1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Where do i go from here...?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by PaulJC, Apr 28, 2014.

1. PaulJC

PaulJC Well-Known Member

Where to start...

I've had my rifle for a few months now, shot plenty of targets on indoor ranges and keep working on unsupported standing at home (have 10 yards marked out i can shoot in), have got my unsupported standing in to about 2" groups at 20m, not great but getting better and have been to LVAGC a couple of times now and shot on their plinking range, rested i can happily take out the HFT targets at the back of the range repeatedly (about 55 yards i think) once I've worked out how far away they are...

Now i'm not gonna say i'm getting bored with just hitting targets or plinking but i definitely need a bit of variety, my biggest problem here seems to be the fact i work shifts (Days/nights/weekends) and have a littlen that visits every sunday and for the whole weekend on the last weekend of the month, all clubs seem to have set days/weeks for each event or discipline which means i might only get to do it once in a bluemoon or not at all if it is on a sunday...

I want to have a go at HFT, have grabbed myself a single shot adapter for the R10 and will give it ago next time the 3rd Saturday of the month falls on a day off work, which wasn't this month and wont be next... why are most of these things that i can see held on Sundays :eek:/

If i find an event on a saturday somewhere are most clubs happy to find a space for a complete noob to HFT that has never shot at their club before?

I was lucky enough to get an invite to the local gun club for an guest day this weekend, had an awesome time and got to shoot .22 rimfire bench rest (bit boring), gallery rifle with a .22 semi auto, .44ACP under lever and something (i cant remember what) that shot 9mm ammo and cycled the next shot with a thumb lever (they were a new out thing) that was great fun :) But unfortunately they only shoot that discipline on a Friday evening, which i rarely get off, i also had a go at 'Practical Shotgun' which was great fun and saw me have my first ever go of a shotgun (well 2 actually) a semi auto and a pump action, I really enjoyed it and would love to have another go but unfortunately they only run that once a month, you guessed it, on a Sunday... :mad:

So all these timing hurdles have made me start to think about hunting, it offers a lot of flexibility as to days and times etc, now i've never hunted anything in my life so have no idea if i'd enjoy it or not tbh but it seems from the forums that people get great satisfaction out of it and it offers a good variety, but as a complete and utter noob how does a person get in to hunting? Where would i even start!? I wouldn't want to go to the effort of gaining permission to shoot somewhere and then hating it or not being able to do it justice for the land owner and also potentially taking the opportunity away from another shooter who may be able to do both. I know there is Petes Farm (And i have joined BASC with this in mind) but most people say it has been over shot and given i have absolutely no idea what i'm doing i think it'd lead to great disappointment as i'd never know if it was just me being crap or 'just the way it is' there...

So as per the title really, where do i go from here? How does one get in to hunting as a noob, is there anywhere i can go and pay for a day and get shown the basics? Are there any other gun clubs not a million miles from east hertfordshire that have more 'active' disciplines of shooting? Any clubs i've missed that run HFT events on Saturdays or even weekdays?! Any competitive/fun areas of the sport i have missed?

Thanks in advance for any replies...

Paul

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

You can go to places on a pay as you go basis,IMHO not worth it,are you local to any farmers? Sell them a pest control service,for free!

If you dont like it or can't do it,usually there will be another shooter local to you who can take over from where you left off,other than that..most clubs shoot sundays for HFT/FT and will let near anyone join in aslong as you're going to or already are a member, and it's great fun,personally I prefer FT.

If you can't make it every Sunday, spend the Saturdays practicing or get some friends together and organise a small competition,alternatively,shoot the course on any day and compare your scores to the other shooters (works if the course is the same ;) )

3. dan84

dan84 Member

Pay as you go basis for hunting??

Please do share...

I would have a go at that.

4. tintin

tintin Engaging Member

I joined a club and shot for a year before going out to get permissions for controlling pests, and I only did that once I felt very confident about my abilities to hit a 5p piece consistently at my hunting ranges.
    This link shows quite a few HFT clubs in the South East.
    You will need to visit the individual club websites to see when they are open.
    http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  5. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I can't remember the places but I know there are locations where you can pay for a days hunting (or on how much you shoot? )

IMHO a permission is better,it's not shared and you could be doing someone a favour,for free!

6. Pete2013

Pete2013 Busy Member

You could try Pete's Airgun farm, just give it a google and phone Pete. It's a pay as you go range set in farmland. Once you have done your induction, shown your insurance, you can go over there, zero your rifle at the range and then have a mooch about the land for any species under the general licence. Might be worth a try it is not that far from you. Pete will give you the directions.

7. Clubshot

Clubshot Clubshot

Great Place for Practise and indoor Scope Setting -

But as most who use it will explain that Wildlife is very thin on the Ground ;)

BOB/R

8. PaulJC

PaulJC Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, i definately think pest control/hunting is something to try in the future, i'll have a look at other avenues first :)

9. jantar

jantar Donator

Clubs tend to arrange their calanders around the majority of their members so any event is as highly attended as possible. Also some clubs have stringent restrictive rules applied on them by their local authorities.
    To obtain shooting 'permissions' on private land is also a hard thing to acheive. But is something you must have to be within the law.
    I do feel for you, having been there and done that, but the same applies nowadays as then. If I were as keen on getting the shooting in I would be looking for another job that gave me the time off I wanted. I went self-employed during my working life and found that to be great for doing what I wanted when I wanted because I could fit the work around it. Problem is that it only works if you put your all into it until it gets established and you then get regular customers you can rely on. Sadly my enterprise failed when the .com boom took off and I was out competed. My shooting then had to go on hold until I retired.
    Pity it is that life is one huge compromise for us all unless we are all millionaires.........

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  10. OzzyJ

OzzyJ Donator

11. Jim of Cov

Jim of Cov Donator

Complete newby here but wasn't there a 'Hunting buddy' thread on here or was that somewhere else? That might give you a taster.

12. PaulJC

PaulJC Well-Known Member

Tintin, what are you classing as 'hunting ranges' and are these 5p hits being done rested or unsupported standing, it'd be nice to have a benchmark...

When i get a free day off i think i will arrange to go to Pete's, even if only to shoot at some longer ranges indoors ;)

13. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Hunting range for me and many others is usually whatever range you can consistently group shots under a 5P,shots have to be in the position you would be at while hunting,we can all print cloverleafs at benchrest but that dosen't matter if we cant shoot in the field :)

14. PaulJC

PaulJC Well-Known Member

Thats kind of what i was asking, what is the typical hunting shot position, do people drop to prone, use physical objects for support, shot off sticks? And what kind of ranges are we talking grouping in to a 5p size, genuinely interested and it'll kind of set a standard for me to work towards :)

15. mattyts

mattyts Donator

usually 45 yards but I've seen people pull off shots at 65 yard and above in good conditions.

people shoot however they shoot best,if you can shoot good standing,stand,if you want to use shooting sticks use them,it's entirely up to you

16. PaulJC

PaulJC Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, i think at the momemt i will get in some HFT type practice somewhere and work on my stating shots so that i can consistently take the HFT 35mm at 35 yards and then decide where to go from there, I do have a bipod which i can use but also practice shooting prone supported by hand and kneeling/sitting, it's all good practice :)