1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

whats the best torch

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by andyw74, Jan 23, 2014.

1. andyw74

andyw74 Member

ive just bought a hatsan at44-10, whats a good torch with a decent beam and good distance?

2. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

What colour light do you want, how much do you want to spend and do you have any batteries already?

3. Tripleteer

Tripleteer Donator

A modded WF501B and Terry1001 is the man to see. Atb Paul.

4. ratman60

ratman60 Pro Poster

yep will second that

5. lodgey

lodgey Engaging Member

I also vouch for Terry

6. andyw74

andyw74 Member

not sure on the light colour really or price, depends on what battery I need, I don't need it to set fire to the grass lol

7. smithys

smithys Busy Member

Modded interesting please say more ive got two 501b one green bulb and one red, with tail switch, so how can they be made better,!!!!!!!

8. Ganton Gunner

Ganton Gunner Super Duper Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

9. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

The preferred mod is to concentrate the beam and get rid of the light spill around the edges. You need an aspheric 28mm lens (from DX or Ant) which replaces the standard flat glass and then you rough the surface of the reflector and paint it matt black. There is a further step for a bit more range and that is to fit a different (more expensive) lens - the Ahorton one which requires a replacement for the reflector and I think that 'some bloke' on here does supply them.
    Doing these mods does improve the maximum range but it tightens the beam such that at close range you might not actually illuminate all of your scopes field of view or it may be too bright. The 501 series of torches is very useful and generally they are quite well made.
    I am trying mods to a torch host that is slightly smaller than the 501 but does have a focussing head which, in my opinion, does make it a bit more flexible for air rifle users. I've got one out now being tested and the first news was encouraging.

10. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

A lot depends on what you need to use the torch for. Red light is generally considered to be the most suitable for night time use, it's right at the end of the (human) visible spectrum and believed to be outside that of many quarry species. Having said that a very bright light is still likely to cause disturbance.
    White light is going to give you the most natural view but is very noticeable, particulalry the type that is 'brilliant' or 'blue' light, many animals seem to be more sensitive to light at the blue end of the spectrum. Green light is also quite popular, it is the wavelength which humans are most sensitive to so will always appear brighter.
    I would suggest a red led torch, I prefer them with a zooming/focussing head as I believe it to be more flexible, for you rifle light and possible a small white light one to keep in your car/pocket.

11. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Big Poster

I use a CREE torch, the beam can be focused to a spot, Mapl-n sell them for £19.99, you can get them off Am-zon or Flebay, for about a fiver, if you don't mind waiting for delivery from China. Good beam, 30yds no problem. Can be fitted to gun, using a normal 1 inch mount. cree-technology-flare-led-torch.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  12. andyw74

andyw74 Member

great info thanks, I will be using it for hunting mostly, so I need a 501 with a red lense cover?

13. andyw74

andyw74 Member

which is best wf501 or 502 as there is both on ebay?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  14. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

I can't remember the difference between the 501 and 502, to all intents and purposes they are the same. If you want red then get one which has a red led already fitted or you could get a white one and also a red 'drop in' which can be swopped over in seconds without tools.
    I suggest getting one which uses a single 18650 battery (which is rechargeable) and you may find one on ebay which is a red led and comes with a rifle mount and batteries/charger.
    Anything you order from China will now be held up by their New Year celebrations and is most unlikely to be posted before February 5th at the earliest.

15. smithys

smithys Busy Member

Brilliant tip for 501, finished mine today and wow what a difference, quality tip. Cheers