1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

Question What would you expect the power to be.........?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by man-tee, Mar 19, 2014.

1. man-tee

man-tee Engaging Member

Hi one and all,

So I have my (new to me) shiny Daystate in .177 and I am very pleased with it.

I do need to test more but for now the average power at the sharp end is under 10 ft lb.
    I just wanted to get a general opinion of pcp power levels from members please.

Many thanks to you all.

2. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

I'd ideally want around 11.5ftlb.. but of course this will depend on pellet type and mass, fill pressure... ;)

3. jps norton

jps norton One Hit Wonder

Anywhere between 10.5 and 11.5 would be acceptable.
    If it`s under 10ftlb I`d say it is a little low.

As cloverleaf said ... it would depend on the weight of pellet you are using when testing the Daystate

Which Daystate model is it?

4. timmytree

timmytree Pro Poster

It may creep up a bit but personally I would want it reset at around 11ftlbs.
    Under 10 is not acceptable.

5. mattyts

mattyts Donator

10.5 - 11.8

6. secretagentmole

secretagentmole Low down, dirty and quiet...

1) What pressure have you filled it to? They do have a Max fill level and a Recommended fill level.

2) What pellets are you using? Lightweight and 4.5mm will not be as powerful as a heavyweight 4.52mm.

7. djwalker

djwalker Donator

yep that sound crap

8. critter

critter Donator

I like mine to be around 11.3 keeping them within the law but nearer to 12 than 10. Anything below 10 I would get looked at but daystates are not cheap to have serviced.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  9. man-tee

man-tee Engaging Member

Update:
    It was just filled in the shop to 200psi. This is where it was tested at below 10.
    I've fired about 10 before this test from full. (Spec says 80 full powered shots so just in the yellow zone)
    It's a Regal .177 and I have AA Fields so the weight on the tin is 8.4g
    I've just put a few through it on the Cromby cb-625 Mk4.
    FPS PDS
    760 10.77
    762 10.84
    765 10.92
    767 10.99
    767 10.82
    763 10.86
    765 10.92
    To me this looks much better. Where as I thought I would be talking it back to Daystate now I don't see any point.
    There must be heavier pellets which would push up the readings.

10. mattyts

mattyts Donator

I would be happy with that..adequate power and little chance of breaching the limit :up:

11. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    those readings are just about bang on mate. a bisley magnum (10.65 grain) will prob push it up to 11.5ftlb - perfect.
    Maybe just fill to 180 bar in future

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  12. man-tee

man-tee Engaging Member

Thanks Stevemandm and Mattyts, I am much happier now, especially as I don't need to send it away any more.
    Would you say that the 'bisley magnum (10.65 grain)' are about the heaviest .177 pellets you can buy?

Are there still sample packs of different types people sell so you can try so see which one suits best, as I've only had the AA Field.

13. mattyts

mattyts Donator

There are heavier,I think Piledrivers are pretty heavy and RWS brought out a really heavy pellet recently.

Yeah,there are still sample packs going around

14. secretagentmole

Depends where you go, RFD/Gunsmith near me charges £40 plus parts to service a Mark 3! He is a Daystate accredited service agent as well!

15. secretagentmole

To the OP, I have one of the heavier pellets that is hellishly accurate in my BSA Super 10. It is the Defiant Ogive 4.52mm 11 grain. Now seeing as we may not be far apart, why dont you PM me the town you live in and I can see if I am wombling through at any point, especially if you are over towards the Lincs border area! See what power and precision you can achieve with a superb pellet (I do not rate JSB at all).

16. edtwozeronine

edtwozeronine Donator

I don't think Ft/Lbs matter much so long as you can hit what you're aiming at. My TX200 is 10 Ft/Lb and every bit as accurate as my 11.5 Ft/Lb HW100.

17. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    as said, there are the piledrivers at 20 odd grain, but they are really for fac, and would be used and probably tested as such.
    the heaviest 'readily available' ones are bisley magnums 10.65 gr, crosman premier ultramagnums 10.5gr and weihrauch magnums 10.4 gr.
    we have the crosmans and the weihrauchs (the ultra loves both), so if you pm me your details, we will send you a few to try.

ps, h&n make their baracuda match 10.65gr, weihrauch magnum 10.4gr and bisley magnum 10.65gr - essentially the same pellet of varying quality and weight (quality is in this order, starting with best) ..... boring fact, but some say i'm a geek !

18. man-tee

man-tee Engaging Member

Thanks to you all for your posts.
    There is some real kindness on this site, and after the rubbish week I've had that is very welcome indeed!
    Cheers.

19. man-tee

man-tee Engaging Member

From Stevemandm
    as said, there are the piledrivers at 20 odd grain, but they are really for fac, and would be used and probably tested as such.
    the heaviest 'readily available' ones are bisley magnums 10.65 gr, crosman premier ultramagnums 10.5gr and weihrauch magnums 10.4 gr.
    we have the crosmans and the weihrauchs (the ultra loves both), so if you pm me your details, we will send you a few to try.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've pm'd Stevemandm but wanted to publicly thank him for his generosity.
    Asking no payment or help with postage I was sent some samples of both types of pellets.
    (and I am a complete nobody, still can not believe someone could be that kind)
    What a very kind person, thanks to you and these forum pages.
    So many good people offering sound advice, it's very unusual that someone speaks out of turn.
    A large bunch of decent people - thanks to you all.
    All the best.

20. mark112

mark112 Engaging Member

Hi,

Some figures to consider from my S400 (10 shots of each pellet fired in sequences of 3 in order to eliminate power curve from the equation):-

JSB Exact 4.52 8.4grain 11.1ft.lbs
    Daystate Heavies 10.25 grains 11.67ft.lbs
    Bisley Magnums 10.6 grains 11.47ft.lbs

Point is that it may not be the heaviest pellet that produces the 'goods'. You'll need to try/chrono as many types as possible.

Mark