1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. PLEASE READ
    You are breaking the forum rules if there is no comment on a sales or wanted thread by either the buyer or seller. 
    Or regarding to members manufacturing things stating something is going to be discussed and initiated through pm.
    I.e. 
    A buyer in manufactured section hi I’m interested in some work by you pm incoming.
    Or seller in a wanted add, hi I can do that for you pm incoming regarding it.
    Or a normal sale, hi I want to buy your item
    If a manufacturer gets asked privately about a sale they should say to the prospective buyer please comment on my thread to adhere to forum rules.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

Wheat mania!

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by engraver, Aug 31, 2014.

1. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

So last night I returned to the laid wheat field once again having shot over 60 woodies on there over the last two days I knew there would be double that feeding on it on and off all day so with the damp conditions preventing the farmer from cropping it, as each day passes he is feeding probably 200 pigeons morning and afternoon.

So yes many would think that shooting 60 is enough but in these circumstances its a matter of fighting the b*****s off what is left of a pretty bad field of wheat, and going on cost of diesel seed pesticides and everything else, I doubt this yield on this field will break even.

So this time I took the Rapid and decided to go to the sitty tree at the far side of the field and build a hide and get comfy[​IMG], only trouble was the wind was very blustery so after I got set up and in position I had some practices shots and even at 25yrd my impact was a mildot left and a mildot above, I say mildots but I mean the lines on the lightstream ret, I don't know if they equate to real mildots but hey I just use them as a benchmark, that's all too technical for me, I aim I watch for impact I use:eek::D[​IMG]

The reason I set up here is the fact when shooting here the other day with the shotgun it looked a dead popular tree again and the truck is splattered with plenty of poop which is a good sign, and I had already had 11 the first night I just went for a look at the field using the Regal with no hide no decoys anything just stripped down, all simple which was exhilarating.

This time I had a hide, 12 shells and, a comfy fishing chair, rapid monopod and most important flask of tea, so it was a matter of sit an wait.

Not so much as 5 minutes passed and the first two birds fluttered into the tips of the branches fighting the wind, so I raised the Rapid, placed the crosshairs where I wanted them and slipped the trigger, the woodie tensed up and crashed down through the branches with a thud on the dirt track below, one down, as each fell I went out and placed them ontop of the corn like so [​IMG], so close to the tree in fact it forced them to land in it, with no possible approach it worked a treat.

It was a frantic hour or so with woodies coming and going circling the field constantly and as I shot them, the spread got bigger the sport increased and I ran out of pellets in the mag costing me a few more easy shots as some birds were now landing on the lower branches making some dead easy 20yrd head shots, some did get missed also not going to lie, branches blowing around in the wind it was inevitable.

However the Rapid performed great always a reminder why it has a place in my gun cabinet, the new lightstream was like hunting in HD I felt the pigeons were sat on my nose, so that was great all in all probably my most enjoyable day this whole summer, not the biggest bag but enjoyable non the less, I called it a night on 20 birds,:up:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I was a lovely night as the wind dropped and the other side of the hedgerow opened up to wonderfull views of the grassland below, as I left I thought could this be the last of the summer woodies this year, maybe....but its been a good one.:up:[​IMG]

2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

Nice one mate!

Nice to put a face to a name, I'm coming to yours for a holiday:D

3. harry brown

harry brown Banned BANNED

Another great read Elliot,

I'm getting nervous about when we all eventually meet up, you'll put the rest of us to shame!

4. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

:D don't be mate, Im simply an opportunist shooter, read the land with time on my hands, my rifle shooting is nothing special always shoot off my sticks, freehand Im terrible.

5. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Very good read, fella. The only proper woodie shooting I get to do is with a shotgun, unfortunately. Would love to have a proper crack at them with an air rifle one day.

6. Pidlar

Pidlar Big Poster

Cheers for sharing Elliot. Great read and photos.
    Regards. Stu.

7. themadspread

themadspread Donator

good read as usual bud looked like a good day

8. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

Nice article Elliot.

Like the selfies!

9. warrenater

warrenater Donator

you done it again elliot , another good read , :claping:liked the pics again but as you are in barnsley perhaps you could get permission round jeff hamiltons so we can see some flowers too lol. atb gary.:)

10. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Thanks lads yes I really enjoyed it last night, would have been a great night to film the action.

And yes Just an experiment James with the selfys I had to really think hard about trying that I wont in future:D:eek:

Nearly broke the camera with my ugly mug, but it doesn't take as good a shot that way around as with the other way, is that because the lense is sat in the screen of the phone? its just a Samsung galaxy mini thingy majig Im so not technical when it comes to this stuff, I only had a little basic phone up to last year.

11. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

Hey, you are publishing in an image driven medium. Whether you like it or not people will want a face to go with the words!

12. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

That's what I thought James to be honest cant hide forever lol

13. indiginous3554

indiginous3554 Donator

Another cracking good read. Good shooting Elliot. The photos are top notch. Can't wait for next one.

14. landymick

landymick Very Active

A good bag there,shows you right about the tree & your decoys must have been well placed better than that mug which got in the way.:D

15. Geordie

Geordie Donator

Cracking session there Elliot!
    I see you've got your kit well togged up there mate, it must be getting nippy down your way :p;).

A delightful read and some great pics too. You have a lovely looking permission:thumb:

Nice one bud.:)

16. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Thanks mate to be honest I only put that jacket on as my other jacket was still wet from the day before, I left it hung up in the garage and it hadnt dried.

The weather is changing a bit though mate the t shirts will be replaced with jumpers pretty soon.

17. SteveO

SteveO Top Poster

Good work Elliot, impressive bag there! :up:

18. David M

David M Donator

Well done matey.....:up: Nice write up. It certainly pays to keep your eye's open around the shoot for future opportunities, you chose wisely there...:up: