1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear members,

Our membership (like our country) consists of people from all walks of life; different in far more ways than can be listed here and each with a different view based on their experience of life - regardless of their colour, religion or cultural heritage. Every single person in the UK has been born of mixed race – we are a multi-coloured and multi-cultural country.

As many of you are aware there are a handful of individuals amongst this membership that persist in making provocative, inflammatory, racist and otherwise offensive comments. This has been happening across the forum to a certain degree but is most especially prevalent in the Adult section.

The moderation team has tried to stay on top of this, however unfortunately because of the ‘offensive’ nature of much of its content we don’t monitor the Adult section quite as much as perhaps we should. As a result much of this behaviour has gone unnoticed unless it has been reported to us. While the team always intended to take a "light touch" approach to the Adult section it would seem that some people aren’t quite adult enough to be left unmonitored after all.

This behaviour is, and always has been against Forum Rules as well as the specific stipulations of the Adults forum and it will no longer be tolerated. We feel it's time to draw a line in the sand and as such from this point onward offenders will receive an immediate and permanent ban from the forum.

In order for us to achieve our goal of restoring the forum to the friendly and tolerant place it once was, we ask that ALL members be mindful of the content they post and help us to stop unacceptable behaviour by using the 'Report' tool at the bottom of any offending post - the results of which can be seen only by Admin/Moderators.

You should all receive a copy of this message by PM. 

To close this message box, click on the 'X' in the top-right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Postings on Politics, Religion & Controversial Off-Topic Material

The majority of users do not want to read about these subjects and people have left the forum as a result of it – this is after all an 'Airgun' Forum. It’s all very well to say they don’t have to read it if they don't want to, but as most of us use the ‘New Posts’ button there is no easy way to avoid it.

All AGF staff members are in favour of people being able to discuss what they want, but we have to draw the line somewhere if it is upsetting other users. We don’t want to read about these topics either.

IMPORTANT- The discussion of politics and religion is no longer allowed anywhere on the forum (including the Adult section).  The only exception is if it's airgun related - they must be put in the Airgun Related Politics section..

We will not tolerate bullying or personal attacks, racism or any other offensive 'isms'. we will remove these topics from the forum, we will not give you an area where you can abuse each other. We will not hesitate to ban offenders.

To clear this text box, click on the 'X' in the top right-hand corner.

Dismiss Notice

What To Do

Discussion in 'Night Vision Optics' started by Regal Man, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Regal Man

Regal Man Keyboard Hero

I'm thinking about getting night vision, thinking about a addon, or going sod it, I'll have a digital scope instead.
    I believe, you get what you pay for. So I'll say 1.5 k
    On a digital scope.
    What I have at the mo, is a light stream, 4.5×14×44. Love the scope. Will a Addon work well with one . Or should I think about parting with it, to make way for a digital day/night scope. And carry spare batteries with me.
    As tital says, what to do.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  2. PW1

PW1 Shooting the breeze.

Well worth looking at the Pard NV008 scope, it seems well regarded as was the Pard NV007 add-on.

Regards
    Peter

3. Regal Man

Regal Man Keyboard Hero

I've had a look at the ,pard007, it looks ok. But wondering, if it's worth the money, or it's been made on the cheap, and cost is due to tax and shipping.
    If was to spend another 400 on a scope, for airrifle use, it would be near to end.
    But when, this night vision is talked about 400 seems the starting point, going up to into the thousands

4. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

No digital scope is going to give as good an image as even a cheap optical scope (reasonable brand) so if your night usage is a relatively small part of your shooting then a rear add on is likely to be the better option. Building your own is by far the cheapest way to go and you can get a top performing unit for around £200 which you can swap between scopes as required. If you are looking at only night usage then a dedicated nv scope, such as a Photon, is the way to go. You need to consider your priorities before deciding.

Tim_B and Regal Man like this.
  5. warrenater

warrenater Donator

For 1.5 K you can have a dedicated night vision rifle with a photon on it .

6. Regal Man

Regal Man Keyboard Hero

That is true, but you know I've got the holy grail, of a gun,At long last. No way would I gamble, on another gun and take a chance, I'm more than happy with the gun I have. As you know its, been known, to out shoot, your FAC Rapid in the field.
    I do see your point though, but I'm not going, down that route.

7. Regal Man

Regal Man Keyboard Hero

You really are, talking sence. Night shooting, will only be a small part of my shooting. Do you think a Addon will work on a Light Stream ?
    I do prefer, to look through the scope, rather than looking at a screen, mounted on top. So what would a great add on cost. Is it better than clamping?

8. terry1001

terry1001 Major Poster

If you want to 'look through' a rear add on it's going to mean moving your head back some way in order to see the near eye screen and any recoil would give you a black eye! People do use them but it's not for me.
    Having a screen does mean a change to your shooting but it doesn't have to be mounted above your scope, you can put it anywhere you like - within reason. I prefer to have mine on the left side of the scope, about half way along and I shoot with the rifle held at chest level, not in the shoulder. This suits me well and the screen is dimmed and tipped down a touch so that the light doesn't illuminate my face too much. It helps to preserve my night vision while using a Photon/X Sight or other near eye device means that one eye retains night vision while the other can see nothing which I find unsettling.
    I have no experience of a Light Stream scope but it is probable that it will work fine, it's only a few top end scopes that have IR cut coatings.
    The little experience that I have with add ons offered for sale is that they are either over priced, under specced, just rubbish or a combination of all of these and I much prefer one that I build myself. Self builds allow you to tailor it to suit all your requirements rather than having to fit around someone elses idea of how you should shoot. A really top spec home build should be possible for less than £200 including a torch although this would not include a recording facility which is something that has never bothered me. Fitting to your scope is a matter of personal choice and can be influenced by the form of the eyepiece on your scope. I prefer to use a rigid tube which is a snug slide on fit but some scopes have a threaded section surrounding the lens which can also be used.

mmamonster and Regal Man like this.
  9. Regal Man

Regal Man Keyboard Hero

You are really helpful,. I've been on the internet, most of today and yesterday, looking at add ons.
    And also day and night scopes.
    They both have colour, during the day, black and white at night.

Now I'm more confused, about what to do.
    I'll send you a pm

10. Tim_B

Tim_B Big Poster

A while ago I followed Terry's video and built one myself. Terry helped me with the adapter for the Mamba lite scope and as an add on it works great. As Terry says it was a lot cheaper than buying new and I am sure things have moved on even more since I built mine.

I did struggle a little bit with a screen set up and I also have an original Photon 5x42 with doubler - it's ok and does the job, but there are much better versions out there now.

Unfortunately the only way to see if you like shooting via a screen is to use one.....

From what I see of the latest x sites etc they seem excellent quality - maybe you could start with an older model to see which format you prefer?

Whereabouts in Cambs are you? I might be over that way very soon and I'll stick both in the car :D

Regal Man likes this.
  11. Pellet pinger

Pellet pinger Donator

What rifle is it going on?

12. Regal Man

Regal Man Keyboard Hero

HW100SK.

13. Regal Man

Regal Man Keyboard Hero

You sir, are a diamond, sent you a pm

14. Pellet pinger

Pellet pinger Donator

It’s a no brainer then, the Pard NV008 is what you need, and with your budget you can buy 3!!!!

15. Regal Man

Regal Man Keyboard Hero

You would buy, a pard 008, and do away with the light stream. That's a option.

16. Pellet pinger

Pellet pinger Donator

D090CC53-8602-4B7A-81BF-5B86979B77C9.jpeg 9F78638F-86C9-4559-AB99-AE76D227AD8E.jpeg
    Yes, all day long, it’s basically what i’ve done for my HMR and FAC Impact.
    Let’s be clear, no digital scope will ever be as good as quality glass but there is a compromise when it comes to hunting/pest control and the 008 fits the bill, a one scope solution.
    I’ve made add ons and used Photons but they don’t work in the day.

17. Regal Man

Regal Man Keyboard Hero

I've been told also, from else where ATN 4k pro is the nuts, so now I'm thinking about that too.

18. Herb64

Herb64 Engaging Member

In your budget is the Pulsar NV450 with an extra IR light. Expensive, yes, but superb piece of equipment. Photons are garbage in my opinion, thought it great initially but after a bit of use found it total piece of junk. But the Pulsar

19. Pellet pinger

Pellet pinger Donator

Very good, but different. It’s larger and heavier and you will need a decent ir torch or laser which also adds to the weight, it has an add on rangefinder that links up to the scope.

20. Regal Man

Regal Man Keyboard Hero

That's included with it. The rangefinder