1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

What's your Holy Grail?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by cloverleaf, Jul 28, 2014.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

We're all drawn to shooting for different reasons; taking varying approaches and seeking enjoyment from different aspects of the sport. Some love to hunt, others love to compete. Some rarely adjust their gear while others can't stop tweaking or fiddling. To some their rifle is just a tool to be used, while to others it's a thing of beauty to be cosseted..

These different approaches offer different goals; we may crave the perfect head shot, the perfect score or the perfect example of a rare gun.. the Holy Grail being the most elusive and hard-to-reach of all achievements.

So, to kick off a slow Monday, what's your Holy Grail? What makes you shudder with anticipation at the mere thought of being lucky / gifted enough to achieve it?

Mine is complete knowledge and understanding. I'm fascinated by the principals that make our rifles work and determined to understand the defining factors that separate an acceptably-accurate rifle from a proper tack driver; a quality, well-designed rifle from something you'd want to bin in 2yrs time, or a pellet you can trust to hit the mark consistantly at range from one you wouldn't expect to hit a barn door with.

Only through proper knowledge and understanding can you legitimately seek to optimise and improve the performance of any of the equipment at your disposal; now or in the future.

While I shoot competitively to an extent and kill stuff when its required, most of "shooting" my time is spent at the benchrest, work bench or PC; chasing the all-encompassing understanding of what makes our rifles tick. One day I hope to have all the answers but for now I'll keep plugging away.. :p

What's your Holy Grail or ultimate goal?

2. Stevie Darling

Stevie Darling Sexual tyrannosaurus

My holy grail isn't from an equipment perspective, but from a permission perspective.

I have been chasing one such permission for about 3 years, acre upon acre of land with an untouched population of rabbits, but alas, the answer is always no. Tree huggers are at play here!!

one day I will secure this dreamy permission:)

3. Kenbarcon

Kenbarcon Donator

My Holy Grail is very similar to Stevie's, in my area there is lots of farms and 1000's of acres which are syndicate shooting only, i would love to be able to use just a fraction of this land to lose myself in for a day, far enough off the beaten track so you get total tranquility and good shooting and it wouldn't affect the syndicates prey in any way.

4. jolo-bolo

jolo-bolo Donator

My ultimate goal is the next rifle in my collection I'm happy with my shooting I hit what I aim at (mostly). I plink therefore I aim. But the next Crosman is always out there for me to find.

5. essex sniper

essex sniper Banned

As much as I love to have a good setup and I have a couple but for me its when your out there on your permission and your on a long stalk and thats the only thing your thinking about .you havent a care in the world and the feeling of achievement when after the long stalk you put the pellet exactly where you wanted it atb

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  6. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

Just being out there is enough for me, I have an air rifle that is good enough for me and plenty of places to go and use it. In that respect I'm very lucky.

Being out and about in the peace and quiet and nothing to think about other than where the next rabbit pops up. Its the simple pleasures that makes it all worth it.

PJ

7. RichieRich

RichieRich Ping!

My goal would be a new permission where i could spend all day there. Take some sandwiches, flask of tea, and set up a hide.

Just doesn't happen on my Golfing permission :(

8. milek

milek Honorary Member

I enjoy introducing newcomers to a HFT course and they come back for more.

9. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

to coach more young'uns in hft, and for me to shoot a 60/60 :rolleyes: also get back to me old form with pistols

10. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

Mine would have to be, buying that one rifle, without any grief from the one who wears the longest trouser's in the household. What a monumental day that would be. To be able to go out, spend an oodle of cash on a lovely rifle and not have to face any music from the wife. KB1

11. tinmanofkent

tinmanofkent Tiger King

Old boys tell me about how many rabbits there used to be. I'm told the countryside would literally move with rabbits as one opened a gate and walked into a field. I hear similar things about fish stocks around the coast. Wether it was ever true or not I think my holy grail is abundance.

12. Shooter86

Shooter86 Engaging Member

an AK47

:D

13. husky

husky Donator

If I was truthfule I wuld probably say enough money to let me collect all the guns I want to add to my collection (and thats a list that grows every day). And while we are at it a 10 meater range with several lanes so I culd invite my mates round for a bit of target shooting. Now where is that Euro lotery ticket.

14. themadspread

themadspread Donator

a perfect perm with lots of different types of shooting you could go to all day any day and not see a sole when you were there perfic

15. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Im living my holy grail right now.

Its been a long time coming but I now have time on my hands, so I obtained a lot more permission about 2 yrs ago and now Ive got probably more than I can cover, as I had quite a bit before I really started plugging for it, but good permission comes and goes through life inmo so you have to enjoy it to the max while you have it, it only takes a farm to change hands and you have lost it.

I choose the rifles that I think have the ingredients to be the best accurate hunting pcp airguns made In my era,

I then test them first on targets, then the real thing and what I call my ultimate days have been to hit 50 rabbits in one session, Ive done it a couple of times, then 50 woodies with just and airgun Ive done that a few times...but 50 seems to be what I call the ultimate number for airguns that's a redletter day.

I also love being out sat in hedgerows all day just quiet and watch the wildlife traffic, it amazes me how close to nature you can be by just sitting still, sometimes in the year I blank just like fishing sometimes its just about being out in the countryside and not seeing a human all day is great for the soul, the good days of 50 plus are sometimes 2-3 yrs in the coming but after many blanks in winter they are more than welcome when they finally arrive.

So I don't know what I could possibly imagine with airguns I haven't already done or achieved, pne of the best day Ive ever had was to go with a mate on a permission of his last year, and it was paradise, Ive never seen so many rabbits in all my life, and i've been to a lot of good rabbit spots but his permission was the best Ive ever seen and out of this world beautiful even a waterfall gushing through the valley it was like lord of the rings country and probably where a lot of scenes in movies have been filmed, I can't give too much away about its location but it was steeped in Roman history and I had the impression the Rabbit population up there had been established a long long time before I was ever a glint in my old mans eye, I felt bad on the way home that day as I felt like we had taken from somewhere so beautiful, I can't ever top that apart from my own permission in the form of the woodpigeon hunting.

But when or if the day ever come where the woodpigeons or the rabbits poplutions decline drastically I will happily put the rifles into retirement and shoot the odd target or two.

My hunting opportunities couldn't be anymore fruitfull at present the only thing I imagine is that I keep changing the airguns but I can only go backwards now so the holy grail for me is to obtain some of the 1990s guns I used to crave for as a lad and continue to hunt with them, and I have a feeling they will bag me just as much as the airifles I already own or have owned, its just the nostalgia trip Im after.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  16. Big Uli

Big Uli Donator

My holy grail would be a over/under break barrel air rifle that's PCP based along the lines of the good old German Boar Guns.
    Twin trigger to fire of 2 shots In quick succession

Now that would be a rabbit basher and a half but for now not even available to buy as no manufacturer has seen fit to indulge my insanity :D

17. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

Your wrong mate, its been done somewhere I once saw the engineering drawings for it but never seen it finished, it wasn't just cool it was freakin ice cold mate, love the idea.

18. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

I think mine would have to be shooting multiple magpies. very hard to do, very satisfying when you do it. Fieldcraft and marksmanship are what give me the goosebumps when shooting.

19. engraver

engraver Keyboard Hero

'Sorry to divert but that reminded me of my best airguning Maggie moment, I won a Parker hale phoenix mk2 once in the airgun mags after years of sending in the little slip, anyway after a zero in the garden I took it down to a local farm at my old addres that had a couple of Maggie nest on the edge of a river, so I went down just before dark, and the first night I wound them up into such a frenzie one actually hopped down this hawthorne bush towards me ending up feet from my barrel, anyway I ended up emptying the full mag on them and shot a fair few in nearly as many seconds, don't think I can ever top that experience with maggies as that as the action on that phoenix is so fast it was almost like a semi auto perfect for the job as it was one of the few airguns that you don't need to take your eye off the scope whilst cycling it.:D:up:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  20. trumpetier

trumpetier Pro Poster

waliking my permission on a crisp autumn day.....aahh heaven.I have my holy grail :)