1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Where to Shoot?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Cambs_Shotter, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Cambs_Shotter

Cambs_Shotter Member

Heyy peoples. Im new here. and fairly new to the air gun hobby.

I have owned a few air guns before, but only little springer pistols etc

I live in Littleport, Cambs

and really want to get into the hobby properly..
    I have always had a passion for guns, as i grew up with guns, gun dogs etc
    My father owns 4 shotguns, a rifle and a few pistols..

Unfortunately i cannot get a Firearms certificate due to having a criminal record, But i like airguns too,

So, getting into the hobby.. I will be buying my first gun, hopefully within the next couple of weeks or so..

But i have a few questions, and most probably will do within the forseable future :D
    Id like to take good advantage of your knowledge..

But back on to topic..

Is there anywhere to shoot in Cambridgeshire??? Prefrably local to Littleport.. The closer the better..

2nd question, which ties into the first question..
    Motorbikes!!!! I own a motorbike, and it is the only form of transport that i own...
    Is there any legal issues with transporting my air rifle while travelling backwards and forwards to a place of shooting??

3rd question.. Although i will be starting off with shooting tin cans and targets in my garden, to improve my skills and accuracy.. I understand the laws about where is fine to shoot, and distances between roads etc..
    But when it comes to vermin... Is it fine to shoot them within your back garden? If so.. What is allowed to be shot???

I live in a privately rented house, my landlady is my neighbour.. and she does not care what i do in the gardenn
    (she even gave me permission to dig the garden up and build a mini motocross track for my son) :D

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  2. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

:welcome: to the forum, someone will be along soon to answer your questions.

3. Harwich Shooter

Harwich Shooter Donator

A warm welcome to the forum. Nice friendly helpful bunch on here.

The best place to start would be to read the stickies on where to and how to gain shooting permissions. Make a nice cup of coffee and settle down to read. It will take a while but will be worth it. Also join BASC (or similar) to get insurance and to read up on what you can shoot and where.

As far as transporting your rifle on your motorbike. No problem as long as it is unloaded and in a bag. I would not use a gunbag in this instance but a fishing rod holdall.
    Folks are more likely to be happier if they think you are off fishing rather than looking at a gunbag slung over your shoulder.

A criminal record is OK regarding airgun ownership but serving a long custodial sentence would be a problem. Do a search for the precise limitations on this.

4. Cambs_Shotter

Cambs_Shotter Member

Hi there and thanks for your reply..

Yeah i was thinking about placing the gun in an bag that hides what it actually is.. Perhaps like a padded gun bag to protect the gun, and then that bag in a different style bag.. :D

And with regards to the criminal record... I have served a custodial sentence, Last year.. But it wasnt long.. less than 6 months..
    Maybe i should perhaps ring my local police station and find out exactly where i stand on this, just to be on the safe side...

I did take some time to read up on some of the stickies available on the forum, and i am finding them to be very useful so far :D

Thankyou

5. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

If your sentence was for over 6 months, regardless of how long you actually served you cannot, by law, own or be in possession of a firearm, including an air rifle or air pistol for 5 years after the date you were released from custody. Sorry old chap!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
  6. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Section 21 - Police & Clubs are very tight on this - Check with Police or Court - Aware that offenders are advised if Section 21 Restricted

BOB/R

7. secretagentmole

8. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

9. secretagentmole

Some rum beggars down Littleport!

(Ex Sutton boy here)

10. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

"(2)A person who has been sentenced . . .

to imprisonment for a term of three months or more but less than three years [or to youth custody [or detention in a young offender institution] for such a term], or who has been sentenced to be detained for such a term in a detention centre or in a young offenders institution in Scotland [or who has been subject to a secure training order [or a detention and training order]], shall not at any time before the expiration of the period of five years from the date of his release have a firearm or ammunition in his possession"

Sorry, OP, but I'm afraid you fall into this category, so it would be an offence for you to possess an air rifle, which despite not using a chemical propellant, is classed as a firearm.

11. Cambs_Shotter

Cambs_Shotter Member

i got sentenced to 2 months, and did 28 days in custody... So i should be fine???

12. Barcelona68

Barcelona68 Banned

Nope you have a 5 year ban from all firearms including air rifles/pistols.

Sorry dude.

13. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

Hows that work, Jackroadkill posted a section saying that three months min gives you five year ban ?
    "(2)A person who has been sentenced . . .

to imprisonment for a term of three months or more but less than three years

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  14. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

If it's less than 3 years it's a 5 year ban if it's over 3 years it's a life ban

15. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

"Firearms act"
    (1)A person who has been sentenced [F1to custody for life or] to preventive detention, or to imprisonment or to corrective training for a term of three years or more [F1or to youth custody [F2or detention in a young offender institution] for such a term], or who has been sentenced be detained for such a term in a young offenders institution in Scotland, shall not at any time have a firearm or ammunition in his possession.

(2)A person who has been sentenced . . . F3 to imprisonment for a term of three months or more but less than three years [F4or to youth custody [F5or detention in a young offender institution] for such a term], or who has been sentenced to be detained for such a term in a detention centre or in a young offenders institution in Scotland [F6or who has been subject to a secure training order [F7or a detention and training order]], shall not at any time before the expiration of the period of five years from the date of his release have a firearm or ammunition in his possession.

[F8(2A)For the purposes of subsection (2) above, “the date of his release” means—

(a)in the case of a person sentenced to imprisonment with an order under section 47(1) of the Criminal Law Act 1977 (prison sentence partly served and partly suspended), the date on which he completes service of so much of the sentence as was by that order required to be served in prison

"The guidance"
    General prohibitions
    5.5 Persons prohibited under section 21 of the 1968 Act (see paragraph 12.4 for its terms) may not possess any firearms or ammunition, not just those for which a certificate is required. Thus the prohibition extends to all air weapons, air gun pellets and shot gun ammunition.

That's the full text incase thats what you were looking for ?
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  16. secretagentmole

Should be fine, but check with the local police, the station in Ely will be able to advise you!

17. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

Thats not what it says in the link from Jackroadkill.

18. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

Thats how i read it, but Barcelona and meteor says different.

19. Meteor62

Meteor62 Major Poster

One of us is getting confused here. The way I read what he put, backs up what I say.

20. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

Possibly, i read it as '3 months and over, up to 3 years' gives you a 5 year ban.