1. The Forum Rules have undergone some minor changes and updates.  Please take the time to read them; it will only take a couple of minutes of your time. By doing so, you lessen the chance of incurring the wrath of the moderation team or making yourself look foolish to other members.

90% of users posting adverts in the Sales forums need to be reminded to read the rules as their posts are wrong.  This is unnecessarily time-consuming and will no longer happen - if your advert doesn't follow the Sales Rules it will be deleted and you'll have to start all over again.

To close this box once you've read it (and the Rules), click on the X in the top right-hand corner.

Thank you.

AGF Staff

Dismiss Notice
  2. A reminder of one of the Forum Rules:

'Behaviour

Do not make inappropriate or offensive posts - including threats, harassment, swearing, prejudice, defamation, deliberate insults or name-calling, other negative remarks about this forum, its moderators and administrators or your fellow members. Even if this is just your own personal opinion, RESPECT YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS.'

There have been changes made to our censoring software in an attempt to help with this growing problem.

Click the X in the top-right-hand corner to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hotmail block emails from us entering your inbox. Unless you can setup a safe sender you will not get activation emails from the forum. Please use an alternative provider or complain to Hotmail.
    Hotmail addresses include.

@Hotmail.co.uk @Hotmail.com @outlook.com @Live.com
    Dismiss Notice

what to do with pigeon

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Thomas241, May 1, 2012.

1. Thomas241

Thomas241 Donator

Hey guys, just waiting on my second rifle to arrive 97kt, i was wondering what you do with all the pigeon you guys kill?
    i dont mind eating rabbit and ive heard that squirrel is quite tastey but iam not too keen on eating pigeon. and some pictures ive seen have
    50 plus pigeons in the catches.
    so do you dump them at the local tip? you cant be eating them all? lol.

2. lewis850

lewis850 Keyboard Hero

if its wood pigeon then yes eat them, cook them like you would a steak,

if feral pigeon then throw in the tip

;)

3. Thomas241

Thomas241 Donator

yea i could see myself eating wood pigeon, their alot plumper, ferral pigeon on the other hand i see as flying rats lol

4. lewis850

lewis850 Keyboard Hero

ye dont touch them mate, the crap they eat.

done some shooting in a factory that has some in and they are flying rats

5. Oilysean

Oilysean Very Active

Nommage for the woody, feral chuck it. I made the mistake of cooking a woody for too long once, Really tough. is exactly like lewis said, Treat it like steak.

6. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

Ferals have a diet of stuff like dogshit and Wotsits, so don't eat them. Woodies, on the other hand make very good eating indeed.

7. CaptainMP

CaptainMP Engaging Member

8. Kwhite1981

Kwhite1981 Busy Member

Sounds like something Heston would cook up, cheesy dogshit pigeon breast on a bed of fag nubs lightly drizzled in tenants super :D

9. Thomas241

Thomas241 Donator

cant wait to try game, to say i like meat would be an understatment, and ive not even tryed rabbit before lol.

10. DaveC_24

DaveC_24 Busy Member

I'll add another vote for wood pigeon - only eaten the one but I'd eat it again given chance. I made a pie out of it, with some carrots, red onions and red wine - was very nice indeed. :)

I've not tried feral pigeon but I don't know as I'd want to bother. Collared doves are also meant to be quite tasty, though smaller than a woodie.

11. pestie

pestie Engaging Member

flash fry woodie breasts for no more than a minute either side, if the middle is still pink when cut, its cooked to perfection

but prefer canadian geese, those in my avitar were breasted,filleted, then fried with red wine and garlic, tasted better than steak, and we got 40 fillets from 10 birds
    saved lots of wonga

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  12. Oilysean

Oilysean Very Active

and they're legal to take! Nommage, Would love to try hunting canadian geese actually. and try the meat.

13. Egg

Egg Major Poster

Woodpigeon has to be one of my favourite foods - they're poor man's pheasant and absolutely gorgeous to eat. There's 2 ways to cook them: hot & fast or low & slow; there's tons of recipes out there, they're a very versatile bit of meat.

One of my favourite starters is done using only the breast:

You'll need one breast fillet per person.

Some quality black pudding - long, thin stuff is best, peppery if you're like me.

Blackcurrant jam.

A bottle of red wine - something decent, I like this with Chianti or Rioja.

Fresh rocket or other salad greens (rocket's got a nice peppery taste to it though)..

Pre-heat the oven to just over 100C

About 10 mns before you're going to serve add 2 glassfuls of the wine to a sauce pan, heat it til it's almost boiling then put a good couple of dessert spoons of the jam in there. Bring to the boil, , stir the mix every now and again and let it reduce to a thick jus then turn the heat down to a simmer.

High heat under a thin based frying pan. Once it's had a chance to heat cook 2 slices of the black pudding per person until they're done to the way you like them (me, I eat my black pudding practically raw but for the sake of this recipe a couple of minutes either side's sufficient). Transfer the BP to the lowest part of the oven, loosely covered in tinfoil.

Give the pan a quick clean, re-heat then rub some oil onto the pan surface using a bit of kitchen towel - if the oil smokes then in with the breasts. NO MORE THAN 45 SECONDS PER SIDE otherwise you'll have a bit of meat that should taste like fillet steak tasting like boiled liver.

Once the second side's cooked for its 45 seconds transfer the pan with the breasts into the warm oven and let the meat rest for a few minutes - no less than 3mns, no more than 5-6.

Place some rocket onto the plate/s, get the BP out the oven and put a couple of slices onto the rocket.

Rescue the woody breasts from the oven and slice them nice and thin (hopefully you've not overcooked them and they should be good & pink). Drape the slices of breast over the BP and the rocket then drizzle the warm blackcurrant/wine jus over them.

Eat.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  14. theobencarbine88

theobencarbine88 Post Whore

heard they tough as old boots ..... i normally just flash fry pidgeon breast. roasting whole sumtimes but to be honest hardly enough meat for the effort of plucking, gutting, trimming, tieing e.t.c

15. Bwarnos

Bwarnos Busy Member

Pigeon is tasty, best thing to do is rip the whole breast right out. No plucking or gutting! Like people have said flash fry is best! YUM

16. Thomas241

Thomas241 Donator

Cheers guys and my mouth is watering now egg hahaha

17. i shot the sheriff

i shot the sheriff Well-Known Member

i cut the breast off the bone, then i like to slice the breast very thinly and fry it in butter for about 10-12 seconds per side, then season to taste and just eat a pan full of that with a nice slab of well buttered french stick.

and when im almost done, i mop the pan out with the end of the stick!

bellissimo......

18. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Donator

One morning we shot three. The one I took home was absolutely lovely - the meat was tender, juicy etc. The one my friend took was okay but nothing special, and the thrid was like leather. I think it comes down to the age of the bird, really. I have heard it sad that if you pick the goose up by the beak and the beak snaps or cracks, the bird's too old and the meat will be tough.

19. Donki Oaty

Donki Oaty Post Whore

I regularly eat Woodpigeon (ferals go in a hole at the back of the farm). I cook them in a variety of ways the next method I have in mind is Pigeon Fajitas!

20. WogerWabbit

WogerWabbit Banned

My kids love pigeon pittas with a touch of mayo :) I personally love them