1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Where to buy 2nd hand - apart from here obviously!

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jesim1, Feb 5, 2014.

1. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

I've been looking to buy another couple of rifles of a lighter nature for my wife and son and sell my Daystate MK4 lately to help fund this, and it's difficult to find the right place to buy, or even see, what's on offer in the 2nd hand market. I've looked at Guntrader, *******, Freeads, Gunmart and a couple of other forums as well as this one, but is there something I'm missing?

If you use Google or similar then half the links are out of date, broken, or not actually for what you searched for, so it's a pain, and the couple of dealers close by only update their sites or change their stock at a fairly slow rate, so it's pretty much the same week in week out.

So where else apart from the above do you use to buy and sell?

Thanks

James

2. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Check out Local Air Gun Clubs - Most have a For Sale Table

Where Users can sell on unrequired Gear

Getting better prices than trade offer plus the chance to check them out on Club Ranges

BOB/R

3. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

gunseeker, john knibbs airgun spares, erifle, facebook air rifles/fishing gear for sale page (really good place)

4. jesim1

I'm not on face book as I think it causes more fights than it solves, but I had no idea you could sell rifles through it? I thought it would have been prohibited?

Thanks

James

5. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

i dont see why it would be, they allowed videos of war crimes to be shown so selling things cant be as bad.

i bought £300 of theoben parts for £120 off of there. so much stuff goes up for sale on there, alot of it is either cheap or expensive ;)

6. NorfolkDave

NorfolkDave Donator

There's another web site set up recently offering free ads til march. I can't find it, any clues?

Dave

7. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

freeads.com ;) or gunseeker is offering cheap advertising

8. 177

177 Donator

Problem is it's a crap shoot out there.

An educated seller will look to realise the highest possible price and sell accordingly.

Buyers usually want to spend as little as they can.

There are bargains out there to be found, but there are also a ton of guns that have been tinkered with.

Have you tried wanted ads in a couple of local newsagent's windows ?

Last time I did that I was swamped by the response from people on my doorstep :)

9. tom_mitchell

tom_mitchell Well-Known Member

This exactly I bought second hand from a gun dealer and it had been fooked about with so much it was just awful hack sawed barrel wrong size moderator... it was just a poo pile. I since learned my lesson and bought brand new instead....

10. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

The problem is the OP does not understand how to google properly.

Type in what you are looking for into google, then you have to go into Search Tools, select UK, select Past Month, then search again!

No use complaining if you don't know what you are doing. This will filter our all the very old adverts and will let you sneak up on bargains on other forums. For instance we joined a falconry forum, just so we could buy a BSA Super 10 for the wife, which turned out to be a rather rare Realtree dipped mark 2, complete with scope, bag and pump!

11. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

i try to avoid buying new! used is the way forward, so much cheaper usually and the majority of problems are cheaper to fix then buying new. i nearly bought a bullpup rapid mk1 but that was running at 20.5ftlb, had a stock which couldn't be removed without taking the bottle off and then unscrewing a psi gauge! easy your saying? no he decided to get a quickfill fitted so you had to empty the bottle first as he removed the standard valve which allows you to just unscrew it. just to add insult to injury he fitted a 600cc bottle ;)

if you know your rifles then buying used has a lot of advantages.

take a chrono! it's been so helpful for many potential purchases iv done

12. ratman60

ratman60 Very Active

hello, i would suggest you put a list of rifles suitable on here and see what comes up, i notice when i am researching a rifle on google or wanted many forum info come up and try mr moles suggestion to. you wont get much lighter than brocock or fx

13. timmaaah

timmaaah Engaging Member

When I was buying gear it was either through here or via the AirGunBBS - be patient, persistent and particular and the right deals will come along :)

14. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

And then straight after that perfect deal comes along and you buy it. A better one comes up the next day, this has happened many times to me. Typical...

15. davymole

davymole Donator

Northop Hall, Mold, Flintshire North Wales
    most forums have for sale sections I have bought two rifles in this way and have had no problems,Face to Face is the ideal way but becare full where you meet up the last thing you want is an armed responce unit arriving or a police helicopter hovering overhead,Just be careful get a valuation on what your buying/selling its all done on trustI think most guys on these forums are heads up to someone trying to scam you good luck dave

16. DirefulSpider07

DirefulSpider07 Engaging Member

Hi, I know 'McAvoy guns' in Standish has a load of second hand guns in stock. I don't know how they compare in price with a new gun but at least you get a bit of a warranty. Also if you're buying 2 guns they'll probably do a good deal for you, they did for me.
    Regards

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  17. Whistler1

Whistler1 Donator

Nice one....i have never even noticed that Searchtools before:eek::up:....

18. jesim1

Thanks - I've sold computers for over 20 years, so I think I can handle a search engine;) I just get fed up with the irrelevant crap when I know there are good guns out there, it's just connecting buyers and sellers that is the hard bit., so just getting back into air guns I thought I'd ask the educated masses!

Thanks

James

19. jesim1

This is a good idea, and I have a few in mind, all in .177:

FX Verminator MK1

Daystate Huntsman/Regal

AA 410 superlite

Now the awkward bit, as they are for my wife and son they will have to try them before we buy, so I'm taking them to the Shooting Show next Friday at Stoneleigh so they can try them before we start making offers. This is important as my wife is left handed and I thought buying an Airwolf would be the right thing to do as it's an excellent gun and ambidextrous, but it's still too big for her, and my MK4 is right handed. The jist of this is I'm selling my MK4 even though I love it, and keeping the Airwolf because I love it too - maybe I should sell the wife? :)

James

20. tomsteebs

tomsteebs Donator

you could always get the rifle that you really like and then get an ambi stock made (about £170 for a custom walnut one)

offset the sale value of the stock you have (buy a right handed one if your going to do this) and it isn't a lot of an investment.

also, quite alot of stocks are right/left handed but actually are basically ambidextrous

tom.