1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Which Pcp For £800'ish

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by pelletpunk, Feb 14, 2020 at 9:06 PM.

1. pelletpunk

pelletpunk Member

Hi I am thinking of selling my 2 shotguns as I just don't use them these days and I get much more fun from my air rifle.
    I would buy second hand in as new condition what could I get for £800'ish?
    It will be used for garden plinking/rats & pigeons.
    No BP's as I like proper rifle :thumb:

Thanks

2. Figgy

Figgy Posting Addict

HW100, Daystate, AA 510 ultra, shame you don't like a Bullpup a Wildcat can be had for your budget.
    Zbroia Hortizia

foxtrott likes this.
  3. trumpetier

trumpetier Very Active

HW100, AA S510, bsa Ultra /Scorpion, AA S410 ;)

4. Keylo

Keylo Well-Known Member

A tin of QYS streamline pellets says you get loads of AA recommendations, then classy German engineering, a handful of Turkish and East European rifles, one Spanish and no Chinese bargain recommendations.
    At least with your budget you probably won't be told secondhand AA's.
    Go to a shop and shoulder at least or go to a club and meet the guys with lots of options to try, you will find a very friendly and generous crew at most clubs who are happy to lend you their rifles, and at that budget you can have a choice of really good new guns but it all comes down to how the hold is for you.
    Good hunting for your new rifle.
    My bias would go PCP but this won't stand for long if Rabbitwrecker reads you post.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 9:25 PM
    The oil man and Ramsay like this.
  5. mikeyhall1

mikeyhall1 2018 & 2019 Forum Nice Guy

6. rich79

rich79 Lovin the smell of cordite in the morning

The usual suspects above, also a Daystate Huntsman, second Wolverine type C.

7. thumbhole

thumbhole Posting Addict

Buy a decent rapid, was all that was needed years ago and not much changed now. :thumb:

The Robin, danban, Popgun and 2 others like this.
  8. Redcap 114

Redcap 114 Donator (Les)

Best New Member 2019. From Leigh-on-Sea Essex.
    HW 100T all the way.

Regards.
    Les.

Herbie87 and Marky-Boy like this.
  9. Figgy

Figgy Posting Addict

Getting a good Rapid isn't as easy as getting a good. AA510 or HW100.
    Agree good guns if sorted.
    Save a bit and buy a RAW the modern Rapid.

foxtrott likes this.
  10. Herbie87

Herbie87 Posting Addict

HW100K with some change for a nice custom stock :thumb:

11. BallisticBill

BallisticBill Posting Addict

S510 Ultimate Sporter plus a decent scope. Forget the HW100 if you are not into maintenance.

12. Herbie87

Herbie87 Posting Addict

The only thing that needs maintenance with a HW100 is the users attention span. It can get boring printing pellet on pellet groups :D

13. Halinfax

Halinfax Full time tinkerer....

R10 SE Super carbine... in a breath...

14. sharpsman

sharpsman Keyboard Hero

it is if you know what you are looking for and a lot easier to put rite in most cases

thumbhole likes this.
  15. pjgtech

pjgtech How many days till Xmas?

16. pelletpunk

pelletpunk Member

Thank you guy's I'm liking the AAS510 ultimate sporter so will give it some thought, I'm not keen to renew my shotgun cert for them to sit in the cabinet another 5 years might as well get the enjoyment of a better air rifle.
    Thanks again

Oat and Herbie87 like this.
  17. robs5230

robs5230 леший

What you'll find is that most will recommend the rifle they own. And why wouldn't they? No one likes to admit they've bought a duffer.

My advice is choose carefully. What some like, may not suit you.
    SHoulder some and see whether the fit and length are what you need out of a rifle.
    Your budget puts you in a bracket where you can afford most rifles, if you're prepared to explore the used market.

18. Ramsay

Ramsay Engaging Member

That's excellent advice..take your time, borrow some guns, shoot some tins before you settle on one...it's a lot like marriage.
    PCP's are more like wives than mates, they require more attention, more accessories or should I say more expensive accessories..
    ..they're much more sensitive.... but if you match their needs you'll be so rewarded!!

I work hard and I manage to get by...but I don't have the financial resources to make too many mistakes.
    I spent so many saturday mornings at the local RFD looking and trying them all... hours upon hours reading reviews and studying prices and so on..
    It took me several years to save up to the gun I now own.. our Honeymoon started September last year, and I'm still in love!

Air is almost as expensive a the gun.. a dive cylinder is almost a necessity, even if you have invested in a compressor...I'd recommend you stay away from pumps.
    So one way or another... a decent air source will put you back £250-300
    Compared to springs and shotguns, the prescission that a good PCP can achieve is ridiculous.. so you'll want to put a decent scope on it....that can be anywhere from £100 - £ ???
    don't forget your mounts.. another £ 30 - 80
    If you enjoy Ratting, you'll probably put a moderator on the end, that doesn't have to break the bank £25-50... and mods really do make a big difference to the sound on PCP's.
    If you enjoy plinking, you'll need some extra magazines... I have five, but I'm going to buy a few more.. I have to put air in my gun for every 60 shots, so 6 x 10 shot mag means I'm taking a break when recharging the cylinder and reloading mags.
    A good plinking session for me, can easily end up shooting several hundred shots, so having the extra mags is a pleasure...the same will apply for ratting.. you don't want be thumbling around with pellets in the dark.. ( £5 - 30 per mag)
    Once you have your gun, scope, mod, mags, air and pellets you're going to need something to put them in..a decent bag or case... £50+
    So how much power is your new PCP putting out.. Ummm.. hopefully not more than 11.99 fpe...a Chronograph should be an tool you have access to...buy... £25 - £150 + if you buy your own.

Si!t what's left for the gun itself... Ah like any good budget you have to break it before it's fun..
    I had about a £900 to spend.. I still don't have a bipod, I'd love some NV accessories or scope... I'm also saving for a larger dive bottle, the 4 ltr is ok...but I want a 12-15 ltr.
    On my wish list is still a chrono... I borrow a n FX chrono, but I'd like to have my own.

My point is, it's no good having a race car without wheels...

I chose a HW 110 after long, long consideration.... and I have no regrets.

Hope you have fun choosing..Good luck

Tim_B, Regal Man, foxtrott and 2 others like this.
  19. CJD

CJD Busy Member

If you like the styling of a proper rifle, then for the budget you have, I say Daystate Regal.
    Beautiful looking rifle that shoots well too.

foxtrott, pelletpunk and Shaunj like this.
  20. Mike.lewis

Mike.lewis Donator

You will have a long time to save up... There's none coming in to the country this year. I bought the last one from tawnadoairguns last month

thumbhole likes this.