1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Which New Springer? Currently Looking Into Bsa Meteor Evo - Hw30 - Hw50

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by tugashooter, Aug 18, 2021.

?

Which rifle

1. BSA Meteor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. HW30 S

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. HW50 S

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Other

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. tugashooter

tugashooter Well-Known Member

Hi all,

After several years without shooting I'm looking to purchase a new springer in .177 :) and would appreciate any feedback.

Only looking to do some backyard plinking and the occasional vermin control (this is a must).
    I don't like synthetic stock.
    Not being too loud would also be a nice to have as I don't want to disturb the neighbours much.
    I will use open sights as I usually shoot between 10 to 20meters.
    I believe there must be some identification between the rifle and the owner and personally I identify myself with BSA and Weihrauch brands and particulary the 3 rifles below.
    As a last note I expect it to maintain it in good condition for life so being a bit of collector piece is also nice.

BSA Meteor Evo 24J - 164€
    Weihrauch HW30 S 7.5J - 235€
    Weihrauch HW50 S 16J - 280€

My current point of view on these 3 is as follows:

BSA Meteor Evo:
    I had a really good experience with a BSA Superport in the past and that fact makes me credit this rifle. However I understand the Meteor might be a bit behind the Supersport build.
    The fact that this rifle is a full power 24J (our legal limit) is bittersweet, I reckon the full power being very handy to take out some vermin (which is a must for me) but it might also be just too much for the build of this rifle taking some reliability overtime and perhabs noisy (although there is a silentium model?). I for sure prefer the open sights design on this rifle over the HW and being the cheaper of the 3 is of course very welcome!

Weihrauch HW30 S
    Nicely built, it is the lighter of the 3 and easy to overall handling and shoot. Being a Junior rifle size is not that bad for me as I'm only 1.70m/65kg. Would also probably be nice for juniors in the family to enjoy the occasional plinking shots.
    The only negative remark I have for this rifle is however the low power, this concerns me for perhabs not being able to take out the occasional big rat when needed and this is really a must for me.

Weihrauch HW50 S
    I see this as a bigger HW30, sharing the main features such as build and nice aesthetics. It does loose some of the junior features that I like but of course jumps to 16J which I guess must be ok for pest control.
    However it is the most expensive of the three (70% more compared to the BSA, so it would really need to justify it).

Summary:
    At the moment I see the HW30 as perhaps low power, and then wondering if the HW50 is actually worth 70% more over BSA Meteor which seems a really nice candidate for the price.

Would like to read some opinions before I make my purchase.
    Thanks!

rabbitwrecker and Chouchin66 like this.
  2. Chouchin66

Chouchin66 Top Poster

Discount the BSA...
    The 30s & 50s are both great rifles...
    & don't worry, should you choose the 30s, it has plenty power to dispatch rats, rabbits etc.

3. rabbitwrecker

rabbitwrecker Black Latex Matters...

:welcome:

Avoid the Meteor like the plague. The 30s has more than enough to take out a big rat - it's also easy to shoot accurately, which is far more import than raw power... :thumb:

mutley, Rat reaper, Reevo17 and 5 others like this.
  4. paj

paj Posting Addict

I am sure that you will definitely see why there is a price difference if you try them and it's usually worth the extra at this end of the market. IMHO both the HW's are decent quality rifles and you shouldn't be disappointed. I don't have direct experience of the new Meteor but I wouldn't risk it against either of the others, and I am a fan of the classic BSA's.

5. Blue BSA

Blue BSA Very Active

6. Beetlecrusher

Beetlecrusher Posting Addict

Years ago, the hw30 Was my go to vermin control rifle, simple/light/accurate, I only stopped using one when I went over to pcp rifles for convenience of quick multi shot. I still grab a springer for in garden rat problems, pcp is used for my permissions. .177 for garden ratting and plinking, .22 pcp for everything else.

7. Alexall

Alexall U-Div Gun Protectors

I went through the same experience as you and wanted a Meteor again to relive fond childhood memories. I bought the Evo when I restarted shooting shoot 2 years ago. Trust me, it is only the same by name. There was nothing left of the original Meteor spirit. The metalwork very poor, rough and shoots badly. I can't emphasis enough, and on top of that, it has grown in dimensions. As a grown up now, it is bigger for me now than when I was a kid. So unrefined I can relate it to Far East products. This gun was the shortest live gun I that I ever owned 2 weeks.

If you want that original feel, go for a vintage Meteor. There are plenty around and you can pick one up on the lower end of your listed guns. I went for the vintage Supersport instead. Exceptional and I've kept them all.

The 2 Weihrauchs are fantastic guns. I have several. Both will despatch quarry and the 30 is much easier to you with daily. Don't underestimate power over shot accurate placement.

Side by side, they are all a joy to own in their own right.

8. rich79

rich79 No deep or funny comment here

10-20 meters! HW30 should be enough, plus it's easier on the arm during extended plinking afternoons, possibly quieter than the others too.

9. That hurts

That hurts Barely Active

HW30 all day ... avoid the BSA as they are 'merda' :thumb:

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  10. landymick

landymick Very Active

If cost is a big concern then go for the 50S , I would go for the 95 to make full use of your limit but this wouldn’t be the best for back yard plinking regarding power & noise .
    Both the 30 & 50 are are good but not without a couple of niggles. I’d go 50 over 30 for the extra power & better barrel lockup & the 50 & 30 over the BSA just for the Rekord trigger.:)

tugashooter and rabbitwrecker like this.
  11. bflat7

bflat7 Busy Member

consider the hw 57,light and dead accurate !

rabbitwrecker likes this.
  12. Reevo17

Reevo17 Group therapy

HW30S - even being 6ft7 it fitted me nicely

easy to shoot and mine took many rats at 20 yards.

Stupidly sold it (them) but have an itch for another with a red dot :)

rabbitwrecker and tugashooter like this.
  13. Grey Man

Grey Man Big Poster

Underlever ... and if iron sights are a must ... it has to be an HW77.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  14. ajohn

ajohn Chewing Things Over

My Meteor EVO experience was bad in one respect - power well under what it aught to be but ft/sec rather consistent. I discount the replacement that an RFD dug out from somewhere as also under power and has a more serious problem - crap barrel. I suspect it was a return. This is 16J though.

Going on their web comments a Supersport may be a totally different animal. Only way to be sure it to buy and try.

I don't really mind that they shake about when shot. The Meteor very definitely does and the replacement is worse.

HW's. The record trigger is good and power here may turn out to be a little high at times with certain pellets. So I would say the 50, even buying here actually as it comes with the front sight inserts. Our 99 doesn't.

The other HW's pass. I suspect I would think the underlever is heavier than needed. I've had bad experiences with the 57. The pellet tap is good but having to be sure it's returned to the correct place where it aligns with the barrel is totally crap and may be why they are not popular. I know they can give ~16j here.

tugashooter likes this.
  15. Travis299

Travis299 Engaging Member

My suggestion is the HW95L.

[​IMG]

JohnnyVk, tugashooter and landymick like this.
  16. tugashooter

tugashooter Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for the replies!
    Based on your overall positive experience with the HW30S and feedback that power is enough for vermin killing I'm now inclined in purchasing this one as that was basically the only concern I had about the gun.
    Other than that it seems to fit better with the intended use I predict to give to an airgun at the moment.

I wrote on my inital post that the gun had 7.5J, but I see some website mentioning 10J so I'm actually not sure at the moment how much power it will have. Will try to clarify that with the seller.
    It's currently out of stock where I intended to purchase from but as soon as I have it I'll share a picture here.

17. Chouchin66

Chouchin66 Top Poster

7.5 joule will be the German version, 10 joules is standard output...great choice, I know you'll enjoy it buddy

Reevo17, rabbitwrecker and Geezer like this.
  18. Geezer

Geezer Big Poster

I was about to say something similar.

I believe that they can be successfully taken to about 8-9 ft-lbs with a bit of basic tuning. Which is around 11-12 of the OPs continental joules.

rabbitwrecker and Chouchin66 like this.
  19. Chouchin66

Chouchin66 Top Poster

With a Vortek kit & a polish up , my .177 runs quite happily a 8 ft-lbs.

Byronic and rabbitwrecker like this.
  20. Lukeypoodle

Lukeypoodle Posting Addict

I''m guessing weight is a factor, with a 24j limit I'd be going HW80 if not.