefer the Panorama myself.

5. Padster

Padster Engaging Member

I'm bang in the middle people of the same quandary... Was going to go for the panorama 3-9x40 IR AO, But some people say it struggles for light so go for the 50 objective.. Decisions decisions.. Darn it, now I also need to think about the 4-12!

6. andy draper

andy draper Posting Addict

Got a viper,never used a panorama so can't compare the two.I am not keen on the scb ret it is far too cluttered for me,so the half mildot would be my personal preference,but I love the quality of the viper.
    andy.

7. Count Jedi

Count Jedi Donator

Very good question, I have a Panorama 3-9 x 40 and a Viper 10 x 44 and would struggle to say which one is better, but for your needs then I would go with the Panorama of the 2 I have. I'm shortly going to buy a Viper 3-12x44 to see if this is better for my needs.

8. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

Have a 40mm and 50mm panorama and like both. Light is good on both. Never had a viper but did have a mamba and didnt like it.

9. milek

milek Honorary Member

I have had three Vipers and four Panorama's but you must compare apples with apples. The range of the Panorama's is vast so I will say that the 4-12x40 AOIREV with MAP6A was better in nearly every department than the Vipers in all but one area. The gradients on the Panorama's were inaccurate whereas the Viper was spot on. Glass was much of a muchness at these prices but as I have stuck with the Pano's it's not hard to see what I favour. The simple uncluttered MAP6A ret does me just fine for HFT. The new Airmax scopes look interesting too with SWF.

10. scoie

scoie Busy Member

hi sillygarry
    im in Ruislip so nice and close if you want to look at my panoromas before spending hard earned cash, ive 2 x 4-12x40( one front ao , the other fixed ) and rate then highly , I couldn't get on with MTC and whiting out problems ( to my eyes anyway).
    pm if you want to have a look
    cheers
    craig

11. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

I had both, sold the viper, I'd go for the hawke all day long, better optics and ret's are better too

12. The Robin

The Robin Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

As already said it's a personal thing, have a look through both and see what you like the best :up:

For or me I've had both but only have the MTC now, the hawke scopes are very nice but like the MTC better

13. 177

177 Donator

This ^^

I've yet to be wowed by anything MTC and although you can get better scopes than the Panorama the 4-12x40 IR AO is a solid performer and very usable.

Having owned a 50 and (briefly) a 40mm I'd go for the 40mm every time. The 50mm was a pig by comparison, and suffered from loss of focus out towards the edges of the lenses. The smaller scope was infinitely more flexible and useful for target acquisition - I came dangerously close to buying another one recently to go on top of a project gun.

I was hugely relieved to get rid of the 50mm Panorama...

Note that I've avoided banging on about alternatives since you seem to have your mind fairly set ;)

If low light performance is a concern then there are better options in a very similar price point, but not if AO is also a priority.

Good luck !

14. 177

177 Donator

I meant to add, have you seen the relatively new side focus 2.5-10x44 Hawke Varmint ?

Same half mil dot ret but slightly bigger lens and side focus is always handy.

Might make an interesting trade off for the illuminated ret of the Panorama.

One word of caution - the half mil dot ret is a real marmite option. Someone mentioned MAP 6A earlier and that could be a much more useable ret, depending on your eyes.

I didn't much care for the half mil dot ret but I found the MAP 6A a lot easier to get along with and use.

Everyone is different though.

Happy hunting :)

15. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

Hawke, as mtc suffers at dusk and is unnecessarily heavy for hunting.

16. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman Very Active

Sort of agree . i done 12 months between Hawke and MTC swapping on and of my ranger . not bothered about weight as i lug a Ranger around , find the MTC ret to imposing on IR mode , i do not want an illuminated Xmas tree at dusk obscuring everything :mad: Same with my sidewinder Sr6 however i just bought a 8/32 sidewinder from a forum member with a different ret , so il try that when it arrives in the next couple of days ,So Far im preferring Hawke optics . However modern optics are a bit all singing all dancing , iv used high mags and side focus Parallax to learn the limitations of sub 12 air . Done that now with 3 scopes up to about £900 all in . now after about 2 years know my kit . need proper glass so going to sell them all to buy a Zeiss 4/16 x 50 , side parallax , sod all else , know how far over to aim at distance now , job done , for now :rolleyes:

17. Padster

Padster Engaging Member

Can't find anywhere with the panorama 4-12 x40 I stock at the moment, the varmint side focus looks interesting, anyone go one?

18. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Deben have more Panoramas coming in at the end of this month.

19. leaky5

leaky5 Donator

Have you tried Rifle Sports over in Grays ? They normally have a reasonable stock of Hawkes.

20. leaky5

leaky5 Donator

Lol, shame you did not ask this before the charity shoot, I had the Hawke 4-12x40 AO on my 95 that day