1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Which night vision

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by ultra22, Jan 19, 2014.

1. ultra22

ultra22 Engaging Member

Hi Guys,
    i am toying about investing in a night vision scope for use on one of my air rifles. Just wondering what you might recommend, obviously i want to spend as little as possible but first and foremost it must be up to the job and quality counts.

2. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

have a look at a Photon, if, like me you are not up to making your own. I don't even understand the words they use when discussing making one!
    At the moment I have an old Russian unit, but it is very poor on depth of field and there is virtually no sense of perspective with it, so judging range is difficult. I use it for rats and only know the range from where the rats are, not through judging it through the scope.On strange ground it would be difficult. I am thinking of a Photon, but I do think there are going to be leaps forward this year, so I am making do at the moment.

3. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

Night vision scope or night vision add on? I have a Night Eye NE500. That is superb, fantastic picture quality, light battery, easy to put on and take off, converts my dayscope into a night vision unit in under 5 minutes (including getting camera aligned). Has a colour screen and video out so if you want to make daytime hunting videos you can too!

Cost? under £420!

4. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I would suggest that you visit the shooting show next month as there will be a load of nv stuff to look at and compare in the flesh. There are new units coming out all the time, it's abit like computers and phones but at some point you just have to open your wallet and do the deed.
    You can build a unit yourself for about £100 which would cost 4-5x as much to buy off the shelf for similar performance and it's a simple process if you can follow simple instructions and have basic diy skills. Most of the bits just plug together, the only part where you need to think about it is mounting the camera to the back of the scope - this has been done in quite a few different ways and is quite easy.

5. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

The toruble with add ons, the ones I have seen OTHER than the Arrow (just far too expensive for mere rat shooting) is that looking at a screen and shooting by lining up a picture of the cross hair with a picture of the target - is like using a compact camera at arms length and trying to take a photograph using the screen to compose. You can do it, but it isn't ideal. Shooting the same way is not for me thanks - I like to look through the eyepiece in a proper manner with my head on the comb, not stuck in the air looking at a TV screen. THIS is what has put me off the add-ons and why I would much rather have the dedicated NV outfit, of a seperate rifle and a proper night vision scope. I know my current scope is old fashioned, heavy, has its picture quality issues and whites out if the target is too close - but it works to a point.

I too am awaiting the provision of a better quality version along the lines of the Photon - I nearly went for one of those, but then saw so many back up for sale just a few weeks old I wondered what the problems were and held off. Those problems will surely be addressed and the next version will probably be more than adequate, unless it has the same depth of field issues my current one has - my only gripe with it really.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It could be more compact and lighter, but I can live with the weight and bulk, for a couple of years anyway.

6. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Unfortunately reduced depth of field is an inherent problem with night vision scopes, big fast lenses are needed and this means little depth of field. An add on does reduce this problem as the camera is focussed onto the reticle and then you can focus the target on the scope itself.
    I have a photon and I don't have any real problems with focussing unless I change from very close range to long range which is not something I would normally do.
    Shooting using a screen is really no stranger than peering through a tube, you just have to get used to it. One significant benefit is that there will be no parallax errors and you can view the screen from any position or angle and have no issues.
    I find that the screen can be too bright although most have a facility to set the brightness, if that's not enough a sheet of tinting film over the screen will solve the problem.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  7. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, everyone wants to spend as little as possible but sometimes you can justify that bit extra, if you want to go cheap a good red torch like a 501b cree change the lens to an aspheric and black out reflector £20, something more powerfull £20 to £50, you could make a DIY n/v attatch to scope kit about £100 as terry mentioned, there are ones like pitch black on best fittings web site factory produced which i think are £350, or a yukon/photon dedicated n/v £400 and a very good bit of kit, which can be improved. you can get some n/v scopes s/h say off ebay or here but need think warranty. if you are the techy type for diy i would build your own, lots of help and whats required on here. good luck

8. ultra22

ultra22 Engaging Member

Thanks guys, i have actually been thinking of the yukon photon at £395 but like other people i am struggling to understand all the tech details. Has anyone here got one or used one and if so would you recommend it?

9. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

Yes, I have one and I'm pleased with it. You really need to look at it as a night vision scope which can be used in daylight if you need to so it's best to have a rifle dedicated to the Photon. In daylight it's still a black and white image. It has no multiple aim points but the elevation turret is hand adjustable. Everyboby I've heard from about these reckons that a led torch is better than the built in laser and I totally agree. Also it is only 5x magnificaton which some people may think is not enough - it's fine for me.
    I have fitted a pair of flip up covers, the rear one is amber to cut down on the brightness and the front has a small hole with a dark red filter which makes it much better for daylight use. They don't need much ir even on the darkest night.

10. ultra22

ultra22 Engaging Member

Brilliant, thank you for that input :up:

John

11. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

ns50's are really good imo, gives you the flexibility of using them on any rifle. i was going to buy a photon, but decided against as the ns50 and similar add ons are easy and quick to set up and work well out to beyond air rifle ranges (more than 50yards for sure with the ns50)

the screen position hasn't caused any problems with me yet.

12. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

I was the same at first really did not like the screen. But now I am used to them I find they work better than a held to the eye scope but not as nice to shoot with.

When shooting from a car you have no need to get your eye to the scope or the gun in your shoulder if you have a screen and a door rest, meaning far greater arc of fire is possible.

When walking you can have the gun at waist level with all the weight on a sling and scan as you would with a gun that had a lamp fitted. No need to keep putting the gun in your shoulder to scan.

When high seat shooting etc, you can replace the screen with a pair of video goggles. Meaning you can scan off of your gun rest with not as much movement as putting your gun to your eye constantly needs.
    As you say it just feels wrong. But it can be very effective once you are used to a screen.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  13. mikey

mikey Pro Poster

Dave goodhall has a Yukon in the sales section and a nice chap to deal with