1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

When to introduce my daughter to Air Rifles

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by Stevematthews79, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Stevematthews79

Stevematthews79 Active Member

My daughter is coming up 5 next month, and I was wondering at what age you would consider it appropriate to introduce her to shooting. She's been ferreting with me since she was 18months, in fact the only meat she'd eat for 2 years was rabbit. I would like to hear your views on what age to start, and any tips on getting her interested. Shooting camera film canisters filled with flour was one suggestion from Jamjon when I spoke to him Any other suggestions for the next generation?:confused:

2. Buzz

Buzz Banned

Steve, every child is different, so the question is one similar to "how long is a piece of string" ?
    Physical size and strength is a factor and, as I know very little about whether smaller guns are available, I would suggest that this might be the overriding factor. Being able to understand the need for strict safety measures is also one to wrestle with, some kids being far more likely to obey rules than others. I would say you're probably on to a winner on that front, your child being a daughter rather than a son.
    Set up a PCP on a support and let her eye up through the scope and pull the trigger. See if she likes it and take it one step at a time, but don't leave her for a second until you know she's not going to hurt herself or others.

3. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

If you want to make shooting more fun, make some interesting targets, I thought about blowing some balloons up, or water bombs.

4. FXpoacher

FXpoacher Engaging Member

Tried taking my 5yr old daughter shooting, but the rifle was the problem. The trigger reach and stock size was full size. She couldnt hit the target and lost intrest fast.

If you altered a rifle to fit her and let her shoot at tin cans, it should go well.

My 7yr old daughter has just started 22lr 50m target shooting. First 20 shot's and she got 138points!!!
    She is definatly hooked now!.

5. arrows180

arrows180 Posting Addict

Got my son shooting when he was 6, bought a qb78 for £40 and shortened the stock for him to use. That was 5 years ago, He's totally hooked now.

6. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

try smaller sized rifles like the S200 or things like crossman ratcatcher:up:

spinning targets and tin cans are good fun

7. jamjon

jamjon Posting Addict

mt daughter is 5 and just started shooting she uses my old bsa merlin which i started shooting when i was 5

8. Hardrivejack

Hardrivejack Member

I recently took a couple of my sons with me. One is aged 8 and even with a junior rifle it was too big and heavy for him. He ended up putting the stock under his armpit and couldn't really see down the sights to aim...it just went in the general direction, however he loved it.

He eventually started laying down and resting the barrell on a post which helped.

9. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

to practice you can start the kids off with an SMK Co2 thing.

if the stock is too big its not an expensive rifle so you can cut the stock down

10. EX Mod Cog

EX Mod Cog Keyboard Hero

Or you could get a Weihrauch HW25L, that's designed for small hands :up:

11. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

springers are good for older kids but the little ones won't like the loading and recoil

12. sharpshooterpete

sharpshooterpete Donator

what about getting her to use an air pistol?? thats if you can't find a rifle to fit her.

13. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

you can get a pistol from crossman that has an atachable butstock (sold seprate

14. Stevematthews79

Cool. Make a good toy for me whilst she's staying with her mum:) THinking about starting her off with a laser so I can see what she's pointing it at. Do you know what model it is? Want to know if the adjustable stock can be cut down to size to fit her.

15. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

16. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

17. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

got this off uttings, the stock is below the gun;)

Crosman Pistols[​IMG]1377 PistolThe world's most powerful pistols. With Crosman pump power - this means more pumps, more power!
    [​IMG]• Bolt Action
    • Wt: 32oz
    • Length: 13.63" (34.6cm)
    • 200 fps up to 570 fps
    • Crosman pump power.177£73.99 [​IMG]General accessories click here
    Shoulder Stock - for 1377 pistol (also fits 2240)Shoulder stock fits in seconds and gives your pistol rifle like accuracy!
    [​IMG] Shoulder stock£18.95 [​IMG]

18. Stevematthews79

The 2240 model that the stock fits looks the most likely candidate. Can you fit accessories to crossman pistols i.e. Hawke laser I have kicking about in a drawer somewhere? Couldn't be bothered pumping the other model up! Hangover from using a stirrup pump on my PCPs!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  19. a1gunner

a1gunner Pro Poster

i think you can scope it up but not sure on the accesory side of things:confused:

its only like 5 pumps for a shot and i dont think it runs at 12ftlbs so the pumping should be easy