1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

What would YOU buy with £2k if looking for a general target rifle?

Discussion in 'Anything Airgun Related' started by jesim1, May 26, 2014.

1. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

What would you pick if you were given £2k to spend on any modern sub 12ftlb air rifle for general target shooting?

There are lots of threads having a go either positive or negative at various guns, so it got me thinking - leaving calibre to the side, because we have done that to death ;) - What is the "best" 0.177 gun generally available without spending over a couple of grand or having one customised etc? So off the shelf.

By "best" I mean most accurate, consistent, decent shot count, PCP, style, quality - and it's probably a combination of all of this. I don't want to consider hunting in this - just because there are so many other factors like for example - weight or quarry, that would contradict a lot of the other parameters and make this a never ending debate, so just trying to keep it simple and stick to general targets.

So we are looking at something new - because then there is no argument how much you would pay for one - it's the price in the shop, not a lucky buy from a mate.:rolleyes:

Something mass produced with no more than say a 6 week waiting time - so generally available.

Top price of say £2000 as I don't want to rule out the likes of Airwolfs as they are so popular, but don't want to go much higher as guns at this price become unrealistic to buy for the majority of people.

I'd also like to keep it to real guns, not one offs or ones which have not yet been launched - so no customs or concepts, but limited editions are fine if they can be purchased in the price.

So remembering price does not directly equal happiness, what would you buy?

James

2. mattyts

mattyts Donator

one from the Anschutz range,then spend the change on optics :)

3. andyz1000

andyz1000 Banned

walnut prosport and spend the change on beer :)

4. dave goodall

dave goodall Donator

Tm1000 or other models from RAW through twanado hitting the scenes big in the usa bench rest ect hate to think what price it would be tho or even tne edgun bullpup atho the target rifle is now availible the morona

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  5. stevemandm

stevemandm Honorary Member

in a distant galaxy, far far away ....... actually
    bang the 2 grand in a high interest account for 2 years, and by then the aa ftp 900 should be sorted.
    if I couldn't wait till then, I would splash the moolah on a raw tm1000

6. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Why must it be a PCP?If it's for general target shooting, shot count doesn't really come into it does it?

To answer your question and keeping to your parameters, probably one of these... An Impact Airguns GSX-T500, in .20 cal. the change would be used for top quality glass.
    View attachment 97097

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  7. gasman

gasman Up a bit,,,,,,,

[​IMG][​IMG]

got mine already :D

8. Bemused

Bemused Engaging Member

I don't think I should ever buy a 2k gun unless I could pronounce its name :)
    That would reduce this list somewhat for me...

9. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Bee-Two :p : D

10. mattyts

mattyts Donator

Rapid Air Weapons make some nice looking guns,keep seeing ads for them.

11. Accuspell

Accuspell Pro Poster

The RAW 1000 is knocking the socks off the established names all over the world in some disciplines. It depends on what kind of "general targets" you mean. 10m? 25m? or field target types. Different entirely. The proper target rifles would be from Walther or Steyr. Field type targets the RAW. Bell ringing you want a FWB300, or 124!
    You need to think long term if you are spending that kind of money too, although Impact are doing their best, have they depth of resources to actually keep going? How many rifles a month do you have to sell to pay just one man's wages.....so how many a month to pay for a premises, several men and office staff......?

Edgun is selling loads, already up to 500 units a month (4500 a year at the German show) but are they for serious target shooters.

12. Chinnymonster81

Chinnymonster81 Busy Member

Thought all the Anshutz range were set up as 6ftlb as they are primarily 10m rifles, plus you are looking at £2K upwards new. You'd need to source a good 2nd hand one thats already been modded like Craig's (gone fishing).

13. olas

olas Newbie

£2K?! That's easy!

early 77/97, CS700 stock, V-Mach kit, LightStream 4.5-14x44,

and enough money left over to either buy&insure a car, or go on holiday!

14. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Super Moderator Staff Member Mod/Admin

My first port of call would be a TM1000 or (budget permitting) something from Steyr, Anschutz, Walther or FWB. Sadly nothing originating from our fair isle :(

15. milek

milek Honorary Member

I would buy another Ripley tomorrow if this one went and its easy to pronounce too.

16. tintin

tintin Engaging Member

You don't need to spend £2000 on an air rifle in order to buy something decent - in fact only a handful of my shooting buddies have spent over a £1000.
    If you are going down the route of full time Field Target shooting then £2000 will buy you the top end of what is available.
    If you join a local air rifle club and speak to the guys there you will get the opportunity to try out a range of kit and that will give you a better idea of what suits you.
    A second hand serviced Pro-Target mk111 is about £450 and you will never outshoot it.

17. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

Unless you is Johnathon Woss, in which case it's a Wipley;)

18. pkfusion

pkfusion Newbie

FTP900 without question. Not pellet fussy, laughs at the british weather, accurate, large shot count, beautiful to look at and a pleasure to use. The only 60 at this year's worlds (HFT) was shot with one.

19. jesim1

jesim1 Kit bitch to the Stars

There are some great guns coming out here - there seems to be a lack of multi shot versions, probably because they are not so popular for competitions.

James

20. Ichabod Armacost

Ichabod Armacost Donator

A bit unnecessary I would have thought? plus single shot gives the opportunity make sure your pellet is seated right every time? Well that's how it seems to me. Interesting thread though, and some of the comments / posts have given me a bit of cause for thought.:up:

Last edited: May 27, 2014