1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Question Which First Spring Rifle On A Budget?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Glockwomble, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Glockwomble

Glockwomble Glock Loving Cockwomble

Hi all,

My younger brother has been helping mum keep the rat population down using an old Ratcatcher, which to be honest has seen better days.

Its now been a few weeks and he's still really keen so he's asked if he can have his own rifle (to be used under mums or my supervision only and locked away with our guns when not in use).

Now here's the issue, he's only got about £140 to spend. The rifles he has shown interest in online browsing are the Hammerli Black Force 800, a Kral and a Webley VMX.

I haven't bought a budget spring gun in some time now or fired one for that matter so i'm not sure what to advise him.

Also he's not within close distance of any decent RFD's so cant try before buying in the shop.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

2. timmytree

timmytree Top Poster

For that kind of money the best bet is a Hatsan 55s or 60s. If you can do a quick strip deburr and relube they can be made into a decent little rifle.
    Most of the other stuff in that price range is rubbish.

3. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

hello, if weight is not a problem then timmys suggestion is ok and change for a tinbums tune kit or a silencer, a bit extra money the HW30S with a silencer, there is always scopes for sale s/h on here. in no near RFD look for your nearest air rifle range they might have something suitable

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  4. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    hatsan mod 55s (.177) or the identical 60s (.22) - same rifles, different calibres
    best rifles going for the money mate

5. Johnniepk

Johnniepk Member

There's a HW99 with open sights on the WOC at the moment for £165,not mine btw.j

6. jamez81

jamez81 Engaging Member

99s is a great rifle my 13 year old lad uses mine no probs.
    Full power and quality build,nice and short for ratting, I would say to try and get one with the updated cocking mod.

7. vitalich

vitalich Keyboard Hero

You can get scoped base lightning in good Nick for that cash

8. mattyts

mattyts Donator

HW99S,Hatsan 55S,Remington Express,in that order,all are decent guns,especially the 99 if you sort the galling issue.

Please,whatever you do,don't get a Spanish made Lightning even if someone pays you to take it :p brummie ones are alright though.

9. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I must get around to doing this with my Hatsan 60s. I haven't touched it since brand new over a month ago. They can be a little "creaky" now and then when cocking etc as some have pointed out as there is a lack of lubrication when new. I find it very accurate etc straight out of the factory, but I will want a "kit" on it etc soon as most seem to highly recommend it. Problem is, I don't think I would like to "fettle" with it myself. Do RFD's that sell kits, (I'm thinking Welsh Willy at Woodfield-GCP) install them/service/lube for you for a price obviously?

EDIT: To the OP, check out this recently posted thread all about the Hatsan 60's .22 if you want to know a lot more about it. The 55s is the same except it's the .177 version of the same rifle of course.

Highly recommended by myself and loads of others as the ONLY budget springer worth buying for what you get etc. That 2 stage Quattro trigger is amazing! Don't know how Hatsan Arms do it all for the money, but I'm sure glad they do :)

http://www.airgunforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/185978-Hatsan-60s-first-impressions

Andy :)

10. stevemandm

yes andy, welsh willy not only supplies the spring kits, but also fits them. one word of warning tho, he is v v busy !(a victim of his own success). if you think that the rifle is good now, once a ww kit is fitted (titan spring and good quality lube and spacers/washers) it gets even better. why not call him up, or pm him on here, he's a forum member. he's a v nice bloke, as well as knowing his job, and if you organise it beforehand, i bet he will fit it for you while you wait. its the only upgrade that i would recommend, as the trigger is that good, i would leave it alone. the ww spring kit makes the rifle much better to shoot, as theres much less recoil, its quieter and more consistant powerwise, all adding up to increased accuracy

11. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

Thanks for the info Steve. I can take it there myself as I am not too far from him :D.

12. stevemandm

if you take it to him andy, say hello from me - i've talked to him several times over the phone, and he may remember the kit he sent us, it was for matty's birthday last year

13. Andy Wales

Andy Wales Donator

I will say hello from you no problem. Maybe one day you and Matty will visit South Wales and pick up a few "bits" off him while you're down here :D. I have been to Wakefield many times when I was an HGV Class 1 driver and I always found people I delivered steel to anywhere in Yorkshire to be the nicest of people :). My favourite drop ever was always at Stelrad in Mexborough, South Yorks. Quick unload, great cheap canteen and a big safe park right outside for a night out in the cab.......Ahhhh, those were the days :). The country around there looked good for shooting too, but in those times I never even gave it a thought :rolleyes:. Seems like another lifetime ago now.

14. stevemandm

yeah, wakey's not a bad place andy. will be sure to call in if ever we're down your way mate. in the meantime, keep an eye on the 2015 forum meet thread - if it comes off, it would be great for you to join us - maybe a few of you could club together and share cars - there's a few from your way intending coming up

15. Patrick

Patrick Donator

For £140 and if you want a new gun then the Hatsan 55s or 60s is the best buy,it's well made,rugged and has a very good trigger.The Remington at about £160 has got some good reviews and it comes with a scope but it has a long reach to the trigger so probably wouldn't suit a youngster.The Hatsan is fairly weighty but would suit a youngster more due to its shorter trigger reach but it does have a strong barrel lock up,especially when new but it does ease with use and some lubricant applied.I'm only 5'6" but find the Hatsan suits me fine.The Weihrauch 99s is a good gun apart from the galling issue( the cocking arm scraping on the cylinder) which still seems to bedevil this rifle and you'd have to buy a secondhand one at that sought of money which could mean it's still got that problem.Like most new springers which usually come with virtually no lube inside you can remedy this quite a bit by removing the action from the stock and introducing a couple of drops of lubricant to the inside of the cylinder and a bit of grease to the spring through the cocking slot if you didn't want to completely strip the gun this will make it smoother but mind you don't loose any of the pins from the trigger mechanism when you remove the stock.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014