1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Which rifle for an Occasional user advise

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Tang, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Tang

Tang Active Member

First off not that sort of occasional user :eek: I mean the air rifle.

So here's my question. I am a falconer so most of my hunting is beast on beast however I would like an air rifle to take a few rabbits each year and to rid my permission of squirrels ( can be dangerous to hawks). I would like a springer with a scope in .22 but because it won't be my main hunting tool I only want to spend around £150. I don't really want a plinker that will kill a rabbit with a lucky shot, a clean quick kill for the quarry is priority so if £150 won't achieve that then I will have to rethink. Distances?well I guess those that hunt bunnies already know that you won't get much closer than 20 metres.

Ive been to a local gun shop that has offered a Gamo whisper with scope for £180 but I've read reviews that the Gamo isn't the best build/ tolerances. He also has a BSA lightening (2nd hand) with scope for £280 ( more than I wanted to spend but I guess is much better)

So I thought I would come here for impartial help and advise please with your recommendations

2. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

3. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    totally agree with ken. for your budget a hatsan mod 60s - much better than the couple of rifles that you have mentioned, and the best rifle under £200 by far. in fact, it will live with some springers costing more than that.
    i dont usually take notice of the reviews in the comics, but i do with this one http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/hatsan_60S

4. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Yes I have sung the praises of Hatsan within these pages, mostly in connection with my Hatsan Built Webley Longbow SE .22.......Quattro trigger is superb, build quality is superb.........finish on stock superb.....blueing could be a tad better but still good.

Funny how it weren't so long ago that Hatsan was having the Censored ripped out of them on all the forums, for not being built in Brum mostly :D Folk are beginning to sit up and take notice now though aren't they?

I think Hatsan is one company us shooters of whatever discipline should be keeping an eye on. Moving up their product line a bit, the Dominator 200W is one fine rifle, my only criticism is that I think it's a bit too over decorated, but that could just be my rather old fashioned and conservative, (with a very small c), ideas about design.

ATB, Ray.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  5. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, if you can up your budget slighly look at this rifle mentioned in .177 shooting superdomes, get the one with a screw cut barrel to take a silencer as can be bought s/h off here as can a decent scope suitable for a springer. i reckon then a good kit for £200/220.

6. Tang

Tang Active Member

Thanks for the replys much appreciated, i will look at getting the Hatsan then. However i am now confused a little, i am suprised at all the sugestions of .177, i thought .22 was the clear favourite for hunting?

7. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, .177 has the edge on distance/ power/ as a .22 will drop slightly at longer ranges. i never thought to use .177 as always been a .22 hunter. but with my 2 PCPs using a heavy pellet i can shoot just that extra distance if required, now as long as you get decent POIs with your springer you can do same. if you were shooting only rats ok with .22 but rabbits and tree rats a .177 will top out those in very tall trees.

8. stevemandm

as you stated .22, i recommend the mod 60s, but if you are open to other calibres, I would suggest the mod 55s. same rifle as the 60s, but in .177. personally, I much prefer .177. the 2 main advantages are better trajectory and cheaper pellets. both are as effective as each other for hunting (your prey will fall if you put the pellet where you want, regardless of calibre), but because of better and flatter trajectory, many find that .177 is easier to shoot accurately

9. Tang

Tang Active Member

Ok thanks both, ive just read the "which pellet" sticky and now what you both say makes sense. Basically bunny hunting is generally futher away and the kill zone is small so .177 is better (more acurate at distance) If im honest i had picked .22 before really understanding but i think .177 is the way i will go. :up:

10. stevemandm

if you get the hatsan mod 55s, i would recommend the best pellets to be one of either jsb exact express, jsb exact or rws superdome. our mod 55s shoots these 3 great, with the express just edging it

11. Tang

Tang Active Member

Ok so I could be in for some flak here :eek:

Ive asked your advice and then just like my kids ignored it and bought my neighbours well, ermm, ahh BSA........there said it.

He was selling up to go to college. It a BSA scorpion single shot .22 with silencer, strap and a Hawke Nite Eye 3-12x50 for £200.

So when I'm on here asking all sorts of daft questions because I can't hit an elephants ar*e at 3 paces then I will be prepared for " well we told you not to buy a BSA". :)

But seriously thanks for all the input since I've joined the forum

12. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Scorpions and ultras are some of the best entry level pcps around.

13. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Nothing wrong with that Scorpion and nothing wrong with the fact it is a .22 either - although there are a vociferous minority of .177 shooters, it is a fact that .22 pellets outsell .177 by a five fold. I was talking to one of th ebiggest wholesalers in the country only a couple of weeks ago about it.....so imagine how few of my calibre are sold (5mm = .20) by comparison.

Have you got any way of recharging the rifle? You will need either a high pressure hand pump WITH AN AIR DRYING DEVICE ON IT (look at the Hills pumps) or a diving cylinder of compressed air. Fill the rifle to 180bar and it will give you about 60 shots, the pressure in the rifle will then be down to about 110bar and at the end of useful pressure - yes it will still fire, but I wouldn't recommend going below this pressure. The best way to keep the rifle on song is to maintain the pressure between 140bar and 170bar - you will only need a small top up then too, by either means.

If you are using a pump, don't try and muscle your way through it - stand on the foot stand of the pump, bend your knees and keep your back straight and stand up to lift the pump handle and draw the air in. To pump the air into the rifle, don't press down with your arms, keep your arms locked and bend your knees again and use your bodyweight to compress the stroke. HOLD THE PUMP HANDLE DOWN FOR 2 SECS BEFORE STARTING ANOTHER STROKE ! You need to give the pressurised air a chance to flow in through the filling valve. It is amazing how many people start to lift as soon as they hit the bottom of the stroke - pausing a moment will see you getting the same pressure for fewer pump strokes, because you will maximise the effectiveness of each one.

With a dvie cylinder, you just turn the knob and listen to the air whistling across whilst watching the gauge on the cylinder valve gradually sweep round to your chosen pressure. I would make it 170 and do it more often...don't forget to purge the pressurised air line, on either pump or cylinder, with the pressure relief knob. It will hiss as the high pressure air is released from the airline between the rifle valve and the means of filling. If you don't purge it there will be an almighty BANG and you will jump out of your skin!

OH - I see you are in Worcestershire....you have Darrin at XTX Air not far from you. He is a wizard with BSA rifles, any questions, just give him a shout...just look up XTX Air on the google.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  14. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Scorpions and ultras will will match rifles at twice the price:)

15. stevemandm

our ultra (the scorpions little brother) will live with virtually any pcp going. admittedly its had the xtx treatment, which makes a good rifle great

16. Tang

Tang Active Member

Thanks for the replies I've got an even bigger permagrin now that I know I haven't bought a lemon. Thanks for taking the time on your post accuspell. The neighbour has said that I can use his bottle to charge it which I will do until I source one. I'm going to look on fleabay. Is there anything in particular that I need to look out for, connection type etc. Also at the risk of sounding stupid, if you can use a hand pump why can't you use an electric compressor?

17. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

Because you would need a compressor that can go to 3200psi or 220bar and deliver breathing quality air. At that kind of compression the water vapour that is in normal air get ssqueezed like a sponge and filling your rifle with ambient air will release about an eggcupful of water. It depends upon temperature and RH % but roughly an eggcupful.

What to watch for? Don't get a 232bar tank and don't get a carbon one. Go for a steel, 300bar and I would suggest 7 or 12 litres. That way it will last you a year per fill, unless you get the bug.

18. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

How many times would a 300bar 12lt tank fill a wee ultra??

19. mattyts

mattyts Donator

100-200
    7l @ 300 bar, 73 fills
    12l @ 300 bar, 126 fills

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  20. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Duper Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

filling from 100-200 a ultra will do
    300 bar 7L = 76 fills
    300 bar 12L = 130 fills