1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

whats the best sub £300 NV monovular for scanning fields

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics and Illumination' started by keithy, Jun 22, 2014.

1. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

Hi I am after a hand held NV monocular for spotting rabbits in the field, whats the best value for money guys? Max £300.

2. r10hunter

r10hunter Honorary Member

It kind of depends on the distance you want to see, how covert you want to be, and how much you want to spend.

I have the yukon digital ranger £300 new £150- 200 second hand. And the yukon digital ranger pro £650 new £300 second hand. Both are great bits of kit.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371070312067
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360633527474

But you can get units that will spot rabbits for £100 and make a DIY unit for less.
    These are good and often go for under £100
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181443852903
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00303WPRU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1403434967&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40
    What sort of ranges do you want to spot at?
    Do you have night vision on your gun?

If you have NV on your gun and find it heavy to scan with held at eye level all the time you might get away with just buying some video glasses to let you scan with the gun slung on a sling at waist level.
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  3. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

Yes the gun is too heavy for constant scanning, need a good range from the monocular 200yds ish and nice and bright.

4. jimjamman

jimjamman Engaging Member

IMO get a Bresser off e bay and fix a t 20 to it...

5. wizard1963uk

wizard1963uk Donator

im intrested about the video glasses anymore info on them and how to rig them up ?

6. r10hunter

Some good quality ones going at a good price here with 4 hours to go.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181440095181

They just plug into any video out ( from a camera, or any commercial NV unit with video out) the photon won't show cross hairs but can be used to scan.

They have a built in battery that lasts many hours.
    You want to rig up a sling that holds the gun at waist level and takes the weight.
    An sa80 sling fitted backwards can be used as a normal sling and then lengthened and looped around the butt so the gun hangs correctly.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cheers Andy

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  7. wizard1963uk

wizard1963uk Donator

thank you for the info mate and the links :)

8. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

Hi been doing some research narrowed it down to Yukon ranger or yukon nv 5x60 gen 1, the gen1 is a consideration as it has a lithium battery and runs for up to 72 hrs without using the ir. the bresser is still in the running but it appears to have a small picture so scanning a field will be hard work due to small field of view? what do you think of my choices guys?:rolleyes:

9. r10hunter

I have the yukon ranger and the yukon ranger pro. Very good bits of kit. Completely covert the use pulsed 940nm ir so no red glow.
    Cheers Andy

10. keithy

keithy Keyboard Hero

Just missed a yukon ranger pro on ebay I was the top bidder and then after I went out it suddenly rose by £92 to £292:mad: Any how last night i tried my new Bresser 5x50 and found that althought the picture is a bit harsh at close range (very like a film negative) at longer ranges you can indeed spot the rabbits quite easily upto 140 metres or so as it says in the booklet.:D The picture is nowhere near as good as my NS50 but it does the job i want. I will try next time illuminating objects with the NS50 ir and then see what the difference is in picture quality should give me an idea if additional IR is worth it.

11. r10hunter

Yep hate that about eBay just when you think you have a bargain lol!!
    All you need to do is see where the rabbits are so I don't think the picture quality will matter. The bresser sounds like it will do the job for you perfectly with a little more IR.
    Cheers Andy

12. mhgh9

mhgh9 Engaging Member

Amazon.co.uk loads on there some cheap but really good lots on the for under £300

13. kermitboy1

kermitboy1 Banned

I have bought a Yukon Exelon, and I am really pleased with it. Got my one from Amzon, for less than £250 delivered in one day. Love it. KB1.

14. anchovie

anchovie Banned

the best nv you can get is to go to aldi and get a big bag of carrots and prepare by eating 5 l/bs a day for 2 (maybe 3) weeks then when you're just about to go out is overdose on carotene , well it works for rabbits although i've not tried it myself :D