1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question Which One Is Better? Higher Velocity Or Heavier Pellet?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by goldshooter, Jun 12, 2019.

1. goldshooter

goldshooter Member

For medium range hunting (up to 30 yards), which one is better a higher velocity pellet or a heavier pellet?

for example, you can use Gamo lethal .177 pellet (the weight is about 5.8 grain) and achieves about 1000 fps using a break barrel rifle. or using a heavier pellet such as Gamo Rocket (9.6 grain) and get about 800 fps. Which one is more lethal from 30 yards?

PS: gamo lethal is made of plastic with brass tip and the pellet is longer than most lead pellets.

2. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

Don't know where you are based or if you are a FAC holder, but both of the figures you quote are over 12 ftlb, so you are potentially running an illegal set up.

Blister and robs5230 like this.
  3. milek

milek Honorary Member

Whichever is the most accurate

Patrick, Bruno27, Geezer and 4 others like this.
  4. goldshooter

goldshooter Member

those are not real numbers. only for you to understand my question. BTW I have a 9.5 fpe break barrel.

5. robs5230

robs5230 If it's a springer, it will be oversprung

The figures you're quoting (if you're in the uk) sound like manufacturers claims.
    Seems like its a Gamo rifle and they are Gamo's recommendations on pellet choices.

Velocity is key to a point in my opinion but in .177 I reckon the max velocity you'd want shouldn't exceed 850fps (regardless of weight).

I wouldn't use either of those pellets.

But, the most lethal pellet is the one with which you can consistently deliver a shot on point of aim.

6. robs5230

I use 7.87 pellets at around 787 fps which I feel give me the best possible combination of flat trajectory and energy transfer. This translates to very instantaneous kills for me.

7. Tim_B

Tim_B Very Active

I'll take accuracy over anything else.

Rikki1984, Bruno27, Geezer and 3 others like this.
  8. carnivore

carnivore Big Poster

The smaller pellet travelling very fast risks overpenetration, not a problem if you hit the brain but a miss could pass through without much effect and your target gets away wounded. The larger is likely to have a shock effect which even in a poorly placed shot could stun/shock your quarry down for you to quickly approach and finish.
    As has been said, the most accurate is the most potent.

9. goldshooter

goldshooter Member

You guys talk about accuracy is the king. is there a specific range of velocity that makes a pellet more accurate?

10. TonyB55

TonyB55 Engaging Member

You need around 4ftlbs to kill a rabbit. Accuracy is the key, a 6ftlb rifle will be lethal if the shot placement is correct. Why all this focus on power?

11. robs5230

There will be a point at which even a very quick moving pellet will not over penetrate.
    Obviously dependent on the quarry type / mass / construction, pellet design and weight.
    Getting that balance right is key to make the most of energy transfer into the target.

12. robs5230

I'd say no but there would be a velocity at which stability would effect accuracy. Pellet design would also have an impact on that limit.

I've shot a 6ftlb target rifle out to 50 yards with very good accuracy. That was about 600 fps with a 7.87g diablo pellet.
    I run my springers at around 10.5ftlbs with a 7.87 pellet with very good effect in the field.
    There will be a point at around 850-900 FPS that even a well designed .177 diablo pellet becomes unstable in flight and hence inaccurate.

The reality is that any calibre makes an effecting hunting pellet. Most choose one over another.
    There are advantages and disadvantages in all of them.
    Smaller calibre - lighter weight but flatter trajectory, less air time to target
    Larger calibre - increased weight but loopier trajectory and slower to get to target.

13. thumbhole

thumbhole Post Whore

Make sure you can shoot accurately, before you worry about pellet speed and weight, because if you can not hit a barn door your wasting your time. 5p groups at 30 yards is more important than pellet speed, forget anything with penetrator, or lethal in the title a good domed head from the likes of AA or JSB in any weight is Lethal in any thing I hunt with. Focus on your skill to group consistently with a good pellet. Welcome to the Forum power questions with so little posts don't do very well. :thumb:

14. RagnarHairybreeks

RagnarHairybreeks Keyboard Hero

Work done by a projectile (ie energy dumped into the target) is calculated as 1/2 mass times velocity squared, so velocity has a significantly disproportionate affect compared to mass which only affects the total linearly.

However force = mass times acceleration (or in this case deceleration), f=m(dv/dt) so you need the pellet to stop very hard. Think about how much more it hurts if you walk into a lamp post than fall onto a bed. A small and very fast projectile is liable to zip straight through whatever you are trying to move to the next life taking most of its energy with it. A big, slow moving projectile tends to stop more quickly so dumping its energy like your face into that lamp post.

However a faster projectile will have a flatter trajectory making it far more forgiving over range and so, in the hands of a typical shooter, more likely to land exactly where you want it to. When hunting, a shot through the cranium is pretty much always instantly fatal on all legal prey species.

However unless you are carrying an fac you have to fit all of the above inside of 12 ft/lb.

So. Not a simple question to answer.

I am however fairly sure that you are shilling for Gamo pellets (which I wouldn't touch with a really long one) so you probably aren't interested in my answer anyway.

hamza likes this.
  15. RichieRich

RichieRich Kozak Advocate

Velocity does not make a pellet more accurate, so ignore the marketing figures. Only the pellet and the barrel has any bearing on how accurate it is.

Some gun barrels will like a particular variety of pellet, and others won't.

The key to accuracy is testing various types of pellets from different brands until you find the right one that gives you the tightest grouping and consistent results every time. This is your preferred pellet.

See if you can get hold of a few tester packs and record your results :thumb:

16. robs5230

Interested in those calculations but not very arithmetical.
    Could you give an example of a 7.87 and an 8.44 both travelling at 787fps and explain the results ?
    Cheers

RagnarHairybreeks likes this.
  17. shergar

shergar Busy Member

Irrespective of weight some pellets leave the rifle with more energy than others. Find a range of pellets that allow gun to produce at least 90% of its potential and from that range choose the ones that group best

18. shergar

shergar Busy Member

Divide velocity, 787, by 671 equals 1.173 square this number equals 1.375 multiply this by weight of pellet in grains gives energy in fpe.
    In above case 10.8 and 11.6
    671 is the figure to remember this works with all velocity and weight of pellet and is a simple calculation.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    RagnarHairybreeks likes this.
  19. goldshooter

goldshooter Member

I've heard if a pellet goes above 900 fps especially the smaller ones (such as RWS superdome or JSB exact), it becomes unstable and thus making it inaccurate....is that true?

BTW, I have liked RWS superpoint to shoot small games.

20. rich79

rich79 Donator

A rabbits brain won't argue over a few ft/s.

Steve D and thumbhole like this.